NEXEN N8000

Cal

At £92.99 each for 255/35/19 they are peanuts.

C rated on Fuel Consumption, Wet Grip and Noise... Better than most at double the price!

Someone talk me out of it?? :surrender:

I don't push the car to it's limits, I'm gentle/boring with it :blush: if I do it's a straight line blast.

Also looking at - Kumho Ecsta KU39, Uniroyal RS3, and Toyo Proxes.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-255-35-19/?filter_m=&filter_s=&filter_t=&lgripAll=on&lwetAll=on&lnoiseAll=on&orderby=prix

Your call.

My only comment would be that you need to account for the unexpected, not the mundane. You may drive like Doris, however not everyone does and if it takes you an extra 30m to stop at 70mph, that could be the difference between not ploughing into the idiot in front and demolishing both cars. Or the tyre not coping with wear very well and you needing to change twice as often.

There is a reason those tyres are cheap, though.

Your call.

My only comment would be that you need to account for the unexpected, not the mundane. You may drive like Doris, however not everyone does and if it takes you an extra 30m to stop at 70mph, that could be the difference between not ploughing into the idiot in front and demolishing both cars. Or the tyre not coping with wear very well and you needing to change twice as often.

Or if your using your phone the extra reaction time needed could be balanced out by a 'better' tyre ;)

Edited by StevoD

Why not buy the best tyres that you possibly can? My dad runs these on his mondeo and I have the same argument with him, he rates them highly and have hardly worn in the time hes had them so assume there quite hard.

I put MPSS on my old girl and its the best decision I have made, 5000 miles in and they hardly look any different since the day they were fitted. The grip is staggering.

• 2 months later...

Your call.

I'm sorry to post in an old thread, but I have to reply to this as this was also my main concern when buying tyres.

The N8000 are great at stopping, actually better than most other tyres. At the test concluded by ADAC last year they were just as good as Continental ContiSportContact5, Michelin PilotSport3 and Bridgestone Potenza S001 for braking in dry and scored the best in whole test for braking in wet (better than Goodyear F1, Dunlop Sport, Pirelli, ...).

These are quite impressive results and helped me bias towards buying this brand. Cheaper price is due to not reputable company name, excessive wear and noise. If you take that into account and don't care, it's not that bad choice :)

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/sommerreifen/2013_Sommerreifen_Test_225_45_R17.aspx?ComponentId=160352&SourcePageId=31821

I don't speak a word of German, so have bodged stuff together from Google Translate: If I'm wrong, I'll put my hands up and admit it. However, to me it would appear that the N8000 came 17 out of 19 in that test. I cannot seem to find the exact braking figures in various conditions though.

*EDIT* Wait, I found it, I think! On the individual tyre page when you click on it from that list, the scores are in the corner, correct? Nass is wet in German, so I used the N8000 figure of 2.3 as a point of reference. They don't give meterage, just a decimal figure (comparison number?). Contis, Michelins and Uniroyals scored better than the N8000, as I believe the smaller number to be better.

Again, if I've misread that then apologies, I will happily bow down to any one who can speak a second language! :lol:

• Like 1

http://www.adac.de/i...rcePageId=31821

I don't speak a word of German, so have bodged stuff together from Google Translate: If I'm wrong, I'll put my hands up and admit it. However, to me it would appear that the N8000 came 17 out of 19 in that test. I cannot seem to find the exact braking figures in various conditions though.

*EDIT* Wait, I found it, I think! On the individual tyre page when you click on it from that list, the scores are in the corner, correct? Nass is wet in German, so I used the N8000 figure of 2.3 as a point of reference. They don't give meterage, just a decimal figure (comparison number?). Contis, Michelins and Uniroyals scored better than the N8000, as I believe the smaller number to be better.

Again, if I've misread that then apologies, I will happily bow down to any one who can speak a second language! :lol:

ur translation is correct :thumbs:

the decimal figures are like grades at school,.....1.0 means best,.......6.0 worst

• Like 1

You are correct, but these are not scores for braking only, but for all tyre properties in dry/wet. For braking scores you can see below Trocken-Bremsen: 1.3 and Nass-Bremsen: 2.0.

I'm not saying that this tyre is better or as good as the others, but for me, braking is the most important part as you probably need it the most in critical situations, so if they cope well here, they're good enough for me. I don't care that much about noise and wear, also not that crazy about sideways grip. If I ever lose grip, they will go well with the sticker on my car "less traction more action" :)

But I didn't have any problem so far, they are not bad at all..

Personally I'd prefer to look at the whole tyre and the capabilities rather than just one tiny part of it, but each to their own. Overall though the ADAC test proves those tyres to be very poor, hence the 17/19 placing.

As always though, as long as you've done your research and are happy with your choice, that's all that matters. :)

I don't often post in tyre debates as there is never an outright conclusion.

So I decided that in the 3 years I have had this car ( the longest I have ever kept one for)

I am still on the same set of tyres that I put on when I got her, Bridgestone 050 whatever 275/40/18 rear and 244/40/18 front.

I have got used to the characteristics and am extremely happy.

In addition they still have 50% of tread left after 16000mls of driving.

I am concerned that someone mentioned that they no longer are making this tyre, and MPSS do not make the size I want.

I am a firm believer that the more rubber on the road the better.

I never have tyres on that are 3mm or below so will be looking at changing in March.

So I am reading these threads with interest to see what's a good alternative.

I never skimp on tyres, and am happy to pay top money for a tyre that is a good all rounder especially in the winter.

Personally I'd prefer to look at the whole tyre and the capabilities rather than just one tiny part of it, but each to their own. Overall though the ADAC test proves those tyres to be very poor, hence the 17/19 placing.

As always though, as long as you've done your research and are happy with your choice, that's all that matters. :)

Actually I don't disagree.

No problem, we can look at the whole tyre, but lets focus to all capabilities in dry and wet, because noise, fuel consumption and wear do not directly relate to road safety which we are talking about.

Dry road: 2.0

Wet: 2.3

That places N8000 before Semperit which is in 7th place. So 7th out of 19.

If poor results are mainly due to excessive wear and not due to being unsafe, then it is the least of my concerns as I will be probably changing tyres after 4 years because of the age, with enough of the thread left.

On the other hand, somebody else who spends a lot of time in his car (maybe even different, more comfortable car) might be mainly focused that the tire lasts long and that its quiet and so on..

So as I said, I know these tyres are not the best if we are looking at the whole package, but considering just the safety, according to adac, they are not bad either.

Edited by lolzz
  • Like 1

I've had mixed experience with budget tyres - it really depends on how 'budget' they are!

I bought a car with Sunny Tyres on and they were pants - real ditch finders.

I had a car with Nankangs on that were very interesting in the wet but absolutely fine in the dry.

I recently had a car with Wanli tyres on and they were good but noisy.

My coupe zed had jinyi tyres on which again were okay in dry but a bit touchy in the wet.

My roadster has a pair of Accellera tyres on the front - which I was advised are a copy of the tread pattern of continental contisports - they have been on for nearly 3 years and have been spot on - and we're cheap as chips.

I'm just about to put the roadster on a set of very lightly used continental contisport 5's which I collected for £280. - 2 are unused and 2 have 6.5mm on.

This is what I tend to do now is but part worns. Being very careful of course. I've had a couple of pisstakes over the years but if you know your consumer law you usually get something sorted with them ;-).

• Like 1

a name is not a criterion,..........most producer started as a low budget brand,....e.g Toyo,Falken,Kuhmo,Hankook and so on

A few guys from the german forum had Nankang tyres on their Z,...........critical at wet conditions but supherp at dry conditions,.............so u must know what u want

Edited by Z_Lover
  • Like 1