BlaqkAudio - STS Turbo Zed Thread

blaqkaudio

Been on here a while now. I think it's a good time to finally start a progress thread and keep everything organized with the Zed :thumbs: lots to report on!

So here's my first car, she served me well!

938eec59-e5da-4153-85a6-cc2125b7a95a.jpg

and here's the Zed when I first picked her up last November 2013...

Came from a loving home in Harrow, only used only as a weekend car always kept in a garage, full Nissan service history, no niggles.

Touring model, 22K miles on the clock

WP_20130922_008.jpg

WP_20130921_005.jpg

I had already become addicted with buying bits before even picking her up...short airiel and Bosch flatblades have already been added. Look great, give a more modern look and work much better than the old wipers

Next on the list was interior LEDs, boot light and map lights

Visors I have left, the LEDs I’ve seen on them in pictures are far too bright for my liking.

WP_20140606_011.jpg

LED number plate lights in & pressed plate on rear

WP_20131209_003.jpg

Next up a new a cargo net originally from a Peugeot, cost £5, fits almost perfect and does it's job

WP_20131030_004.jpg

8k bulbs and LED sidelights arrived, fitted right away, great mod that cost a few cuts to the hands. Old (left) New (right):

WP_20131030_006.jpg

Berk decats turned up. Firstly wow, the weight comparison is crazy which was expected. The original cats with their heat shields really did weigh a ridiculous amount!

WP_20130927_008.jpg

Fitting:

WP_20130929_001.jpg

Comparison:

WP_20130929_002.jpg

Fitted and took for a test drive...I was blown away by the sound! She’s a little monster after 3k revs! No cabin drone and sensible motorway cruising is still surprisingly almost silent :)

Christmas came, got some neat little Z dust caps from the bro.

WP_20140604_010-1.jpg

Unfortunately during the cold and wet winter period I came into contact with a small wooden bollard, put a nice dent in my bumper, needed replacing sooner rather than later...

Had to get a new bumper...couldnt find an OEM one at the time

Here she is after getting her into my mates bodyshop, spraying and fitting over the weekend:

V__1F4D.jpg

V__F86F1.jpg

The bumper also had 2 tiny mounting holes. I measured the diameter and popped up B&Q. Got 2 'lightweight' brackets along with the correct size screw and washers to fit perfectly.

Brackets fitted and new square plate going on, well pleased...

WP_20131210_00120140122232758.jpg

I then decided to experiment with plasti-dip, can turned up, I got to work.

Side repeaters, rear repeaters and exhaust tips done

Really like the matt look it gives and durability is still perfect today (5 months on)

WP_20140606_007.jpg

Next up was my music, I considered a new head unit but I liked everything working as it is with the Bose and steering controls. I saw the AUX mod but didn’t want to go that route either.

So:

Monster cassette adapter turned up, the cool bit red on the cable end pleases me lol

WP_20140606_017.jpg

Then I got hold of a Brodit ProClip dash mount

WP_20140117_001.jpg

WP_20140117_004.jpg

Holder turned up to be attached so that got mounted.

All together and working:

WP_20140117_014.jpg

Looks really smart, does the job, doesnt shake or wobble either :)

Kept an eye on the forums and got myself the Bluetooth adapter so I can finally use it for the first time in the car. I go onsite a fair bit at work and more often than not it’s only when driving that everyone wants to call me! One of the best things I’ve got so far to be honest quite chuffed.

WP_20140606_013.jpg

My ocd started to kick in aggressively with the heated seat switches…why oh why.

Finished result with the switches on appropriate sides and blanking plate in the middle, how it should have been!!!

f1f65f7d-14a7-4965-bad0-85fcc809dbce.jpg

Most recent mod was to finally cure my strange rattling noise in the exhaust system…since fitting the berks I’m confident an old piece of cat broke and fell into the old Y pipe.

Arrived!

WP_20140318_001.jpg

Getting the old one off was so much effort...the bolts just wouldn’t budge even with a day’s WD40 soaking beforehand...we had to resort to spending the majority of the evening angle grinding the damn thing off

Final bolts with new one in place:

WP_20140319_003.jpg

Again...a fair weight saving compared to the old one with its all-round heat shielding

WP_20140319_002.jpg

After fitting we shook the old one and hey presto a tiny piece of cat fell out. Took for a test drive, rattling gone! Also slightly louder :)

I know people slate Japspeed in general but I have no quibbles with this, the welds were great and the fitment was perfect straight out the box

Finally decided I’m going with a purple theme, so to start:

• Magic tree
  • Purple stitched gaiters
  • Sprayed rear strut purple
  • Sprayed drivers side grab handle

WP_20140330_002.jpg

WP_20140330_001.jpg

WP_20140330_008.jpg

WP_20140330_010.jpg

WP_20140330_016.jpg

WP_20140502_004.jpg

WP_20140606_010.jpg

Pipercorss air filter turned up :)

WP_20140424_003.jpg

Managed to get hold of a Motordyne plenum spacer. Grabbed my tools and got to work:

WP_20140424_014.jpg

All fitted:

WP_20140607_015.jpg

Then my new gearknob turned up from EPR was listed as chrome but is actually more titanium looking with a little chrome on top, so I’m well pleased! Came with a neat gear sticker too!

WP_20140606_019.jpg

Molegrips were obtained to remove the standard gearknob...managed to destroy it in the end getting it off!

WP_20140605_008.jpg

At the time there was nothing included to actually fasten the top of the gaiter to the stem of the gear stick, so it was sitting free, didn’t look finished and was loose around the gearstick, wasn’t keen.

So I went to my local plumber store and found this…some rubber shower hose washers

WP_20140604_0011.jpg

End result:

WP_20140513_002.jpg

WP_20140606_020.jpg

Can't believe how well it goes, finished it off nicely :thumbs:

I'd say I’m pretty much done with the interior now, don’t like going overboard and prefer subtle over bold.

Meanwhile

My boot was doing my head in, with the 'pop the release button twice to actually open it'...

So the trim carefully came off with all clips intact

WP_20140606_043.jpg

Boot weight revealed...

WP_20140606_040.jpg

and it's outta there!

WP_20140606_042.jpg

Trim re-assembled, gave the boot a test. 1 pop of the button and it clears the catch! Job done

Quite a read to start with I know! Thought I'd get it all on here up to date!

Hope you guys like it so far, more updates to come as and when :)

Dan

Edited by blaqkaudio91

Looks awesome mate! Need to crack on with mods like this on mine! what bumper and lip is that?? also love the heated seats mod, i will be doing that on mine my symmetrical ocd kills me every time i look at it!

The bumper was a generic one from fast_car_styling on eBay mate, really not the best and I wouldn't honestly recommend however I needed one at the time

My mate owns a body-shop so he had some proper time with my car fitting it professionally due to these things never quite fitting right, to be fair its lasted well over the past 6 months...

Looking good boss. Anything else planned?

Cheers mate :) got some things on the way and planned

Hoping to be mostly finished by the end of the year with the main bits being:

• Coilovers
  • Remap @ Abbey
  • Custom plates
  • Standard bumper to go back on with a subtle lower splitter (got the bumper)
  • New alloys

still loads of other things to come, I just can't leave the car alone! :dry:

• Like 2

Looks awesome mate! Need to crack on with mods like this on mine! what bumper and lip is that?? also love the heated seats mod, i will be doing that on mine my symmetrical ocd kills me every time i look at it!

The bumper was a generic one from fast_car_styling on eBay mate, really not the best and I wouldn't honestly recommend however I needed one at the time

My mate owns a body-shop so he had some proper time with my car fitting it professionally due to these things never quite fitting right, to be fair its lasted well over the past 6 months...

Looking good boss. Anything else planned?

Cheers mate :) got some things on the way and planned

Hoping to be mostly finished by the end of the year with the main bits being:

• Coilovers
  • Remap @ Abbey
  • Custom plates
  • Standard bumper to go back on with a subtle lower splitter (got the bumper)
  • New alloys

still loads of other things to come, I just can't leave the car alone! :dry:

Sounds good to me! Haha yep we're all the same on here!

Great starter mods :thumbs. I really like the plumbing washer for the gaiter, good thinking!

Cheers, I can't believe how well it goes, it just has that finished oem look. I'd highly advise anyone changing the gaiter / gearknob to invest if the gaiter doesn't sit properly on the stem or the gearknob doesn't essentially sit on it to keep it snug...

Will get some more pics up of before and after fitting the washers :thumbs:

PS. Congratulations on getting the boot trim off without breaking any of the poppers. I break at least 2 every time :lol:

a few did actually stay put in the bootlid initially...but I carefully eased them out with some pliers :ninja:

Minor addition today with a much bigger update to follow soon

Mini fire extinguisher from my garage has found a perfect mounting place

- out of sight too unless you really lean forward

WP_20140616_002.jpg

Good way to stop empty bottles rolling under! :thumbs: Might get one myself.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Ok well the next batch of goodies has all turned up! :)

Will be the last for a while (holiday saving due)

• ATE Super Racing Blue brake fluid
  • HEL brake lines kit (thanks CS!)
  • Aluminum centre vent trims (thanks asad!)
  • ???

Fitting this Saturday with the new fluid, hoping for an average improvement in braking

WP_20140619_002.jpg

Vent kit

WP_20140618_003.jpg

Fitted quickly on my break, finishes the interior off nicely

WP_20140618_004.jpg

What's in the box???

WP_20140605_006-3.jpg

Epicness, that's what :blush:

WP_20140617_001.jpg

Scorpion system just to confirm :) little bit dirty but it's just surface dust/dirt, has wiped off to reveal a nice shine, looks almost new. Was wrapped well so no dents, barely any scratches

WP_20140617_002.jpg

and to sweeten the deal it cost me £220 including next day delivery :thumbs:

Will be fitting this myself tonight, looks simple enough to do as a 1-man job? ...

Edited by blaqkaudio91
  • Like 2

The gearstick gaiter with purple stitching, was there anywhere specific you got this from? Or hand made? Exactly what I'm looking for :)

Got them from the 'topgaitors' shop on eBay mate.

Really good quality, come pre-cut and in the right shape.

They do loads of different colour stitchings

http://stores.ebay.c...opgaitersboots/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not updated in while, done a fair few bits I guess :)

Took the car to Kaizer for some HEL Braided lines and ATE fluid change

WP_20140719_010.jpg

WP_20140719_018-1.jpg

Other side door trim now also sprayed purple to match my drivers side (bad lighting does not show the solid purple colour well enough)

WP_20140722_001.jpg

Next up was the centre cubby. Having Bluetooth in the actual cubby defeated the purpose of actually storing anything of reasonable size with that thing in the middle.

I’ve had the whole centre console out before and there’s plenty of room underneath near the back. I removed the unit and then completely removed the false floor, I was pleasantly surprised with 4 sticky packs which were quick thick! I now have an actual empty cubby with a lot more depth. Wallet and sunglasses fit nicely in there now…

WP_20140808_007.jpg

Heater surrounds out…

WP_20140723_002.jpg

Prepped in primer ready for purple

WP_20140723_005.jpg

Painted and re-assembling…

WP_20140723_008.jpg

Whilst this was out I also had some carbon fibre wrap turn up, this was my first ever attempt at this kind of thing :wacko:

WP_20140728_001.jpg

Finished product together with painted surrounds

WP_20140803_004.jpg

Back in the car :)

WP_20140808_003.jpg

I know the whole carbon wrap thing is not to everyone’s taste, not even me to be honest…BUT mine was scratched to hell, I didn’t want to sand the entire thing down to spray and needed a quick clean looking solution, it came out great I think.

Definitely won’t be doing it again though…if I have to re-do anything I’ll be going the dipped route :dry:

Some smart touches to update the interior got an A4 sheet of brushed aluminium vinyl. Cut it to size after perfecting my paper templates! Then and applied to my ashtray cover and rear ciggy cover

WP_20140807_002.jpg

Camera pictures don’t pick up the brushed aluminium finish at all but you get the idea

WP_20140808_005.jpg

Next up will be the middle blank heater switch

Currently:

I have 3 tins of Cadbury Purple high temp paint...in the process of painting the strut feet, plenum space and brake calipers all round :thumbs:

At the moment I just have the strut out, bit of a marmite mod I guess with all the purple and again...outside my camera makes it look more pink :blink:

WP_20140827_002.jpg

More pictures to follow in time :)

Edited by blaqkaudio91

Remember your Corsa from back in the day on Corsa c uk! I'm Elliot had the silver irmscher Corsa with grey trims. Buying a zed myself viewing one this week :)

Long time no speak, I remember your car too!

So you still have the Corsa currently? If your local to me I'd take you out in mine to get a feel for them ;) sure you've already test drove one by now...

• 2 months later...

Haven't been on this for a while...

Few updates recently to report on, mods and maintenance :)

New FK453s tyres on the fronts were fitted - so far they have been great

WP_20140921_001.jpg

New brake pads all round fitted and bedded in properly

WP_20140916_001.jpg

Panel filter and box cleaned out and Flyboys 06 velocity stack mod fitted

WP_20140921_003.jpg

WP_20140923_005.jpg

Random entry pic from a Brands Kleers meet a few months ago, managed to make my car look cleaner than it actually is!

Still filthy though :lol:

FB_20140904_17_04_26_Saved_Picture1.jpg

Lastly I got down to the guys at Abbey for a remap, great service by the way :thumbs:

Mark said it was a good one and made 263whp and 244 torque

When asked for ‘pub bhp’ figures he said it was a comfortable 300bhp which I am more than happy with :)

ae369806-4c0b-4a56-96c4-9cfb5489114f.jpg

Either way numbers weren’t my main concern, the car drives so much better than before which is what I wanted. It’s more eager and lively in the lower gears for definite with more pull throughout the rev range, this I noticed the most :wiggle:

Mark also let me sit in on part of the mapping process for the last 30mins and explained to me all the workings, clever stuff

WP_20141108_001.jpg

Gladly after a year of ownership I can say I’m almost done but I fear this zeditus will never end...just coilovers and new wheels to go!

Wheels are actually in progress currently…I'm toying up using my brother’s old wheels from his S14, only 2 survived intact so it means I only need to buy 2 more which would work out quite cheap for some new shoes.

My existing tyres (fairly new) will fit with some nice stretch. They are XXR 527 alloys in gold…

Test fitting these at the weekend, here are some pictures of them on the bro's S14 :thumbs:

1235281_10202079941738027_1572163465_n.jpg

1380792_10200727537734406_1345817947_n.jpg

images.jpg

Thoughts? go for it?

Edited by blaqkaudio

• blaqkaudio changed the title to BlaqkAudio - STS Turbo Zed Thread