BlaqkAudio - STS Turbo Zed Thread

blaqkaudio

The reason people go for the GC fabrications harness bar is because it's braced within the floor of the car. How come you haven't put the Tegiwa stabiliser bars on? Probably not too safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it's a 'harness bar' with no harness stabilisers? That's not safe at all, especially if you buy it with the intention to use a harness.

My bar didn't come with the stabilisers unfortunately, I'm trying to source some. Anyone know anywhere?

There are better alternatives to those small welded harness stabilisers. If you wrap your harnesses properly to start with it reduce the movement quite considerably.

Best place would probably be Tegiwa themselves. Even though I've heard some terrible reviews of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Well what a bump, it's been over two years and I still have the Zed :surrender: Just cant find anything more fun for the money!

Anyhow, it's only right I upload some pics shortly to show some of the progress as it draws to a close. Car is finally going up for sale next year once the weather starts to improve :thumbs:

So I guess the considerable change came in May 2017, I purchased a STS rear mount turbo system from a member off here.

Everything turned up in two huge boxes and as expected everything needed was there and all brand new :thumbs:

Here are some dug out pics

image 10.jpg

image 13.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20170228_130844.jpg

Edited by blaqkaudio

Car and kit was then taken to a friends who has the space and skill to help me fit it all.

Found the install manual online, printed out and progress started - here are some pictures taken along the way :thumbs:

IMG_20170320_183602.jpg

IMG_20170326_202756.jpg

Work started, intake removed

IMG_20170401_135437.jpg

IMG-20170324-WA0000.jpg

Injectors removed to install new ones

IMG-20170324-WA0001.jpg

Backbox removed 

IMG-20170327-WA0000.jpg

Mock setup of my new back-box to be...

IMG-20170327-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170329-WA0003.jpg

New pieces in place

IMG-20170404-WA0012.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-26 at 2.36.35 PM.jpeg

IMG_20170420_180027.jpg

Edited by blaqkaudio
  • Like 3

Then I had installed a CJM Stage 0 Fuel Return kit courtesy of Elliot on here, also got a Boost controller and installed that too, went back in for its final safe retune

20180619_115243.jpg.a65b82e88617133d0f22e931c4578f28.jpg

A rather moody looking shot from the Dyno room...

20181029_090004.jpg.d0ea8a269e45fa391f8de905e5736d0b.jpg

Car has been running perfectly and sounds ridiculously good every time I drive it, perfect weekend toy :wiggle:

Now pretty much tucked up for the winter and any mods/maintenance to be done in the meantime :thumbs:

More pics to follow as they come off my phone!

• Like 2

• blaqkaudio changed the title to BlaqkAudio - STS Turbo Zed Thread
17 minutes ago, msitpro said:

Numbers?!

What's lag like?

It's running a very safe 355whp

On high boost map when needed its running 375whp 

For me the lag is not 'noticeable'. In standard guise the Zed doesn't lack in low down get up and go, once the boost comes in you're away. Plus due to the extreme torque a turbo can put on these engines suddenly it's been tuned to be as progressive as possible

Edited by blaqkaudio
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blaqkaudio said:

It's running a very safe 355whp

On high boost map when needed its running 375whp 

For me the lag is not 'noticeable'. In standard guise the Zed doesn't lack in low down get up and go, once the boost comes in you're away. Plus due to the extreme torque a turbo can put on these engines suddenly it's been tuned to be as progressive as possible

So between 410-430 ATF with 15% drivetrain loss.

What's 'safe boost' and 'high boost' levels? 7psi and 10psi? 

Do you have a dyno graph so I can see when the turbo is spooling etc? How much is the rear mount turbo kit and where's it available from?

What do you do with Cats etc? Hmm.... It takes a feed straight from a stock exhaust pipe post-cats? Though I suppose it would be far better to go decat, bungs/signal generators. Then some cats post-turbo...

I guess for your level of power you don't need a modified MAF?

4 hours ago, msitpro said:

So between 410-430 ATF with 15% drivetrain loss.

What's 'safe boost' and 'high boost' levels? 7psi and 10psi? 

Do you have a dyno graph so I can see when the turbo is spooling etc? How much is the rear mount turbo kit and where's it available from?

What do you do with Cats etc? Hmm.... It takes a feed straight from a stock exhaust pipe post-cats? Though I suppose it would be far better to go decat, bungs/signal generators. Then some cats post-turbo...

I guess for your level of power you don't need a modified MAF?

Correct, exact psi levels I haven't even checked since having it back on the boost controller (tucked away in the garage for the winter and up for sale soon :shrug: ) Wastegate has a 5psi spring in.

As far as I am aware you can't buy the STS rear turbo kit anymore, company was recently acquired though so it may come back? That said it's an American based company and only available over there.

Cats wise the car has decats, the turbo setup literally replaces the existing backbox and uses the existing exhaust mounts.

4 hours ago, msitpro said:

Sorry, re-looked at photos. Were the injectors part of the kit or bought separately? What is recommended for this kit? 500cc?

DW injectors came with the kit, 600cc which I was told were bigger than the normal supplied ones

Edited by blaqkaudio

2 hours ago, andybp said:

keep an eye on the scavenge pump though definitely the weak link in rear mounts 

:)

Cheers Andy will do :thumbs: kit also came with an in-cabin warning buzzer which I have fitted behind the dash, if the pump fails the buzzer will go off immediately which I've read is deadly loud :surrender:

Edited by blaqkaudio
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, da.murf said:

Great looking car and nice to see a diff turbo setup. One question though, are you not afraid of sucking water into the filter mounted beside turbo?? Know it has a water shield but still lol. Easily done with a big puddle 

Cheers and absolutely! I've been caught out in the rain before with no issues. Torrential rain with flooding/huge puddles let's say is a no no basically. It's not my daily so I just use common sense when deciding to take it out :thumbs:  Wouldnt take it out in that sort of weather if it was standard to be honest :surrender:

Edited by blaqkaudio
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well that's a wrap on this build thread and soon to be my 6-odd years of 350z ownership.

Been through a lot with this car and it truly will be sad to see it go. Everything considered, I'll soon own 3 cars and for someone that works from home it's just not sensible, so she's up for sale :byebye: 

Deposit has now been placed on the new toy which I will be picking up on my return from working in the US.

16th Feb literally can't come fast enough!

It's always been a great forum here over the years so may keep in touch and create a new thread in the relevant area, who knows :thumbs: