350Z to SL350? Advice & opinions

onthatB0MBSHELL

Hi,

Went to look at a 370z for sale local to me, but unfortunately it has been sold, salesman then shows me a Merc SL350, it's a 2004 with 70,000 on the clock and has the panoramic roof. Looks a beast of a motor, never thought of them before as a buying option, but it's given me something to think about.

Anyway, anyone have any experience of owning one of these or has any knowledge about them?

Thanks.

only a SL350? gonna be a bit slow, surely... you'd want at least a V8 if you're comparing it to a 370Z, although the SL500 is still down on power compared to a zed!

I realise the Merc would be down on power compared to the Z, I was thinking more on the lines of it being a big luxury cruiser. It is only a notion I have, Still love my 350.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

haha, its the whole merc sports thing and bmw z series ,apart from the top end mercs with beasty engines? now a Z is a blokes car in the first instance. best way to describe it is, there are male cars and female cars...( i feel I'm gonna regret this!) :scare::lol:

The 500 isn't even all that quick so I think the 350 might actually be a decent compromise. The 500 is almost worth forgetting given the lack of power but huge running costs.

Suspension is a grand per corner on it so make sure it works all ok and doesn't sit pi**ed up because that means mega bucks repairs.

I think it all depends on what sort of experience you are now looking for and how the mood takes you. I think I am going to get just as much pleasure from the XK8 as I did from the 350Z but in a different way. I guess the same could be said for an SL. If you are thinking of going for the arm on the window cruising experience then why not? I tend to keep an open mind - it's not all about speed.

For example, I can honestly say that the most fun I have had in a car was in a 2CV - purely in terms of laughs per mile. In terms of raw experience, however, I'd say an R300. Currently I'm cruising. I also looked at a CLS350 because I think it could be a classic in the making and the R107 SL but the prices are going ballistic. The later SLs are currently a bargain.

• Like 1

I looked at these randomly one day as it does seem like a good bit of car for the money. Right wheels, right colour it looks just as good as today, was behind one last week. BUT yes they can be expensive to fix so I prob wouldn't do it. And ...correct me if I'm wrong, bearing in mind I just glanced at figures, the 350Z on the older SL350s, is slightly quicker in performance? (bearing in mind the merc was a £70K and then add your options).

I looked at these randomly one day as it does seem like a good bit of car for the money. Right wheels, right colour it looks just as good as today, was behind one last week. BUT yes they can be expensive to fix so I prob wouldn't do it. And ...correct me if I'm wrong, bearing in mind I just glanced at figures, the 350Z on the older SL350s, is slightly quicker in performance? (bearing in mind the merc was a £70K and then add your options).

You're not wrong, 7.2 sec 0-60. A fair bit slower than our Z's.

Just had a quick check and yep your right. They did have a slightly faster updated ones at 6-6.5 secs but I was surprised first time I learned that. I just 'expected' a big Merc GT thing like that to have more shove. Meh lol 7 secs tho for a fairly modern SL just seems....slow but I can't say much as its my first 'decent' performance car (my 350Z). I still think the SL's look the part, love the swoopy dash (even if clad in old button gear)

• Like 1

I looked at the 350 to replace my zed. Comfortable luxury cruiser, not a sports car. As said with the right wheels they look the part

The thing that out me off is the rear seats aren't seats. There's so seat belt so you can't sit in the back :wacko:

I did consider a 2004'ish SL, not as quick 0-60 as a zed but they are not built to be. I think they look fantastic, car looks great roof up or down, stunning interior (once you swap out the wood trim!) perfect for a cruise in the sunshine up an A road. So its 1 second slower to 60 than the Zed, in the grand scheme of things how often do you have to really race to 60, on a motorway slip road?

If you like taking off from lights and racing up to 60 you could argue your Zed is the wrong car, get yourself a Scooby do some work on the turbo and it is a second faster than the Zed.

In the real world, 1 second on a 0-60 doesnt matter, really?

• Like 2