Water in my Zed - Solved.

14N

Hi All,

As some of you may recall, I had a bit of a leak issue in Wales where my car developed its own water feature under the passenger seat, well, it's still got it. :(

I really can't figure out where the water is coming from. I've highlighted in the images below where the water is staying. Directly under the passenger seat there is a raised section that runs sideways along the floor. There is also a cut out in the carpet where the loom pokes through that connects to the plugs in the bottom of the seat. It is here that the water is collecting.

21czcdz_zps283339e1.jpg

4u9l69_zps24f5059f.jpg

Forward of the raised part (so under the leading edge of the seat and the footwell) is bone dry. But behind it, especially directly behind it it's soaking, not just damp, I'm talking a a small pond :scare: I have folded a small hand towel and left it in this recess, after a decent spell of rain, I can wring the towel out.

Backwards, towards the base of the cubby hole behind the seat is damp (on the floor), but I think this is due to the amount of water that has collected. The vertical part, upto the cubby is dry.

The water collects whether the car is driven or just sat on my drive, so using my man logic, this tells me it's not being thrown up off the wheels and/or road and into the arches, then leaking down. Everywhere else in the car is dry, it's just under the passenger seat I could go paddling.

I've held a hose pipe to the window, door etc and cannot see any leaks or traces of where water maybe seeping through. I have also closed the door holding a piece of paper between the top of the window and the seal and it grips the paper firmly in all places (so no gaps).

I really do not think it's a door seal, but I've asked Zman if he's got one/a set I could have, just as this will be the quickest (and hopefully cheap) way of beginning my process of illimination.

If anyone can throw some other suggestions my way (to stop the leak), it would be appreciated. I really don't want to take the carpet up if I can help it, as it looks a PITA and is stapled to the floorpan.

Help!

Edited by 14N

There is a hole in your Zed dear Ian, dear Ian, there is a hole in your zed . . .

There must be a hole somewhere, I would take the seats and the carpet out and have a look. If its running in from else where you should see the water marks on the floor pan., or a stain on the bottom of the carpet.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole under the seat just to let the water drain out!

:scare: Do some poking about first . . you might end up with two holes, one letting water in . . and your new one . . letting more water in :lol:

• Like 1

I wouldn't advise drilling a hole in the car at all.

You have to get this sorted before it starts to stink and ruin your carpet or worse. Remove the seat, carpet and as much trim as you can from the car. Get someone to sit in the car and then hose the car thoroughly. You may have to wait a while but look around for where the water is coming in. I'd also dry everything thoroughly and then lay news paper down so you can see where it's coming from. As it's behind that cross member it's unlikely to be coming in on the front bulk head. It's sitting there because it's the lowest point. Is it dry in the boot under the carpet where the spare wheel is?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

:scare: :scare: HOLY [insert very strong expletive]!!!! :scare: :scare:

So, I thought I'd take my seats out and pull the carpet up to take a look before it went dark. I was not expecting this...

The foot well has about 3 - 4 litres of water in it.This is forward of the cross member I originally said the water was behind. It would appear that this, previously mentioned puddle was just the overflow.

05F0DB7C-16C3-4D53-954E-AE76C7E7D7DE_zpsgqsxa3g3.jpg

CE55FEC9-CCFC-491D-B222-583029E2FD6E_zpsow1eougi.jpg

The water is clearly running down from somewhere and collecting here. It's dark now, so I haven't been able to investigate any further than this, but if anyone knows of anywhere I could/should look first, it would be very much appreciated.

The white L shaped thing you can see in the pic is made of polystyrene with a large sponge mounted to the bottom of it. This (as you can imagine) is soaked to saturation.

Edited by 14N

It's just the footwell that's wet. I am wondering if Nissan expected dampness where I've found the puddle though (as crazy as it sounds). Why put a huge sponge mounted to a piece of polystyrene there? It's far too big to just be a piece of sound deadening. It doesn't explain why there's so much water though.

Cheers GMB, I disconnected the battery to remove the seat.

I feel a bit sick now :(:cry:

If your getting it in the front foot well have a look under the wiper blades - take of the wipers and remove the 2 panels at the bottom of the windscreen, on the passenger side there is the inlet for the air con and it has a shroud built into the cover - this is a flimsy design and may be broken - worth a look :thumbs:

I originally tried searching for threads involving water under the seat, without much luck. But now I've found it in the footwell, there are a lot more threads both on this forum and in the US. Looks like I've got some reading to do (although hopefully I'll also find an answer).

EDIT: Such as these:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/10671-water-leak/

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=8029

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/43113-passenger-footwell-soaked/

Edited by 14N

If your getting it in the front foot well have a look under the wiper blades - take of the wipers and remove the 2 panels at the bottom of the windscreen, on the passenger side there is the inlet for the air con and it has a shroud built into the cover - this is a flimsy design and may be broken - worth a look :thumbs:

Good suggestion!

Also try this one(had a leak about half year ago,floor was full of water):

Most likely you have a leak from where the rubber gourmet sits in the body(place where all your cables from engine,battery runs inside the cabin).Its probably loose or completely off the position(did you have custom stereo installed,that's why mine was loose?).You will need to remove battery cover and it's surround,half of glass trim and then you will be able to get access to gourmet. I used water proof tape to tape around it.Never had problems since then.Also most likely you drainage points are blocked too(crap from trees and dirt).Hope that will help.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Certainly a few avenues to investigate. Hopefully one will solve it.

Mark, is that a photo of the biggest fish you've ever caught? :stir:

• Like 2

Might be worth driving around without the passenger seat and carpet so to see where the water comes in.

But my hunch is as Keyser says. As well as muck that fills into the water drain channels.

Trial and error matey :thumbs:

My money is on the door seal - mine became dislodged slightly at the front and the water was pouring in. It must be coming from somewhere almost directly above the pond as its a pretty small area for it to get into

I think it's coming in from somewhere that should be pugged, but isn't, or the opposite - something that's blocked that shouldn't be.

My first port-of-call (Haha, it looks like a port at the moment) will be under the screen and around/under the battery covers, as this seems common and has been mentioned. Will then look at the door seals at the front.

Thanks again guys :thumbs:

Sorry to hear that . I had the same problem in one of my cars. I thought that after back wiper removal I haven't sealed the water line..so I did it again. Still had a pond as soon we had rain. I took off rear lights out and change the rubbers /resealed them=no more water, problem solved. I am putting my money on back lights :)

Edited by G-girl.

Found water in my boot floor after the wales trip. It was coming from the rear air circulation vents which are directly underneath the rear lights water drain path.

Brought some new ones, problem solved :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk