Precious got a supercharger

ChrisB

• 5 months later...

Yay 1k posts.. time for the ...VORTECH AIRFILTER CHANGE... :scare:

Secret to this is to grit your teeth and be manly with it. Be the boss and don't let it take the ****. Turns out it's not too bad if you do that.

Sadly I forgot to take the before pics, but after about 1/2 hour, got to here..

IMG_2015.jpg

I got to this point by

1. slackening the band around the filter's neck
  2. then sliding the filter off the supercharger
  3. rotating the filter 90-180 degrees clockwise to drag the breather pipe up
  4. fighting with the breather pipe elbow to get it off the filter (pipe wouldn't come off the elbow in situ
  5. rotating and squishing and rotating and squishing (repeat) the filter in the available space between the supercharger and radiator support to walk it out of the engine bay
  6. when it was out, it was much easier to take the old elbow off the end of the breather pipe (I like new things)

When rotating and squishing, a hand through inlet gap is best to push from below, whilst rotating.

Persistence is required because it will give a bit of bother. As I was replacing it with a spare (GMBallistics unused filter), if things went badly for the old filter, I wouldn't be stuck. As it happened, the old one came out without getting ripped (although was a bit crumpled), and I will set about restoring it with a K&N cleaning kit at some point. The filter won't come out if you don't detach the breather first.

To put the new one back, I started with the filter upside down (breather hole is facing up), squished the filter neck rubber against the s/c to start the persuasion going (rather than just forcing the filter back in the hole) and then walked it into the hole - rotate and push, rotate and push until it popped in. I rotated the filter so that the breather elbow was back at the bottom, then I had to fish about with the breather pipe to push it into the new elbow. Then a final 90 anticlockwise rotation to sit the breather pipe/elbow underneath the filter.

Place the loose clamp around the filter neck again and wiggle it back onto the supercharger, tighten and ..job done.

IMG_2017.jpg

This is what supercharged 16500 miles of M25 clogged full of Euro stink diesels does to a filter

IMG_2018.jpg

Checked the supercharger oil level too - all good.

The old filter must have been choked with micro-particulates as she does feel noticeably more peppy now.. :drive1

:thumbs:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Brexit? Whats that - I am a remainer but will be exiting Britain myself for real this time. Austrialia will be a certainty now, and I spent 5 out of 12 months in the last year trying it out over there... which brings me to my new old car project.. Precious II !

(Keeping it) Nissan VQ but this time its VQ40DE, R51 Pathfinder Ti MY 2005 with lushious black ducoat. I bought her in December and she’s awesome! We’ve already been Brisbane to Sydney roadtrip, and been forest trailing a few times. You can’t go fast in Queensland and the road surfaces are dreadful, so a replacement zed wasn’t really a sensible idea. SUV wagon with ladder frame chassis with great offroad/beach chops is definitely the way forward :#1:

Already had fun buying presents such as custom offroad bash plates (underbody armour plating), installing my Pioneer, and fixing odds and ends such as the aircon draining into the carpet issue :lol: Fortunately she’s already had the radiator bypass with a huge tranny cooler.

IMG_5885.JPG.e112544ba136a71b252eb642e53d22b0.JPGIMG_5935.JPG.600ac6cf2ef5f11c06d3a09afbfba8e4.JPG

Commuting to Australia 3 times a year has been killing me a bit financially. Also this means that Precious 1 will need to find a new home. She has been SORN’d and garaged over the winter and I am waiting for 1 month before MOT day to come around then I can MOT, before putting the for sale ad up on here... will be a sad day. 

:thumbs:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, andybp said:

It's taken you long enough to make your mind up :lol:

But seriously good luck with this It's been a pleasure :thumbs:

:)

Haha - thanks mate. Yes it has been a very long and expensive process !

We are on the home straight now as my job finished, nearly finished house renovation, cats shipped, household stuff shipped, waited sadly for the geriatric dog to reach a state where he had had his time (16 1/2 years) all last year, interspersed with 5 months in Oz. Means £24 grand from savings spent so far :scare: so the big item sell off has properly started now. Hopefully Brexit won’t trash the housing market or exchange rate too much :doh:

Wow Chris I am honestly a little jealous, ...this country isn't what it once was and is only getting worse. Australia I'm sure is going to be a great place for you all to live.

Love the Nissan Pathfinder too.

Looks a very cool off-roader, ...just needs a rifle rack, snorkel, some jerry cans, spare tyre on the roof and it is all set. :D

• Like 2

Haha cheers Gareth, yes I’m liking Australia more and more and when impulsive detours on the way back from Bunnings (like B&Q) result in drives on forest tracks or trips to the beach (32C heat and 28C water) I know we are on the right track :thumbs:

3C84DFE5-FD69-42B0-98EE-F866E8A8D84F.jpeg.e650a8f378bed9d84aea380c0ae89aa3.jpeg

BD94798C-4674-4064-BF25-EE23C4B66F60.jpeg.c4634f29a1252cde527d25ff30a423f0.jpeg

After the eventual big tie up here, just got to sort out a proper ‘partner’ visa and then try and get a job over there when I go back one way.. which is no picnic unfortunately as I’m over 45 which is the limit of normal work visa. Could be strawberry picking for a couple of years :scare: ..actually I shouldn’t joke :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bry said:

I’m emigrated to oz three years ago, I’m in Victoria so if I can offer any help advice drop me a pm. P.s I did the partner visa too

Thanks Bry, I’ll do that. The waiting period for 820/801 whilst on a BVA is a long (and expensive) one by the looks of it. Hope you aren’t affected by the fires down there!

Wow Bry.. thats biblical. At least you are on acreage well away from the forest.

We are in Beerwah and smelt/saw smoke when Bribie island caught fire, but nothing like that ! We do have a bit of a concern about the bush across the road from the house (where the mozzies and snakes live)  when its hot and windy though. Our house has 3 hose pipe taps.. apparently exit plans, clearing leaf litter and soaking the house is a thing. Oz life is hilareous :scare: :lol:

Yeah it’s great here I love it, snakes,fires,cyclones,crocs,sharks,spiders,jelly fish and all :D

oh and not forgetting the suicidal Roos that are determined to kill me and themselves every time I drive at night:scare:

Edited by Bry
  • Haha 1