Possible zed on the horizon

Hi fowks, to cut a long story short I fell for the 350z after having a shot of a friends some years ago.

I currently drive a bmw z3 I had originally big plans for it, however if I'm honest my minds always wandered back to picking up a 350z.

I have been looking at the current prices and along with getting shot of my z3 it's looking like it will happen.

I have taxed and insured my z3 till january, which is fine because I will aim to change around christmas time.

I just have a few questions I wonder if some zed enthusiasts can help me with. So here goes fowks...

Is there any sort of buying guide ie things to look out for?

any particular year/ engine model to go for?

Common faults? brakes? suspension etc?

Diff oil/gearbox oil changes needed at intervals?

Whats the sort of rough prices for general replacement brakes? shocks and springs? other general maintenance parts I should be aware of?

I've budgeted around 6-8k for the car i'll go for. Would that be a good ballpark figure for a nice clean example with lowish miles?

Thanks fowks. I shall be lurking in the background over the next few months gathering my info and wishlist whilst I await my chance to go for my car.

Hope to be a zed owner soon! If I can hold back till then! :)

Welcome aboard. :welcome:

Buyers guide here; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/77426-buyers-guide/

New members/potential owners; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/22880-guide-for-new-memberspotential-buyers/

Service schedule for 350Z; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/31110-service-schedule-for-a-350z/

More info & FAQ's here; http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/18-350z-faq/

Also worth checking out the Zeds for sale on here in the "Zeds for sale" section. Personally with the budget you have I'd try to go to the top end of it and try to find a 313 HR version 350Z. Found this one on Autotrader as an example; http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201405184303726/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/price-to/8000/price-from/7000/radius/1501/transmission/manual/postcode/cf158rl/page/1/model/350_z/make/nissan/onesearchad/used?logcode=p

Firstly hello,

Secondly change that possible into "yeah I've just bought a zed"

Last but not leased, you have taxed and insured your car till january, thats over 6 months away! sell that german whip and jump onboard the Zed boat. we're friendly and not gay. (if you are gay sorry for the sailor reference)

Echo what others have said. Firstly welcome and secondly take your time. Dare say you'd love to get a zed asap even with the BMW being sorted till Jan. But hold out for what you want. With the budget could get a nice car with low ish miles and a 313bhp model. Good luck :)

Welcome.

With that budget you'll get a wide range of zeds. All depends on what you want wise with regards colour, miles, spec etc.

Which ever model you buy, part costing are all the same. No more or less than you probably have with your BMW, providing you stay away from main dealers. There is plenty independants out there (and on here) that can supply quality spares at a good price. You'll defo get a newer 313 within your budget but it'll have high miles, so then you need to factor in wear and tear on components - which I assume is why you have asked for rough pricing on components.

All models have their issues (what cars dont).....but the only one that would bother me is the oil consumption one (2006 model - although dont shoot me down in flames if I have wrong year) and possibly the gearbox issue that can effect any model year. If you do a search you'll find details. Whether these are isolated cases, who knows. Maybe its more related to higher mile cars? Again, who knows.

All other issues are relatively cheap to fix.

There are plenty out there - so bide your time and pick a spec / colour you like, and keep trawling the internet.

Edited by aidan

Hi everyone,

thanks for the welcome messages.

I've been doing my research.

I've noticed around my budget alot of cars tend to be around the 60k mile mark.

I've been told that the clutch starts to go around then, if there is no evidence of this from a seller would you say its worth bringing it up to drop the prices?

Im ideally looking for a pre 06 plate in gt spec. Not a huge amount around but I would certainly say when they do they dont last very long. It's extremely irritating watching some cracking zeds come and go but i spent a few bob on getting a new roof for my z3 so Im watching to get some time and money back on that.

Obviously my z3 being a convertible take a dip in value around winter time, does this reflect any in the 350 market for being a summer toy for some?

ohh and Kris your surely not selling yours! :scare:

Edited by martybhoy
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

thanks for the welcome messages.

I've been doing my research.

I've noticed around my budget alot of cars tend to be around the 60k mile mark.

I've been told that the clutch starts to go around then, if there is no evidence of this from a seller would you say its worth bringing it up to drop the prices?

Im ideally looking for a pre 06 plate in gt spec. Not a huge amount around but I would certainly say when they do they dont last very long. It's extremely irritating watching some cracking zeds come and go but i spent a few bob on getting a new roof for my z3 so Im watching to get some time and money back on that.

Obviously my z3 being a convertible take a dip in value around winter time, does this reflect any in the 350 market for being a summer toy for some?

ohh and Kris your surely not selling yours! :scare:

Like all soft tops - price does dip in the winter months, with May, June and July seeming to be the better months for flogging roadsters.

You didn't mention whether your after a vert or coupe, only that you want a pre 06 gt.

Mines will be up for sale when I get back to uk in four / five weeks time (car currently in storage). Dont think there is a lower miled pre 06 roadster for sale on autotrader / pistonheads (at the moment).

What year n miles is your Z3?

Edited by aidan