Mystery switch and LED

chalks

Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this issue....

I picked my Z up a couple of weeks ago, and a few days ago I had a really annoying beeping along with an LED flashing green and red at the bottom of the driver's A pillar:

IMG_20140526_095719929_HDR_zps3d2b1422.jpg

As you can see there's an aftermarket wire there which I have no clue about either. There didn't seem to be any logic as to the red or green flashing, and the beeping.

I was hoovering the footwell and found a toggle switch and a very small button. I flicked the switch and I haven't had any beeps since!

IMG_20140526_095806515_zps5014eed6.jpg

The switch is right next to the transmission tunnel, kind of close to the OBD port, on the lower plastic cowl under the steering column.

Does anyone have ANY idea what it might be??? I've driven a few miles with it on and off and it definitely doesn't switch off the odometer, which is a relief!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get rid of that cable hanging down at some point as well...

Thanks,

Chalks

Thanks for the replies! And yes I have already introduced myself in the intros section :D

The previous owner has no idea either, and the owner before that is now living overseas so no means of contacting him.... Good shout on the detector though, I'll have a google and see if any kits have bits similar to this! Do you reckon the actual detector would plug in to the loose wire?

Failing that, I'll turn off the ESP and see if I get some flames out the back

Thanks again for your help

• 3 weeks later...

Get your multimeter out and probe the power cable (with the switch on and off) - looks like 12v accessory power to me (like radar detector, or Nav?). Not sure about the small button, beeping or flashing LED.

Hope you figure it out?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry been away for a few days.... No I never figured it out!! If I leave the toggle switch on, the LED flashes green after a few mins, and then some time later it flashes red and starts beeping at me.... I've no way to test whether it's a jammer and I don't want to take my dash apart to find out...