Motorsport cars

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome results Stu and great footage. B)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that was the same hill run that Top Gear used in one of there challenges once when they all had old hot hatches. I remember because Hammond had a Nova which he "rolled" on the way back down the hill.

Really cool actually seeing someone who can properly drive going up the hill. :lol:;)

I'm looking for a track car at the moment. Must be RWD, as im probably going to be drifting it at Oulton most of the time, but needs to be solid enough to stand a regular track days too.

Budget is approx £1500, and it needs to have an MOT as i dont have a trailer.

Any suggestions anyone?

My current thinking is:

Porsche 944

BMW Z3

BMW E36 (I cant afford an E30)

...what else am i forgetting (Mx5 is too small for me - i dont fit...)

Awesome results Stu and great footage. B)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that was the same hill run that Top Gear used in one of there challenges once when they all had old hot hatches. I remember because Hammond had a Nova which he "rolled" on the way back down the hill.

Really cool actually seeing someone who can properly drive going up the hill. :lol:;)

Correct mate! Same hill lol one of the oldest Motorsport venues in the country and a bit prim and proper to be honest ha!

I'll get the videos up from Sunday as well ASAP which are a second faster up the hill as the weather was better!

I'm looking for a track car at the moment. Must be RWD, as im probably going to be drifting it at Oulton most of the time, but needs to be solid enough to stand a regular track days too.

Any suggestions anyone?

My current thinking is:

Porsche 944

BMW Z3

Just some ideas for you...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/tvr/wedges/tvr-tasmin-280i-2-2-1982/2800606

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mazda/rx-8/mazda-rx8-4dr-192--1-owner-from-brand-new/2804611

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/other-models/toyota-mr2-turbo-t-bar-gts-import/2829858

None of the above are cars I have experience with, they are just something different that was within your budget.

Personally I'd probably go with the BMW E36 series as you already mentioned. I've seen some 328's and a 330ci fall into that price range on Autotrader which is probably where'd I'd look if I was you. Good luck with the search. ;)

@Stu ~ thought it was the same hill. :lol: Look forward to the other vid. :thumbs:

Any suggestions anyone?

My current thinking is:

Porsche 944

BMW Z3

Just some ideas for you...

http://www.pistonhea...-2-1982/2800606

http://www.pistonhea...and-new/2804611

http://www.pistonhea...-import/2829858

None of the above are cars I have experience with, they are just something different that was within your budget.

Personally I'd probably go with the BMW E36 series as you already mentioned. I've seen some 328's and a 330ci fall into that price range on Autotrader which is probably where'd I'd look if I was you. Good luck with the search. ;)

@Stu ~ thought it was the same hill. :lol: Look forward to the other vid. :thumbs:

Cheers matey.

I think i've now decided on a Lexus IS200. I always thought they were FWD but apparently not! The Sport version comes with an LSD as standard, (the SE version doesnt). Both models are well within budget, but the downside is they're rather slow - the stock motor only puts out 151bhp. Apparently it's about 4k for a superccharger... or if I could find an Altezza, these put out 210bhp, but this is unlikely within budget.

The other option (which may be longer term) is an engine swap for a 2JZ-GE, which are stock in the IS300 (but auto only in the UK).

What's the weight of the IS200? Compared with the BMW equivalent.

I suspect the BMW would make the better track car by some margin. Cheaper and more available parts, too.

Weight on them is the same, but the IS is uderpowered compared to the BMW.

To be honest i've had 4 e36 3-Series in the past, and 7 3-series overall, and i fancy something different.

And the final vid from the weekend at Shelsley, first timed run on Sunday and the class winning one, new personal best and the best of the weekend.

That's my season over for the year and now a quiet winter while we look at new cars flor next season ;)

Edited by Stu_2424
  • Like 2

Looking at a Formula Jedi mate, generally speaking in our current car we are at the bottom end of the allowed engine size so looking to purchase something at the top limit of a class.

Will ideally be a Jedi with the Fireblade motor we have now.

Hhhmm, ...does that come with R2D2? :dry:

Google says "no". :lol::D They look like awesome machines. B)

martin-pickles-new-jedi.jpg

• 1 month later...