Motorsport cars

Yeah not the best end to the day as I was just getting dialled in!

Two suspects at the minute are ring failure or oil surge, probably oil surge as it pressurised the crank case and blew all the oil out of the breather!

Engine replacement is costing £1450 plus Vat with a new sump installed and a new clutch as well as being thoroughly checked and installed weekend after next.

Also fitting an accusump which stops oil surge happening to prevent it in future.

Cheers for the info and although that is a fair amount of cash I guess that's not too bad considering new sump/clutch.

Still sorry to read the engine died. Had that happen to me twice on an old JDM modified Impreza I used to have. :byebye:

• 3 weeks later...

Look's good Stu although those Rockingham walls come up fast. :surrender::lol:

I notice you where topping out down the main straight, ...what speed was that then?

Could maybe do with a longer top gear for that circuit I guess although I'm sure it helps make you quicker around the twisty bit's with the shorter ratio. :);)

Look's good Stu although those Rockingham walls come up fast. :surrender::lol:

I notice you where topping out down the main straight, ...what speed was that then?

Could maybe do with a longer top gear for that circuit I guess although I'm sure it helps make you quicker around the twisty bit's with the shorter ratio. :);)

They certainly do mate!

This car tops out at about 120mph but only way to change the gearing is to change the diff ratios which is a pain in the arse!

It's only been Anglesey and now here that we have issues as car isn't designed for race circuit events, it's spot on for all the hills, short sprints etc we do so not worth changing.

Next year will be much better in the Jedi as can just change the sprockets to suit which is much easier!

And this is how you know you're pushing it on worn rear tyres that don't heat up quick enough!

^^ Aaahhh the old "jazz hands" working overtime. :lol::D Well at least you didn't spin. B)

Can't wait to see some of the Jedi in action gonna be great. :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

And this is how you know you're pushing it on worn rear tyres that don't heat up quick enough!

^^ Aaahhh the old "jazz hands" working overtime. :lol::D Well at least you didn't spin. B)

Can't wait to see some of the Jedi in action gonna be great. :thumbs:

Definitely woke me up I must say!

The Phoenix is a very tricky car to catch tbh, it will let you have small angle slides on power and braking and not bother to kick back but if you go past a certain limit it slides and then in an instant bites and throws you the other way.

Will be down to a combination of the slicks gripping again and it's short wheelbase I think.

It did it to me at Anglesey at about 80 mph! Thought I had the slide around a left hand bend and then bit and threw the car to the right and off the track, literally couldn't move my hands fast enough to catch it!

Should have some full attack runs from the Jedi next Sunday night for you! Im keen to make an entrance with it and win on its first time out!

• 1 month later...

So first event done.

Story of highs and lows im afraid :( car itself was superb, incredible to drive and the grip was beyond what I was expecting even having driven bigger single seaters before.

Had an issue with the battery which meant I missed my second practise while we charge it as it appears not to be charging from the car but an easy fix before next round.

First times run I started to wind it up a bit but was still well inside what the car can do!

Video of that run is here:

Sadly during that run and in the runs after we noticed the clutch was slipping under full throttle which is why in the video is sounds like I can't get 6th and why is hits the limiter so often on the lap.

Hopefully we just have the wrong oil as it has the best clutch set up on it, we have fully synthetic in and apparently this causes slip so we should be using semi synthetic.

Times went backwards as it got worse but we were 2nd in class and overall after the first times run so I have no doubts we could have challenged for the win!

Anyway enjoy the video.

• Like 2

Quick video from the Festival of Speed weekend just gone at Olivers Mount in Scarborough.

Finished 2nd in class by 4 tenths to a bigger engined car so quite happy with the result.

Edited by Stu_2424
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So today was the Jedi's triumphant return!

After spending the morning practise runs sorting out small leaks and a loose gear cable bracket it was game face time.

1st timed run and it was straight to the top of not just the class time sheets but the overall times as well.

First run stopped the clocks at 55.38 seconds with second in class and overall recording a 55.96.

Second times runs and my rival was clearly out for revenge as he pushed and stole the lead with a 55.26 run!

There was absolutely no chance I was letting go of my first chance of a Fastest Time of the Day award though and I decided to give it everything!

This did result in a few brake lock ups and missed apexs but I was able to keep momentum still and powered over the line in 55.06 seconds to win the class and overall!

Fantastic day and thoroughly worth the very testing last few months!

Videos of the fastest run is here:

And the armful of silverwear is here:

b21bd36ef1abafd0a02f1333b52f2b16.jpg

• Like 2