Anyone had a Clio Renaultsport 197

Darren-B

Took the old mans Gordini 200 Cup round Spa, had so much fun!!! Bit gutless getting up Eau Rouge though :)

Well sorted chassis and great car out the box, but the older ones had a mate we both did Oulton on the day had an amazing day but he was woken up at 2am by the fire brigade they where trying to put out an electrical fire under his bonnet!! Write off!! Just search You Tube 197 Cup and fire you will be shocked :(

Sorry didn't mean to put you off mate.

Rich

I've got a 182 Cup and I'm loving it now. The engine is a peach. I picked it up cheap and have put brakes, a pair of tyres and a pair or rear shocks on it. So not only does it GO, it now stops and handles like it should. Recently stuck an exhaust on it and now it sounds awesome too. I know a daily driver is usually something just to get you from A to B, saving your 'other' car for best, but I now really enjoy my daily commute too.

It's got a few toys like cruise, climate, auto lights and wipers, so it's quite well spec'd for a little French car. I have no experience of a 197, but my 182 is a cracking car.

Thanks for the input guys, It will be as a daily, but only to scoot around from A-B, I'm not that keen on the 182 shape, IMO it's looking a little dated now. What makes it a better car? Engine, chassis, reliability?

#Clark Motorsport, I'm not worried about fire, that should make it more exciting :lol:

Thanks for the input guys, It will be as a daily, but only to scoot around from A-B, I'm not that keen on the 182 shape, IMO it's looking a little dated now. What makes it a better car? Engine, chassis, reliability?

#Clark Motorsport, I'm not worried about fire, that should make it more exciting :lol:

The chassis in the 172/182 is by far the best, it has the better power to weight ratio as the 197/200 got bigger and fatter.

A much much better drivers car for connecting with the road...in tight twisty B roads I'd say up there with the best IMO

Especially the 182 Trophy with the Sachs suspension!

If you would like, I can put you in touch with some people....

Couple of mine love their Clios, they keep buying them (and having to buy new ones) but swear by them.

one goes on regular road rally's and keeps up with all sorts of unbelievable stuff...

They all have 182's...

I think, 1 has a trophy

I'm sure they would happily take you on a spin...

Are you local to midlands / coming to the Leicester meet?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being a bit late to this but I sold my Clio 197 a few months ago to get my Zed. Before I had that I had a 172. Both were brilliant! The 197 felt planted to be honest. Bags of grip for a fwd round the bends. Only downside I found was that the gearbox was clunky/hard to shift when it was cold. Apparently this is a common issue. Other than that it was solid and proved to be very reliable for the two years I had it, from 30K to 50K miles. Are you considering a full fat or cup model?