Fuel rails pg27! - Mouthwash's SSSB

That could be the case, it could also be the case that I haven't tightened it properly so it might be sitting raised but I'm pretty sure I did.

I don't have an engine damper and I may look in to them but if no one else has this issue it means something is wrong with my set up so I need to take another look. :dry::angry::lol:

You did put the strut brace spacers UNDER the strut brace right?!! :dry::scare::lol:

That could be the case, it could also be the case that I haven't tightened it properly so it might be sitting raised but I'm pretty sure I did.

I don't have an engine damper and I may look in to them but if no one else has this issue it means something is wrong with my set up so I need to take another look. :dry::angry::lol:

You did put the strut brace spacers UNDER the strut brace right?!! :dry::scare::lol:

Yes of course I did :lol: I meant the plenum

Its a rare occurance and due to either pulling or pushing the strut tension too much. Sounds like you're pulling the tension and thus reducing the height of the bar in the middle hence the knocking.

As long as you've got the strut spacers under the feet and a sensible amount of tension on the strut you should be fine.

Loving the Jam Sandwich BTW :thumbs:

• Like 1

Eeeek that's a tad close to be fair.

Set strut bar on their mounting place with no tension and ensure alignment for the bolts and nuts. Once you're happy its nestling comfortably then increase tension but don't over do it. As long as the strut bar doesn't move when you're hammering it round a race track there's zero movement. You don't want to pull or push the tension so that the bar is changing shape so to speak.

I'll let you know shortly the gap between my plenum and oem strut at the lowest point.

• Like 1

Okay I've got about 5-6mm clearance and no running on the hood. So I'd say something is wrong somewhere?

Take your time and make sure everything sits right before any tightening.

• Like 1

Glad its all sorted, do you know what it was?

Yeah, I had over adjusted the strut bar as I wanted it to line up neatly with the holes.. It turns out that was a bad idea so I put it back to its original length and bobs your uncle, 5mm gap when cold :)

Some advice for those amateur mechanics out there that want to try and fit their own decats. Don't. :angry:

I managed to get one on in about 4/5 hours and promptly gave up, it was the most arse aids thing I've tried to do on a car.

Edited by mouthwash

Some advice for those amateur mechanics out there that want to try and fit their own decats. Don't. :angry:

I managed to get one on in about 4/5 hours and promptly gave up, it was the most arse aids thing I've tried to do on a car.

Why was it so difficult? Planning on fitting mine myself

Well, if you've got a trolley jack and a limited number of tools like myself then getting to a few of the bolts is a total, total pain in the arse.

Okay, I think the fact that I was doing it in 30 degree heat didn't help but it was far more hassle than it was worth.. I'd rather do a few hours over time at work and pay someone to do it next time. :lol:

• Like 1