Rear Strut Bar Creak

whiltongee

Hi,

When I am going slowly over little bumps my rear strut bar seems to creak. I don't know if it is the plastic cover or the arm itself. I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue or has any idea what could be the cause/fix?

Thanks for any help!

I have an annoying creak that has appeared in my Z coming from the rear, havnt be able to pinpoint it yet, sounded like it was the boot lid creaking, was able to replicate it with boot closed and pushing down on the drivers side.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like the plastic cover, as I had it when it was very warm inside the cabin.

I took off the cover and re-fitted it with a tiny bit of grease where the two plastic bits meet

end of problem :thumbs:

OH..! and welcome to the Forum . :welcome:

Edited by WhackyWill

Welcome :) I'm having a similar problem but it's coming from the suspension top mount...from the sound of it. Definitely not trim. So far I've replaced the gas strut and still the creaking/clicking continues. Hope you have better luck!

Wow everyone is so nice here saying welcome! :D Yeah I was guessing mine was the plastic, been a bit too busy recently to have a proper look. I will try to take off plastic covers later this week and see what happens!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have just had a look at it seems to be the suspension not the strut bar. I google'd it and people are saying it is the end links that need replacing, so I need to take a better look :O

Pretty likely, yeah. Took mine in to the garage to get the same issue looked at the other day - needed new end links and brushes on the rear anti-roll bar.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem and I thought it was the droplinks - but last week I had quite a bit of stuff in the boot - no great weight but some of it was on top of the bar. Not. A. Sound. I will investigate further..

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem and I thought it was the droplinks - but last week I had quite a bit of stuff in the boot - no great weight but some of it was on top of the bar. Not. A. Sound. I will investigate further..

OK, I removed the LH (looking from the rear) top plastic trim from the bar and that stopped it completely. I tried a few different things to remedy the creak, and this is what I ended up with:

IMG_20141017_120555_zpsfd9a74e2.jpg

Split a small hose along it's length and fitted over the tint bit of existing foam.

IMG_20141017_120558_zps07f8b0ab.jpg

In place it looks no different but is silent.

after_zpsa7d8ff0d.jpg

I know this is not the solution to all creaks, but it cured mine so it may help somebody.

• Like 1