E46 BMW M3: Any ex owners???

Darren350

Hey guys,

I'm going with a mate today to view a 52 plate E46 M3 Manual. (His money not mine!)

Anybody got any pointers etc to look out for?

I wanted one when looking for the zed but the zed won me over and was more within budget. I did look into them a bit to see what recalls it was subject to; Bearing recall and exploding boot floor etc.

Has anybody had one so I can try to help my mate out?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I owned a 05 M3 manual for a while. In summary, nice car, awesome engine, didn’t like the manual box throws were too long! and clutch was heavy. Obviously inspection 2 servicing is £££, at the time I had mine it was around the £900 mark. The older ones have the potential rear subframe issue, so one to watch out for and check. Also check for running in service and that the valve shims have been checked / replaced at the required intervals. A lot of car for the money but costs quite a bit more that a Z to run and maintain properly.

Also worth getting one with the Harmon Kardon system as standard stereo is naff!

Edited by N4eay

Thanks for fast reply mate!

That's useful info cheers. I've had a 330ci with the HK sound system and loved it.

The car in question has hardly any optional extras apparently so I doubt it has HK. My mate doesn't care about that as he is fitting the system from his Subaru Impreza into it.

His Impreza was tuned beyond belief and was boosted to around 350BHP but sadly went boom.

I've got a kiddy on the way so no M3 for me, I'm selling the Zed soon and want to get a saloon 330i Sport with every option ever thrown at it.

Fantastic car loved mine to bits, but it was an SMG, in my opinion the only manual to have!

Mine was loaded with very available extra, worth looking at a few and the most common thing to watch out for is to check that the running in service was done on time, check for thorough service history, well maintained cars are the loved ones! Cause they ain't cheap to keep.

Cheers Andy. Viewed the car this afternoon. Running in service done. Recent service. Valve clearance check etc. Got it for £5900 which I think was a good price. Bodywork was excellent with one front arch being a bit rusty.

Hi,

I owned a 05 M3 manual for a while. In summary, nice car, awesome engine, didn’t like the manual box throws were too long! and clutch was heavy. Obviously inspection 2 servicing is £££, at the time I had mine it was around the £900 mark. The older ones have the potential rear subframe issue, so one to watch out for and check. Also check for running in service and that the valve shims have been checked / replaced at the required intervals. A lot of car for the money but costs quite a bit more that a Z to run and maintain properly.

Also worth getting one with the Harmon Kardon system as standard stereo is naff!

Fantastic car loved mine to bits, but it was an SMG, in my opinion the only manual to have!

Mine was loaded with very available extra, worth looking at a few and the most common thing to watch out for is to check that the running in service was done on time, check for thorough service history, well maintained cars are the loved ones! Cause they ain't cheap to keep.

And from personal experience finding a "well maintained" one is nigh on impossible it seems. They have literally all been ragged to within an inch of their lives. Ditto the Z3M sadly.

Cheers Andy. Viewed the car this afternoon. Running in service done. Recent service. Valve clearance check etc. Got it for £5900 which I think was a good price. Bodywork was excellent with one front arch being a bit rusty.

Seems suspiciously cheap but hey ho you took the plunge! 3.0 or the Evo?

esytu2ug.jpg

Not a single ding anywhere in sight. For £5900 I think it's a great bargain. FSH etc. Needs a good polish and wax tbh but nothing Megs and DJ couldn't sort. Cheers for the advice guys, he loves it!

If I'm honest I actually prefer my Zed which shocked me a great deal. The M3 is faster and feels faster. But not by much. Maybe that's because I'm just a passenger?

Looks wise I also prefer the zed. I was going to get an M3 myself but opted for the zed instead as I hoped it would be cheaper to run.

Nice motors my mate has one with the smg box. Not a lot in it compared with my HR all depends who gets on the power first :) a lot of car for the money though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the dilemma I'm currently facing

Although having joined a zed forum and not an m3 one is telling me what I really want in my head

£5900 is a good price though, I would be a little weary paying so little

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold my M3 for a zed, I used at my motoway/long journey car it ate the mile and easy did 36mpg on a run. But always in the back of your mind if this goes wrong may have to re-morgage my house (lucky nothing did)

photo_zps2dbee2c3.jpg