Removing Handbrake Gaiter - Any suggestions?

iwanprice12

Hi,

Have recently fitted a new Headunit, but haven't connected to the handbrake yet (to enable DVD playback). I have also ordered a new leather gaiter for the handbrake (no handle, just the gaiter), so was wondering two birds with one stone. Does anybody have a guide or any info on this to removing the plastic 'gaiter'?

Thanks,

Iwan

I have read about doing that, was thinking of doing it, have ordered a relay, but can just be connected behind the headunit? (to the cradle even?). Need to remove the plastic gaiter anyway to put the leather one on. Was just thinking...I'll do both jobs at the same time :)

Ashtray/Cointray out, remove screw underneath

grab rear part of gear surround and firmly, but carefully pull upwards

under gear surround, remove two screws

move both seats forward until you can see a screw either side, undo them

grabbing below the last screws, pull slightly outward and lift centre console off

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 25/04/2014 at 20:41, BulletMagnet said:

Ashtray/Cointray out, remove screw underneath

grab rear part of gear surround and firmly, but carefully pull upwards

under gear surround, remove two screws

move both seats forward until you can see a screw either side, undo them

grabbing below the last screws, pull slightly outward and lift centre console off

Thanks for this Z Legend, helped me a lot.  I know this is an old post, but in case anyone else finds it while looking for help removing the centre console / gearlever / handbrake surround, I'll post my own experience on my non-GT 2007 HR Coupe since I found a few other things on my way:

1) For me, I didn't remove an ashtray/cointray.  I removed a bluetooth receiver from inside the rear storage cubby in the centre console.
- squeeze the button on the right hand side of the cradle to unlock, then pull the bluetooth unit itself forwards to remove it from the cradle.
- pull the front lower lip forwards to expose a small cross-head screw.  Undo this screw to release the cradle.
- the cradle has two leads that disappear through a small hole.  The surround to this hole can be pulled out.  You can then undo the two wiring harness connections

2) I found it worthwhile to unscrew my gearknob first - even though it was very stiff - and then I could lift the gear surround / gaiter completely off the gearlever, making it much easier to get the centre console on/off.

3) Note that these are the two larger screws at the front of the area under the gear surround, under where the heater controls are.  NOT the five small screws directly around the gearlever, which you DONT need to touch.

5) I also found the centre console was constrained by two wiring harness connections just under the gearlever.  First try to release the connectors from the holes they are clipped into by squeezing the grey clips, then undo the connections

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Z's interior came apart and went back together again :)

Thanks again for the instructions, I'd have been stumped without them.  Enjoying my Sony XAV-AX100 now!