Another Which Tyre thread --- Choice of these 2

flyboy

"Mr Pedantic" says

Actually the 35 profile means its 35% of the height of a std height tyre for that width. Not 35% of the width. :thumbs:

Otherwise a 275 35 R20 side wall would be 96mm high

Mr Pedantic can say what he likes, as he'd be wrong. ;) In your example, a 275/35/20 sidewall is indeed 96mm. Profile is always related directly to the width, which is why it's used as an aspect calculator. It would be useless otherwise, as who decides what a 'standard' tyre is? Dunlop do a pretty good guide to all tyre marking here.

My rears on the 911 are 305/30, which makes them 91.5mm tall. The fronts are 235/35, which makes them 82.25mm tall.

• Like 2

Hold on, should we be asking what type of driving he does, what's mods he has on his car, what mods he plans for his car, his age, his date of birth, chest size, inside leg measurement, hand span, mother's maiden name, starsign etc before recommending the Michelin's to him. Just don't want to anger StevoD again! :shrug:

cc022bbb8cdeb99ab7935abaef6eda57e305906be9ddbf74a09144d7cbcf2f9e.jpg

• Like 1

"Mr Pedantic" says

Actually the 35 profile means its 35% of the height of a std height tyre for that width. Not 35% of the width. :thumbs:

Mr Pedantic can say what he likes, as he'd be wrong. ;) In your example, a 275/35/20 sidewall is indeed 96mm. Profile is always related directly to the width, which is why it's used as an aspect calculator. It would be useless otherwise, as who decides what a 'standard' tyre is? Dunlop do a pretty good guide to all tyre marking here.

My rears on the 911 are 305/30, which makes them 91.5mm tall. The fronts are 235/35, which makes them 82.25mm tall.

It seems the internet agrees with Ekona and I am incorrect.

In my defence when I was taught this "fact" the internet did not exist.(not by decades)

However I will be measuring my tyres to check :lol:

"Mr Pedantic" says

It seems the internet agrees with Ekona (And Griff) and I am incorrect.

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Just replaced all 4 of my OE Bridgestone Potenzas with Falken FK453 Azenis. £628.40 from Mytyres.co.uk (inc local fitting).

Feel good so far, but I haven't had them out in the wet yet, which should be an interesting comparison with the Potenzas!

A "Standard Tyre" has a side wall height which is 82% of the nominal width of the tyre.

so, the 'standard' tyre is one that has a profile of 82? ie 225/82/R18? yeah right... standard tyre for a 4x4 maybe will get up to an 80 profile, even my fiancé's boggo standard 206 runs on a 70 profile tyre!

I always thought anything above a 50 profile is high profile, 50 is average and anything lower than 50 profile I class as 'low profile'

"Mr Pedantic" says

don't forget that sidewall height is the total height, ie top and bottom... so a 275/35/20 tyre with a sidewall of 96mm has 48mm at the top of the tyre, and 48mm at the bottom - ie there is 48mm (just under 2 inches) of rubber between the tarmac and the wheel rim.

Thanks. I've got the 275/35 ZR19s and 245/40 ZR19s.

Happy so far but, despite living in Aberdeen, I still haven't had the Z out in the wet since the tyres were fitted....................and I got sunburnt at the weekend.

Must be all this global warming B)!

• Like 1