My Little weekend project.....

djtimo

Just a small update again

The MONSTERS have arrived!!!

God dam these things are huge!! I can fit my hand in side the outlet! Very well made and quite light for there size!

The car will wake the dead with these things on! LOL..

_DSC0610-1.jpg

_DSC0612-4.jpg

_DSC0613-2.jpg

_DSC0614-1.jpg

_DSC0615-3.jpg

Just to try and get some idea of size! Thats my 4.3" HTC HD2 next to one. LOL..

_DSC0616-2.jpg

_DSC0620-1.jpg

_DSC0626-1.jpg

A nice thick blank off plate for the external waste gate return.

_DSC0627-2.jpg

I think Im in love with these! hahaha...

Bit late to post this up but, few pic's from the cars first oil change.

The funnel has two pop socks streched over the opening. I used this to filter oll the oil that was dropped just to see for my self if there was any metal in it. Luckly there was one very small hair like strand of alu 5-6mm long that i think (hope) could have been left in the block from the bore/hone?

Some good oil going in!

_DSC0626-2.jpg

K&N oil filter, IMHO better than nissan OEM as it has a metal internal frame rather than cardboard.

_DSC0630-1-1.jpg

The funnel filter.

_DSC0660-1.jpg

_DSC0661-1-1.jpg

Made a start on heat wrapping my downpipes. The left bank DP is off getting a wideband sensor boss weled on and im also waiting for the stainless steel lock wire i've ordered to get here so plasitc zip tie's are in place to keep the wrap tight for now.

_DSC0609-4.jpg

_DSC0611-5.jpg

_DSC0612-5.jpg

_DSC0613-3.jpg

I've got to lock wire the wrap on then paint it with exhaust paint to keep the wrap in good nick and then its being fitted some time next week!

Down pipes are done now. (thank god!LOL) Wrapping them looked easy but its a pain in the a*** becaust it needs to be very very tight to stop it from moving about and its hard to get it to go on right.

Anyway, the left DP had the extra sensor bung welded in, both DP's are wire locked and then ive used some big hose clips to give me a bit more piece of mind that it wont come off.

_DSC0736.jpg

_DSC0738.jpg

_DSC0740-1.jpg

_DSC0743.jpg

_DSC0745.jpg

Nearly there! LOL..

This is the spec list so far mate, I used this list to explain the mod's to adrian flux.

VQ35DE Motor spec list.

· VQ35DE block (non-rev up)

· VQ35DE Cylinder head’s (Re-built and valve seats re-cut etc.)

· New OEM Rev-up oil pump.

· New OEM water pump.

· ARP L19 head studs

· ARP main cap bolts.

· ACL bearings (big end’s, little end’s & thrust washers)

· CP forged 96mm low compression (8.5:1CR) turbo pistons.

· CP piston rings & wrist pins.

· Eagle forged connecting rods with ARP rod bolts.

· HKS 97mm tri-layer metal head gasket.

· Balanced OEM crank + crank pulley.

· APS Twin turbo kit. (Twin Garrett GT28r turbo's, cast APS manifolds, APS blow off valve, APS vertical flow intercooler, APS down pipes, K&N air filters, APS baffled turbo sump)

· Jim Wolf Technology (JWT) organic single plate clutch.

· Lightweight billet flywheel. (JWT)

· Stainless steel braded clutch line.

· OEM aux belt’s.

· Custom coolant swirl/breather system.

· Silicon coolant hoses

· Koyo racing 36mm alu radiator.

· Custom 25-row thermostatic oil cooler.

· Custom powder coated/polished front timing cover, inlet runners and upper/lower plenum.

· Altered Atmosphere stage 1 fuel return system. (Inc. aeromotive fuel pressure reg. etc.)

· Deatschworks 800cc injectors.

· Walbro 255lph in tank fuel pump.

· Custom painted camshaft covers.

· NISMO high-pressure radiator cap.

· NISMO JDM alu oil cap.

· Custom oil catch can.

· Motul 300v 15w-50 motor oil.

· 5Zigen ZZ-spec JDM exhaust. Modified to a 2.5“ true dual system.

· APS 3.5†turbo down pipes.

Whats the problem with your motor Ray? Post it up on here so we can help?

Just a little more work that I've been meaning to do for ages! The cars oil temp runs between 80-95C and has been as high as 110C (cooler than the stock car ran with this huge oil cooler!) But as the car comes together and has its final map the boost and revs will be going up and so will the heat load. Not the best looking mod but very functional!

The oil cooler had less than half the surface area exposed to the airflow (You can see the dirty patch that has seen the air!) so now the airflow can get to alot more of the cooler. This has dropped my motorway running temps 10C! That should help alot when tracking the car too!

Few pic's of me "hacking" holes in my car! haha.

Iphone4006.jpg

Iphone4010.jpg

Iphone4011.jpg

Whipped the front end off again this morning to fit my new grill! It started pissing down just like every time i go out to work on the ca! haha.

Anyway, easy job 10mins to get the front bumper off again and 20 mins with the dremel and hand file and the new grill was on! Shame i did not have any left over to cover the holes for the oil cooler but ill order some more and remove the factory side reflectors to get some air to the intakes that are down in the wheel arches.

Pic time.

Iphone4036.jpg

Iphone4035.jpg

Iphone4034.jpg

Iphone4038.jpg

Iphone4037.jpg

I like the new look and it protects the intercooler a bit more from smaller stones/rock that may be kicked up.

Thanks.

• Like 2

WOW!!! LOL..

The exhaust is done! OH MY GOD! Im waiting for a knock at the door from the police! hahaha.. Its just a bit louder (read loud as f***!) than the 5zigen system! LOL..

Jess nearlly jumped out of her skin when I started it inside the fab shop! It sounds dirty, like an angry boat, its very deep and bassy too.

The fab guy messed me about so much I had my doubt's but he really does a quality job. This exhaust uses the 5zigen back boxes with a custom true dual mid-section and APS monster down pipes.

The car is loud but not to bad off boost. There is little to no drone at 70-80mph under cruise which is good Put your foot down and boost comes in faster and the tone of the exhaust goes mental. Its VERY VERY loud under boost! It pop's and bangs very loud too The bangs are that loud jess could hear them in the car 50 foot behind with the windows up and she was listening to the CD player!LOL..

So far Im loving it but I realy doubt this system would pass noise tests so If/when I get the car decible tested my first idea is to heat wrap the whole system from the DP's back to the rear boxes as this will reduce the noise. If thats not enough then Ill get some extra silencers added.

The last thing is the turbos have found there voice. Before with the older small exhaust you could not really hear the turbos spool up or slow down where as now you ca rev it at idle and hear them spool up. I took a vid of jess driving pass down my street but it wont up load off my iphone? Ill get some vids soon so you can hear what i mean.

Iphone4046.jpg

Iphone4047.jpg

Iphone4050.jpg

Got my Z-Speed under tray through the other day. The fitting kit has been lost in the bloody post!

Anyway Im sure ill get that sorted soon.

Few pic's.

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

As Ive whipped my diffuser off toget the exhaust done I've just spent a few mins with the brassos cleaning up the exhaust cans. Noticed just how much of my bumper has mented! LOL Time for a heat sheald I think...

IMG_0218.jpg

Ive also been after a good fire extinguisher for a while. I finally picked up a MSA approved AFFF foam LifeLine one from demontweeks the other day. I know its not huge ( I did want a 2.4L but it was too big for the space I wanted to use) But at least If you were very quick or it was just something smoldering I could dump what little this extinguisher holds on it and cross my fingers

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Picked my strut brace up from the powder coaters this morrning! Much sexier now! LOL.. The ends were grotty and the paint was pelling so now this looks alot better.

I know the stock strut brace is heave but I think its the stiffest and strongest out there and it has the adjuster to preload the bar which is great! !

IMG_02371.jpg

IMG_02381.jpg

IMG_02391.jpg

Edit: some shots fitted!

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Happy! LOL..

Picked up my CAT bracket today.

Was looking a bit used eg. s***ty! 10 mins with a wire brush got it looking alot better. Ive painted it with some high temp matt black exhaust paint I had.

Might aswell get the underside of the car looking smart if the cars going to last a long time!LOL..

Start.

IMG_0248-1.jpg

After wire brushing.

IMG_0249.jpg

A few coats of high temp paint.

IMG_0250.jpg

Ill get it fitted soon.

Edit: Fitted now in the pissing rain! LOL.. Its reduced the exhaust vibration quite a bit so thats good news! Not the most exiting thing but one more job done.

Picked up something to help with the engine bay temps today!

Before:

IMG_0271-1.jpg

IMG_0270-1.jpg

After:

IMG_0272-1.jpg

IMG_0273-1.jpg

Edit: Just thought I would add a few first thoughts. The Varis bonnet is very very light. Its very well made from the look and feel and comes complete with nice rain guards (Ive fitted them to keep the motor clean). Fitment is 95% OEM, there is a little bit of a gap but only 1-2mm bigger than the stock panel gap.

Ive got some new bonnet struts that are pressured to mach the bonnet weight so there going on tomorrow afternoon I think. Ill sling some pic's up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! It's nice to finally have the zed back in full working order too! LOL.

Jut a few pic's of today's tinkering!

First job was to get the bloody thing off the floor! Oh how I HATE jacking the zed up, it's got to be the worst part of any job! LOL.

ff408e50.jpg

I whipped the full exhaust system off again to get on with heat wrapping the system. I used what was left from my down pipes that managed to get me to about 12-14" from the rear axle so most of the exhaust is now wrapped!

Few pic's o the job.

8db751d2.jpg

d440e793.jpg

abb9c1c1.jpg

2b2c093d.jpg

Ive not had much time to see what difference it's made yet but I would say the car was a little quieter at idle? LOL.

Picked up a little gadget I've wanted for a while today. A cheap and cheerful SPL meter.

Its a calibrated one so I should be quite close to what you would get as a track side reading. The readings were taken at 50cm away at a 45 degree angle.

8133234d.jpg

8040c63a.jpg

As you all know the car is noisy I think it's a bit quieter now its been mapped but its still loud as hell really. I have no idea what sort of drive by SPL it would make as its louder on boost than just rev'ed with no load too.

Anyway, First vid is a cold start still on high idle around 1500 RPM.

This vid is a hot idle around 1000 RPM.

This vid is 4000 RPM (noise test for thunder road!)

This vid is 4750 RPM the standard noise test RPM (3/4 max rev's) The SPL meter is set on peak and hold so the 112+ decibels was the max it read.

This is as above but on the other exhaust pipe.

So as you can see I have failed all the UK noise tests!!!

Im looking to add 4" diameter magnaflow silencers but Im not sure how long they would need to be to get me down under the 105dB limit most UK tracks have?? I was looking at 14" long but Im now thinking more like there 22" long version? Any one have any ideas??

Also I have finally got round to getting the dyno's plots. There not very good pic's as there just quick phone photo's but you get the picture.

ca3ac86a.jpg

394ff51f.jpg

f755d221.jpg

REALLY FUN AFTERNOON!!!!.........NOT!! LOL..

Ive been meaning to swap out the manky old APS airfilters for ages and I was off work today so I thought I would give it ago. Being england it was OK outside to start but as soon as my car was on the ramps it starts to **** down

Anyway swapping the APS air filters is no easy job. The front bumper has to come off and the driver side filter is hidden behind the bloody washer bottle!!!

Here is some pic's of the job.

Bumper off took 10mins.

7de054bd.jpg

The washer bottle was quite hard to get off because of the holding bolts being on the inside of the rad core support. I really had to jam my hands through some small holes to get that bad boy off! LOL This is the old APS filter, Its really filthy!

f68e9214.jpg

The new K&N fitted (this model is for a snowmobile but is a perfect fit for the APS TT kit!)

15362dc7.jpg

The passenger side was a lot easier with no washer bottle there.

c2eee9d6.jpg

Old filters.

2e285d9c.jpg

7ccca19f.jpg

While the bumper was off I took some time (in the pissing rain! LOL) to look at mounting my front splitter.

79a9b4de.jpg

Its just mocked up in these pic's but looks to be a good fit.

173a9fe4.jpg

c4e34100.jpg

Took a while trying to workout where the mounts should go. Its hard to find space around the intercooler pipe work so Im using some OEM bolt holes on the Rad support frame. The front tie rods will take most of the downforce and these will be fixed to the crash brace to be nice and strong.

Passenger side Alu mount in place.

3584a3f0.jpg

4ad17925.jpg

Driver side mount in place.

3858cbb2.jpg

The cars back together now so the next job will be mocking up the splitter on the car and sorting out more mount points.

My bodies sore now from working on my back for too long

Not much of an upgrade hub one I've been meaning to do for a while! A bit of engine bay dress up. I've looked at gallery bolts and probolt stuff but it's SOOO expensive for what it is. So this afternoon I whipped the plenum outer bolts, head light, wing and front rad panel bolts off. Took them to Layton fasteners a little local fastener place (who also supply koenigsegg bolts!) to pick up some more bling ones. Swapped them all out for stainless steel dome head hex bolts and ss washers. Came to the grand total of £6!!!! LOL. Not quite as nice as the gallery bolt kit but about £150 cheaper hahahaha.

I've got some crappy pics ofthe bolts but it's gone dark now so engine bay pic's will be tomorrow!

0f62eb63.jpg

0f62eb63.jpg

The zed felt a little left out over the past week as the megane has got most of the attention! So I got a new genuine NISMO engine plate through the post today!

Must be worth 20bhp I think! LOL..

Its really nice quality and made from Alu.

96b595b9.jpg

e7761c42.jpg

e7716422.jpg

07fc27bc.jpg