New 60 MPH Motorway Speed Limits to be Introduced.

WhackyWill

The Highways Agency is proposing to introduce a speed limit of 60 mph 'for several years' between 7am and 7pm, 7 days a week on parts of the M1, for air quality reasons. Plans to extend the scheme to several other motorways, including the M3, M5, M6, M20, M23, M27 and M62, are already being considered for next year. This is just the tip of the iceberg which could lead to a national 60mph speed limit.

THESE PROPOSALS MUST BE STOPPED IMMEDIATELY. Motorways are a vital part of the nation’s transport infrastructure. The cost to the economy would be huge – greater transport costs, longer journey times, more congestion, less willingness for companies to locate away from London, less willingness for international companies to locate here. In addition it is unfair: transport accounts for just 20% of the UK's CO2 emissions, with cars responsible for just 11%. The motor industry has made enormous gains in recent years to reduce it’s impact on the environment, with cleaner, less polluting cars. :scare: :scare:

http://epetitions.di...petitions/58944

Edited by WhackyWill

I doubt that the motivation for reducing speed limits is air quality...

Whatever improvement is obtained from slowing the cars down I imagine will be lost

through a longer journey-time and the associated congestion–

more cars concentrated into a smaller area emitting exhaust gasses.

More likely a precursor on a multi-phase PR campaign to justify

more increases in taxes and congestion charges.

Phase 1 was probably the recent and continuous media attention on air quality here in London. :scare: :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill

They do say that having a slower speed is supposed to reduce congestion. But then there's been studies that show having a higher one can also reduce congestion. The key is no one else doing some speed massively slower than everyone else thereby causing others to slow etc and then congestion.

Edited by wizurd
  • Like 1

There's the old fluid dynamics thing as well. That passing through a smaller tube means flow rate must increase in the smaller section. So say cars are the fluid and there's more and more of them but the roads don't increase in width. We need to be raising speed limits to allow the flow to maintain. So should up the speed limits to 90mph and that way less congestion lol. Just an idea :)

• Like 2

Speed limits should be increased for motorways as cars have now become far more efficient at stopping with much shorter braking distance required + all the other safety features included in modern cars. The 70 speed limit was set while the majority of cars were quite frankly s**** at stopping with drum brakes etc, modern equivalent is far superior so the motorway speed limit should be upped to reflect this (rant over - just my opinion) :)

Edited by tatooandy67

No point talking about increasing or decreasing speed limits on motorways when 95% of the f*cktards that use them have zero idea of lane discipline. Honestly, it's utterly atrocious. If you've ever sat in the 2nd or 3rd lane when you could've moved over, congratulations! You're part of the problem.

Any way, less speed = less emissions assuming people stay in the same gear. Can't argue with the logic, sadly. Won't affect transport costs at all, HGVs can only do 56mph as it is. Proper use of ALL lanes will help keep journeys moving and get round lower limits.

• Like 2

No point talking about increasing or decreasing speed limits on motorways when 95% of the f*cktards that use them have zero idea of lane discipline. Honestly, it's utterly atrocious. If you've ever sat in the 2nd or 3rd lane when you could've moved over, congratulations! You're part of the problem.

Any way, less speed = less emissions assuming people stay in the same gear. Can't argue with the logic, sadly. Won't affect transport costs at all, HGVs can only do 56mph as it is. Proper use of ALL lanes will help keep journeys moving and get round lower limits.

True

Things like this boils my blood

Edited by Almeida1234

There's no point petition the government on stuff like this, the various world leaders are pretty much committed to reducing fossil fuel use, and motorist are an easy target.

But the future is not looking too bad for us 'petrol heads', I'm 95% sure the next car I buy will be electric, most likely something like the Tesla S, its not because I believe in global warming or care that much about fossil fuel use....It's simply because something like the Tesla S is so much cheaper to run than the equivalent petrol car, and because its a 'green' the wife has given the go ahead :D

Even Evo doesn't seem to think its too bad:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/292195/tesla_model_s_performance_review_specs_and_price.html

There's no point petition the government on stuff like this, the various world leaders are pretty much committed to reducing fossil fuel use, and motorist are an easy target.

But the future is not looking too bad for us 'petrol heads', I'm 95% sure the next car I buy will be electric, most likely something like the Tesla S, its not because I believe in global warming or care that much about fossil fuel use....It's simply because something like the Tesla S is so much cheaper to run than the equivalent petrol car, and because its a 'green' the wife has given the go ahead :D

http://www.evo.co.uk..._and_price.html

Yeah look's great if you've got a spare £69K odd to sp**k away on something like that. :wacko:

Personally though I don't and if I did I'd rather have a cheaper performance car plus the extra cash in my back pocket to run it.

• Like 1

If they want to ease congestion and improve air quality, they should spend some money on train tracks and trains, then shift a load of freight on to the rail network.

Half-arsed ideas like this don't provide any alternatives, just punishment for road users. The problems don't go away by taxing people or changing limits, they need to give people a sensible, punctual, properly priced alternative to driving and they'll find the people who don't really enjoy driving will soon shift off the roads.

Bit more carrot and a bit less stick.

• Like 2

http://www.evo.co.uk..._and_price.html

Yeah look's great if you've got a spare £69K odd to sp**k away on something like that. :wacko:

Personally though I don't and if I did I'd rather have a cheaper performance car plus the extra cash in my back pocket to run it.

Spending 70k on any car in my book is financial madness, but people do. But don't tell me your not tempted by the idea of a 3-4 year old M5 at 30-40k?? Who doesn't want that kind of performance for hot hatch money??....However £100+ to fill up, horrendous mpg, and high road tax means I'll never seriously consider owning one....But a 3 year old Tesla S for similar money, £10 to refuel, no road tax/congestion charge...For me it's a 'no brainer' :)

The government cannot ignore the constant stream of doom/gloom coming out of the UN about global warming, and given the unpredictable nature of the weather of late your be a brave man to stick your head in the sand and ignore it.

Either way Tesla have shown that electric cars are far from inferior compared to conventional machines, infact I would say they have shown just how inferior the internal combustion engine is compared to the elective motor in terms of generating motion. How you generate that electricity is another argument but for now I say the future looks good for 'petrol heads'. Tesla plans to announce a sub £30k car by 2017, cannot wait :)

I hope the guys at Nissan feel a little bit embarrassed that for all their money/experience in the car industry they could only come up with something like the Leaf, and Tesla a company that been around only for 10 years can produce the S.

Edited by gangzoom