Help please

Richy

How do I get rid of huge amounts of wax from my engine bay ? It is thick stuff and all over the paint work, as well as some of the plastic, and around all the bolts. It looks like someone was waxing it before I collected it new, and forgot to clean off. The heat of the engine has made it dry like concrete !!! :scare:

Having cleaned the car for the first time since I picked it up, I am really frustrated to know that the engine looks like it has snowed in there.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

It may be grease, I get that a lot in work I do (I'm a detailer), best thing for the exterior is to wash it with warm water and then clay bar it or use some iron-x or fallout remover then re wash and use a clay bar and lube on it. Can you take some pics of it? Engine wise it may not be as accessible so a good de greaser should shift it... :)

Edited by oVerboost

If the car is brand new could you not put the onus on the garage to sort it out?

I would rather sort out myself. The garage is two hours away, and I feel happier doing it myself that letting some else loose on the car !!

It may be grease, I get that a lot in work I do (I'm a detailer), best thing for the exterior is to wash it with warm water and then clay bar it or use some iron-x or fallout remover then re wash and use a clay bar and lube on it. Can you take some pics of it? Engine wise it may not be as accessible so a good de greaser should shift it... :)

I think a good de greaser is what I need. It is only the engine bay that is affected, but some areas are really difficult to get at. Am I looking for a car product, or a general; cleaning one ?

Can you post up any photos of your engine bay? It would give fellow forum members the chance to give you the best possible remedies.

Unfortunately my daughter has my camera and she is in the Czech Republic this weekend. I will get some photos up when she returns.

To me it looks like wax, that has been applied to all the engine bay paintwork. Almost like white candle wax It can be scrapped off, but my fingers are rather sore now !! Can't think why anyone would grease the paintwork. A little bit was on the plastic, but it rubbed off with a lot of elbow grease.

I have contacted the dealer, who will no doubt confirm what it is. Just being impatient as I feel the car is dirty when it should be pristine.

I love the midnight blue colour though. It is different colours in different lights, and it does hide the dirt. Having given it a good clean it doesn't look any different. :)

Sounds like transport wax. The garage would normally steam this off. Any other method will take you a very long time. I'd really ask them to do it for you on this occasion as they will be faster and better at it.

I think you are right. I will see if I can get it steamed off. Thanks for the advice.