Advice needed!

stuarty

My cars going in to have front bumper and a few other bits and bobs painted on 14th April.

The body shop is also going to carry out a full machine polish when its in. The owner said it would take about a day to machine polish my car properly.

He said he will prep the car wipe down with IPA then machine polish then wipe down with IPA again and finish off with a coat of wax.

My question is, would I be better getting the car back without a final coat of wax and apply a coat of sealer then a final coat of wax myself?

Honestly it will be fine with just wax, its all i ever do when i machine polish a car. 2 coats of wax 24hrs in-between coats will last for months.

Cheers Russ, so just ask him what wax he used and give it another coat next day?

or just use the dodo juice you already have, wax is wax at the end of the day.

Honestly it will be fine with just wax, its all i ever do when i machine polish a car. 2 coats of wax 24hrs in-between coats will last for months.

Cheers Russ, so just ask him what wax he used and give it another coat next day?

or just use the dodo juice you already have, wax is wax at the end of the day.

Cheers mate. I'm a sucker for reading into everything and paranoid I'm doing things correctly!

Personally I'd be avoiding the machine polish and the wax!

They really shouldnt apply any wax etc for 6-8 weeks to allow the paint to cure naturally. When paint cures it outgasses and this can cause "blooms" under any waxes etc.

Car paint when applied in the factory is cured in an oven at far higher temps than a body shop can replicate, mainly due to having an interior and stuff that would melt so needs time to harden fully.

Personally I'd be avoiding the machine polish and the wax!

They really shouldnt apply any wax etc for 6-8 weeks to allow the paint to cure naturally. When paint cures it outgasses and this can cause "blooms" under any waxes etc.

Car paint when applied in the factory is cured in an oven at far higher temps than a body shop can replicate, mainly due to having an interior and stuff that would melt so needs time to harden fully.

Great advice!

He's only painting bumper and wing mirrors, so I'll ask him to leave the wax off them and just do the rest of the car.

Am i right in saying when I get round to doing a basic detail myself the stages are?

1) wash

2) prep (remove tar and contaminates with IPA)

3) Clay

4) polish

5) wax

Thanks.

Wax needs to be applied at least four times a year as the longest it is going to last is 3-4 months, whereas a sealant lasts a lot longer than wax and can last up to 12 months. That is why a lot of pro detailers add a sealant, let it cure and then add a good quality wax to add to the shine. You do need to keep the undercover for this as some sealants can take up to 36 hours to cure.

• Like 1