Loud click clack coming from engine please help

Michael robinson

Hello was wondering if anyone could help me , my engine has developed a very loud click clack noise ( sounds like a diesel ) ..

I have posted a video on the 350z uk Facebook page as I don't no how to do it on here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4863263215/permalink/10152314076528216/

It has oil in and it is mid level . This was taken when cold .

This engine has been rebuilt about 1year ago maybe coming up to 2 years . (Was due to oil starvation) .

The noise seems to be coming from top of engine but might be a noise further down can't pin point it .

Any ideas or easy things to check would be appreciated

Can't see the video sorry as I'm not on doucheface book. :shrug:

If you use a mechanics stethoscope (or the cheap option of a long screwdriver) and press the end against different areas of the engines block then you may be able to better pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Sorry I'm not much more help but without hearing it I'm just guessing blindly.

WOW that's some noise (daughter does do FB)

It sounds like a valve hitting a piston to be honest - doesn't sound big end but then you would need to rev it and see if it rattles on the over run.

It could also be the cam chain although a little too uniform for chain slap - hmmmmmmm

Does she still drive or is it way down on power?

OK Blind guess number 1. I am going for a snapped bolt in the Cam chain sprocket - hitting the cam chain sprocket cover :)

This only applies if the ticking gets quicker with engine revs.

To prove - remove cam end covers and see if a bolt falls out :thumbs:

Look on the inside for wear marks as well ;)

Edited by Keyser

Doesn't sound well. :byebye:

Don't think it's the bottom end (as Keyser mentioned) but that noise definitely needs more investigation & I wouldn't drive it at all imo for fear of causing more damage.

Where are you based? are you near any of the garage traders from on here that you can take it along to?

Yes it does match the rev but when you rev high it stops for a second and then comes back ..

She still drives normal but dips in power every so often if that makes sense

That's good and bad - if it stops just as you let off then comes back in as the rpm dies down - could well be rods :(

Could be good as it would match my wild stab in the dark guess that its a bolt (fingers crossed for you)

If your handy with the spanners its a 2 minute job to check I think it's only 4 10mm bolts each side :thumbs:

Doesn't sound well. :byebye:

Don't think it's the bottom end (as Keyser mentioned) but that noise definitely needs more investigation & I wouldn't drive it at all imo for fear of causing more damage.

Where are you based? are you near any of the garage traders from on here that you can take it along to?

Am in the Newcastle area not sure if there is a good garage around here I normally just try and play myself

Hydraulic tappet failed/not pumping up, but there is also an underlying noise that sound very much like a big end knock to me, does it become resonant when you hold the revs at around 3-3,500?

Re the tappets, they are solid not hydraulic

I dont think thats big ends or anything bottom end, it sounds like the top. Liking the bolt on the cam sprocket suggestions, fingers crossed thats all it is and I reckon you might be lucky as it sounds more like interference than a moving part gone wrong.

Good luck, the only place I know near you is Skylinepart at Hexham and I dont even know if he gets on the spanners anymore, he would be able to diagnose though Id have thought, might be worth a call :thumbs:

Hydraulic tappet failed/not pumping up, but there is also an underlying noise that sound very much like a big end knock to me, does it become resonant when you hold the revs at around 3-3,500?

I heard that "underlying noise" as you put it and did think big end - but is it an echo?

Needs investigating thats for sure.

Re the tappets, they are solid not hydraulic

Sorry! why do I keep thinking the VQ has hydraulic lifters!