Can't view or call contacts from my paired I Phone

w31ney

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem. My Iphone is connected to the cars bluetooth, but to call people i have to go through my address book on my phone. I cant access it through the cars system

I have a 2013 sat nav unit.

Can anyone help?

Thanks guys

Welcome to the Forum :welcome: . As Gareth said you have to load them into the Bluetooth system

which is a time consuming pain. There is an instruction manual on here for the Bluetooth module

which shows you how to programme it. I just use Siri on my iPhone to call the numbers. :thumbs:

In all seriousness I can't really see the point of this feature. Making or taking a call of any kind in any way while driving is a dangerous distraction and if the car is stopped why not just use the phone normally?

If that were the case hands free phone useage would be an offence.

I have absolutely no time at all for those who you see texting/phoning on the move, or stopped in traffic with the phone in their hands/on their laps.

As drivers we all have to face distractions caused by others, but taking your viewpoint Sipar you may as well ban the use of ipods/cds/using the radio etc on the move and all in-car discussion. Particularly the carrying of children comes to mind as notwithstanding they are seated and belted as the law requires, how many times have we seen the driver turn round to see what's up or constantly peering in the rear view mirror to keep an an eye on little Johnny/Suzie?

Putting some reality into this, the actual act of receiving/making calls from the bluetooth connectivity in the 350/370's is no more "distracting" IMO than changing your music/radio station. And unless all conversation is banned in cars, is that taking place with someone remotely more distracting than with those in the car?

The downside, as the OP has found, is the effort of getting the ZEDs system to understand your commands about who you want to have conversations with! :lol: But then I get round that by my phone being mounted where I can see who is ringing and if it is another PPP scammer etc they simply get the red-button treatment.......in just the same way as when you turn your radio off.

P1070226.jpg

I don't entirely agree Colin. I am certain there is some research which found that use of 'hands free' in cars is as distracting as using the phone in the normal way.

With regard to your analogies, I personally find trying to change the radio station or the tracks on the audio system quite distracting in itself, but I'm fortunate that there's usually someone next me being the DJ :) so I don't need to worry about it. I agree that children can be a very serious distraction, but I suspect most parents would say there are times when they have to have the kids in the car, so it's an unavoidable distraction. I doubt that most phone calls are so important that they simply have to be taken in the car. And to be honest, I strongly suspect that speaking to someone who is physically present is less distracting than speaking to someone on the other end of the phone - I think we're naturally inclined to need to concentrate more when the voice is at the end of the phone, and the person in the car is at least able to see if you suddenly come upon on a potential hazard and (if they've got any sense) shut up and let you focus on dealing with it.

Of course it wouldn't be practical to ban every potential distraction in cars and I'm not actually suggesting it would be right to univerally ban the use of hands-free calls in cars. No doubt there are people whose jobs etc mean that they need to make calls. However, my preference would be for people to think about whether they really need to take a call in the car and if not, perhaps just wait until they get to wherever they're going. I feel much the same way trying to fight my way through all the numpties on the platform at Waterloo walking obliviously along with their faces buried in their phones instead of looking where they're going. I can't help wondering if the email or text they're reading is sooooo important it can't wait until they've got off the platform and out of my way :boxing:

Edited by sipar69

Bluetooth hands free, is one of the most useful inventions of the last 20yrs.

I say that as somebody who is behind the wheel a lot, and whom's job and hobby (chairman of a 36 team amateur football league) entails having to speak regularly to people.

Personally I would only take important calls whilst driving about busy roads, but then I would not really talk to passengers or anything in those situations. However, I don't find talking on the phone particularly distracting when doing regular driving.

Bluetooth hands free, is one of the most useful inventions of the last 20yrs.

I say that as somebody who is behind the wheel a lot, and whom's job and hobby (chairman of a 36 team amateur football league) entails having to speak regularly to people.

Personally I would only take important calls whilst driving about busy roads, but then I would not really talk to passengers or anything in those situations. However, I don't find talking on the phone particularly distracting when doing regular driving.

Fair enough - I guess we all have different distraction levels - personally I'm hopelessly easy to distract and I feel like I really have to focus most of the time behind the wheel (perhaps because I've not been driving all that long). I agree with you in that I prefer not to speak to my passenger if I'm concentrating on a busy road etc.

My iPhone works fine through the car system, never need to touch it and the voice activation or phone access via the steering is fine. I don't ever recall having to load anything into the system from the phone either, the car just accesses the phone contact list or history