Winter tyres

gstraw

Hey

Anyone use their car in the winter? How is it? I've come from only driving fwd cars and usually I get winter tyres on.

Th 370z will probably become a daily driver and I'm thinking nows the best time to get winter tyres.

So do you use your car in winter and what tyres do you use?

Thanks

It's ok in winter. You have to be careful when pulling off or turning on ice or snow but apart from that the car is fine. Last year I ran Michelin pilot super sports through winter and the grip on them in cold temperatures was very poor so this year I ran Michelin Alpin PA4's and the grip was a hell of a lot better. I use my car daily too.

Overall it comes down to putting a set of winter tyres on and driving to the conditions, just take it very steady if conditions are bad (although this winter has been very mild). Be very careful when driving down hill as first and second gears don't appear to have speed limiters and turn the traction control off on steep hills as that nearly made me crash once (car was braking one side of the car due to one side slipping on ice). Overall, wit a decent set of winter tyres and careful driving to the condition you should b fine but watch out for others who may not be controlling there car as well as you on ice an snow.

Had my winters for two seasons and they're awesome! Michelin pa3s. Tread is now down to 6-7mm from 8mm new. Should last me a few more years. PS I do 12,000 miles a year. Daily driver so decent use on them too. I tend to replace my summers every two years, and that's pilot super sports, whilst only being on the car for 7-8 months a year.

Great.

Can I run narrower rubber? Better for winter and also tyres are cheaper in 265:35/19 instead if 275/35/19. I'm 7mm smaller on diameter.

If I get 265 on rear do I need to get one size smaller on front also? Stock fronts are 245/40/19 and 236/35/19 are 8mm shorter on diameter so more In line with the rear height

Just a bump to ask if I should also drop the fronts to 235/40/19 if I'm going for the rears at 265/35/19. The reason is the rears will be 7mm less in diameter than stock. Should I also drop the fronts by a similarly amount so the car doesn't thibk my rears spinning faster and therefore I'm skidding? 235 in the front will drop my diameter by 8mm so it will be 1mm off

Just bought the winter tyres. If anyone else is looking for some nows the time to buy and keep in the garage since it's the end of the season so there's plenty of stock. If you wait till middle of summer there will be no stock lol

I bought 265/35/19 and 235/40/19. 265 is from tyre leader. Fallen euro winters for £122 a tyre. Very cheap. Other winter tyres are around £200-£300 a tyre. The front I got part worn off eBay- Pirelli with 5mm tread. £50 a wheel. So all in I'm

Ready for winter for £340. Not bad at all considering the massive tyres sizes the 370 has!

lol unstoppable in a good way! I remember the fun when I overtook a land rover on a country road covered in snow, the driver was clearly enraged as he flashed the headlights about 20 times! I could no longer see him in the mirror within a few bends though so no idea if he kept flashing them all the way home in a rage :D

I found both my current 370z and the 350z I had before it hopeless in snow and ice on the standard Bridgestones.

I thought about getting Winter tyres for the Zs but in the end I bought a cheap 2004 Suzuki Jimny which has switchable 4 wheel drive. You leave it in 2 wheel drive (RWD)for normal use and engage 4WD or 4WD Low when the conditions require it. Great little car - in 4WD Low it can just about climb the side of a house!

It's also a useful spare car for dumping in town, say on a night out. I'd never do that with the Z as I'm so paranoid about it being damaged or stolen but no problem with the Jimny - no ned would ever bother with it!

• Like 1

Iv had my car for 4 years in August, and used it all year round, even with 19"s on, it was alright. As long as you drive to the conditions, and dont expect miracles you will be fine. Yes winter tyres are awesome if you can get a set, but tried for 2 years and then gave up, not to mention the cost and storing them. This year il be taking a different approach which involves a Nissan Note on our company lease scheme, so i can keep the Z tucked up in the garage

If we lived in a snowy/icy country I think winter tyres are worth their weight in gold. When I lived in the SE of France, we had glorious sunshine and heat in the summer, but a lot of snow every winter. Most people are offered storage to keep their steel wheels with winter tyres on (or snow tyres depending where you lived). I had an old BMW (with no traction control) and survived every winter thanks to having winter tyres - going up roads that would leave even FWD cars struggling. However it comes down to learning and knowing HOW to drive in adverse conditions - when you do it daily with the right equipment it gets easy.

In the UK we seldom get weather that warrants a significant change in tyre, but if you're going for a second set you might as well go for winter tyres, and don't bother with snow tyres, since the winter tyres get up to temperature more quickly and offer better grip at low temperatures.