What can I expect?

PS13Silvia

I'm considering throwing a bit of money at the 370Z to liven it up so I keep it but not sure what to expect from engine mods as I've never modded a Zed before. Basically my thinking is to do all the intake & exhaust mods, simple NA stuff really.

Currently, my car just has an Akrapovic CBE bolted on & that's it. I'm thinking to finish off the exhaust a pair of long tube headers over the usual high flow cats. Either MCR or PPE, I would send these over to Zircotec for coating prior to fitting. Long tube headers make best power as I'm lead to believe plus they make an awesome sound, combine them with my Akrapovic would be something special

Then on the intake side, a set of Injen / AEM / Stillen filters, they're much of a muchness aren't they? Coupled with an M370 intake manifold.

Then of course a uprev straight afterwards.

What sort of torque / bhp increases can I expect from the above? What change to the power band can I expect? Would it be that much of a noticeable difference to drive or bit of a waste? Any suggestions to change / add / remove mods above welcome.

Would I be right in assuming OEM ignition & fuelling at that stage would still be up to the job? Or would coil packs (Okada?), Aeromotive 340lph pump & ID Injectors (for example) be required as well?

How long would the OEM clutch last? It's my daily so wouldn't want a snappy paddle in there. I'm aware that a lighter flywheel would release a bit more power also but I'd rather keep the driveability / smoothness.

Also on the list would be Ohlins coilovers, a few SPL arms to get a really good fast road set up & all-round brake upgrade so the chassis would get equal attention also.

Suggestions & criticism welcome,

David.

Then on the intake side, a set of Injen / AEM / Stillen filters, they're much of a muchness aren't they? Coupled with an M370 intake manifold.

What sort of torque / bhp increases can I expect from the above? What change to the power band can I expect? Would it be that much of a noticeable difference to drive or bit of a waste? Any suggestions to change / add / remove mods above welcome.

Would I be right in assuming OEM ignition & fuelling at that stage would still be up to the job? Or would coil packs (Okada?), Aeromotive 340lph pump & ID Injectors (for example) be required as well?

How long would the OEM clutch last? It's my daily so wouldn't want a snappy paddle in there. I'm aware that a lighter flywheel would release a bit more power also but I'd rather keep the driveability / smoothness.

LTH are the best! But be warned, those and catless test pipes can make the exhaust sound like a raspy piece of crap. I had to make and install Helmholtz resonators in my X pipe right where the LTH bolts to the X pipe because the rasp was so bad. Now it might be the best exhaust ever (I made it all :) ).

Intake I made my own also. About half the cost of the stillen and it's the same thing basically. I can show you how to make one with ease.

As for the manifold, a company and i are going to port and polish the OEM one. If you look at z1 motorsports they did it with dyno and the porting is cheaper than a m370 and the mid range is basically identical and you keep your top end where the m370 loses it. The company and I though are going to also port and polish the throttle bodies and lower manifold that's cast aluminium. We will dyno every part. We will tune every part with a before and after, and if all looks good we will start a core exchange program so we get your OEM stuff and sell you already ported ones ready to install. I have high hopes.

A tune won't be a 100% must but will give you the best gains with everything.

Here is my car with my intake and CBE and light weight rpf1's and then I added LTH's. Pretty nice gain with no tune yet.

image_zps0b4085b6.jpg

Everything OEM will be 100% ok. If you want to run ethanol then you need a new pump and injectors. Not sure if you have e85 there.

Clutch will last as long as you don't smoke it. 200 some TQ won't kill it. But drifting, racing etc all the time will. Don't worry about it. The clutch slave cylinder on the other hand fails all the time with any Z no matter whats done. It will or won't happen.

Long tube headers can't run any typing cats I am afraid.

We find stock headers work well fit a set of good quality HFC's , long tube inlets will give better top end gains but will suffer heat soak in traffic.

With all the above mods and your Akra exhaust your see some good gains around 25+ bhp from a totally stock car.

Sure there are some Dynapack DYNO plots from cars we have tuned on here.

Thanks

We find stock headers work well fit a set of good quality HFC's , long tube inlets will give better top end gains but will suffer heat soak in traffic.

With all the above mods and your Akra exhaust your see some good gains around 25+ bhp from a totally stock car.

Thanks

Reread what he wrote. I too thought he said LTH WITH cats but he says over cats. He knows haha

I think that's why he said he'll send them for coating. Ceramic coating will keep temps down. Or wrap like I did. Plus hfc keep some power at bay. LTH FTW!

image_zps612c98ba.jpg

Thanks

Reread what he wrote. I too thought he said LTH WITH cats but he says over cats. He knows haha

I think that's why he said he'll send them for coating. Ceramic coating will keep temps down. Or wrap like I did. Plus hfc keep some power at bay. LTH FTW!

image_zps612c98ba.jpg

Please can you post a link or advise what you used to wrap them?

Ta.

Thanks

image_zps612c98ba.jpg

Please can you post a link or advise what you used to wrap them?

Ta.

Sure thing, best wrap is DEI titanium wrap. It's like silk and stretches vs the old fiberglass stuff you had to soak in water before install. Plus you breathed in the fiberglass stuff and it doesn't have as high of a heat as the titanium wrap does.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010130/overview/

LTH are the best! But be warned, those and catless test pipes can make the exhaust sound like a raspy piece of crap. I had to make and install Helmholtz resonators in my X pipe right where the LTH bolts to the X pipe because the rasp was so bad. Now it might be the best exhaust ever (I made it all :) ).

Intake I made my own also. About half the cost of the stillen and it's the same thing basically. I can show you how to make one with ease.

As for the manifold, a company and i are going to port and polish the OEM one. If you look at z1 motorsports they did it with dyno and the porting is cheaper than a m370 and the mid range is basically identical and you keep your top end where the m370 loses it. The company and I though are going to also port and polish the throttle bodies and lower manifold that's cast aluminium. We will dyno every part. We will tune every part with a before and after, and if all looks good we will start a core exchange program so we get your OEM stuff and sell you already ported ones ready to install. I have high hopes.

A tune won't be a 100% must but will give you the best gains with everything.

Here is my car with my intake and CBE and light weight rpf1's and then I added LTH's. Pretty nice gain with no tune yet.

image_zps0b4085b6.jpg

Everything OEM will be 100% ok. If you want to run ethanol then you need a new pump and injectors. Not sure if you have e85 there.

Clutch will last as long as you don't smoke it. 200 some TQ won't kill it. But drifting, racing etc all the time will. Don't worry about it. The clutch slave cylinder on the other hand fails all the time with any Z no matter whats done. It will or won't happen.

Great cheers!

The rasp is my main concern. However was kinda hoping my rather quiet / boxy / mature Akrapovic would help that :lol:

Good to see you're making new parts yourself though :thumbs:

No E85 here. I don't want to go too mad with it, wanted to investigate what a selection of simple bolt-ons would achieve & if they're worth the investment over the much cheaper option: keep my car as is (just CBE) and get it uprevved

Thanks

Cheers Mark,

I had a quick natter to Jez last week who said the same about the intakes.

Seems that to unlock the majority of the cars potential is to focus mainly on the exhaust...

Thanks

image_zps612c98ba.jpg

Yeah, I meant instead of, sorry for any confusion guys!

And I've got Zircotec coated exhaust parts on my Evo, massive reduction in temps it's unreal, so only fair the Zed gets the same treatment :thumbs:

After seeing a good few before / afters with similar mods, average gains seems to be anywhere between 20-40bhp / lbf. Which, to me, if naff all & not worth the cost / effort / time / hassle.

I shall give it a P1 service next week plus a few other niggles I want to get sorted, then get it uprevved to see where that puts me. I feel I'll be heading towards chassis mods instead of power now I understand this engines tuning abilities better.