The ilogikal1 test thread

ilogikal1

Fujinon 26x optical zoom lens. :teeth:

I use a Fujifilm X-S1 which has a fixed, manual zoom lens. I rarely use the AF though, as it's not great for macro stuff - like yours it'll often hunt forever before giving up. I tend to use the manual focus as much as possible for these shots... or lean forward a bit and press the focus button again. :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Beads?

General question on coatings, is it all worth it over a decent sealant applied quasi regularly?

Sorry Stu, I've only just seen this so apologies for answering your question in the same year it was asked...

No, tbh. Coatings are expensive, they only come into their own in terms of durability but by applying coatings over anything other than bare paint (or trim depending on the product) you're just reducing that durability and it then becomes even more expensive.

That's assuming that the massive volume of solvents in the coatings don't just strip any sealant below in the first place too.

I wouldn't want to do it the other way round either as that itself is like applying a wax over a sealant - it'll reduce the durability of the top layer (as it won't bond to the coating much, if at all) and you're removing the water/dirt repellency behaviour of the underlying coating. So whilst there's no harm in doing it that way round but it's essentially a pointless exercise and waste of product all round.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to bump this thread now for several reasons. First and foremost, I'm bored and have nothing better to do that I can be arsed to actually do. :D Also the thread appears to have been relegated to page 2.. it's almost as if I haven't posted here for 3 months!

But also because; it's spring, which can only mean a post winter detail is in order... soon. I.e. when I have the time. Whilst that happens, I need to formulate the plan. In the mean time I thought it was a reasonable time for a Cancoat update.

Cancoat was applied 5 months ago. On not-entirely-well-much-less-perfectly prepared paint. Except for the small area of the rear bumper that was polished. In that time it has been washed once. Yes, that says once. And that was at Christmas, so a little over 3 months ago. Since then, the closest it's been to being "washed" is some rain. It's not been topped up. It's not had so much as a QD touch it since it was applied. Even the shampoo I used to wash it at Christmas was a pure shampoo, so this is a pure a test of Cancoat's real-world durability as you're likely to see. So how is it holding up I hear no one ask. Well let me tell you (un/fortunately there's no pictures this time, but there will be plenty in a couple of weeks before it's actually stripped off).

So to set the scene, the car is parked outside 24/7. When it is driven, it's driven on a mixture of motorways, A roads, B roads and through towns (or in other words, both busy and quiet roads, both cleaner and absolutely filthy tarmac) and it's covered probably around about 3,000 miles, ish, in all weather since early November (except snow. I don't recall any snow this year). I don't know about you, but I'd expect the car to be absolutely filthy as a result of this. Whilst it isn't quite as clean as it was, it's by no means filthy. In fact truth be told it's barely dirty. A (small) number of birds have been using the car as target practice, because hey what else are you going to do to occupy yourself if you're bird?! Well I opted to take the risk of doing absolutely nothing about this when they did hit their mark. Some were left for several days, but all have been washed away from the paint with nothing more than rainfall and whilst I've not done a thorough inspection with a proper light (but I have looked in direct sunlight) there doesn't appear to be any residual marring at all. The bird that hit windscreen has been more difficult to remove though, even with screenwash and windscreen wipers... the windscreen has G1 on, by the way. So to say I'm suitably impressed by it's claimed "self cleaning" abilities would be an understatement.

Obviously the most importantist thing of evar is the beading. Well the beading isn't quite as strong as it was when it was clean but even after 3 months since it's last wash, it's still putting the other cars along the street to shame. I've actually seen worse beading from a certain manufacturer showing off how awesome their products bead on their social media accounts. :lol:

Anyway, to summarise, whilst Cancoat was a bit of a phallys to apply accurately, once it's on it's pretty damn good. So it's probably good news then that Gyeon have now moved to a "pump action" spray head now. Or rather, two of them that now come as part of the "kit". Unfortunately I have no idea how this new system works as even Gyeon's own demo video is using the old aerosol can, so until I try it I can't even suggest whether it's an improvement or not. However you may have noticed I said "until" and not "if" I try it, that's because I'm pretty sure this is likely to become my go to winter protection product from now on. I can't give it a much better endorsement than that I don't think.

So yeah, it's impressed me. A lot. And to celebrate that, have a(n old) picture if it in action.

S0993242_zpswgqjkzqo.jpg

Now I just need to decide what to put on the car for summer....

• Like 1

So, PITA to apply, but well worth it.

The more I think about it, the more I think that it wasn't so much a PITA to apply as it was just a "not ideal" delivery method. Although that might just be me not remembering properly. :lol: Absolutely worth it for me though. It really has proven itself to be an apply and forget thing. Hopefully the new delivery system is better, although they do appear to acknowledge that the can takes a bit of maintenance by including multiple heads... but at least they do provide multiple heads!

I don't usually trust these miracle coatings, one shouldn't dabble with black magic and dark forces, but it's going to have to go on the list now.

Don't believe the adverts, the darkside have no cookies! We do have some shiny cars though. :teeth:

Edited by ilogikal1

Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to use it out in the open, to be honest. Although to be fair that would be based on it being an aerosol as it'd go everywhere (more so than in an enclosed space).

I'm sure the PB blurb is up to their usual standard, however it should be noted that the Cancoat blurb hasn't been changed at all (barring the last sentence about the contents of the kit) for the new version. I'll be purchasing the new version at some point, so I can/will confirm the actual delivery system when I've got it in my hands.

I really need to give this stuff a try sometime. With working inside it theoretically should be easier to use.

How many cars do you get from a can?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've got probably about a third of a can left from mine after doing two coats (I think I did 2) but I did have quite a bit of wastage due to my issues with the previous delivery method. Assuming this has actually been resolved this time and with a bit of care and attention I'd say you could easily cover the Z 4 times, possibly even 5 coats at a push.

• 3 weeks later...

A plan has been formulated for the next LSP :ninja: and the prep is under way.

In the mean time, I believe I was in the midst of a fallout remover test, thus...

Starting with some filthy wheels that haven't been cleaned in 4 months;

S0014144_Fotor_Collage1_zpspgu0y6in.jpg

The back was even worse.

S0074155_Fotor_Collage_zps9uyo9dkb.jpg

Now my usual procedure is to wash the wheels first, but there's going to be a slight deviation on this occasion because I'll be trying out CarPro Snow Soap. This is marketed as;

Because it’s Iron X Snow Soap, you’ll get the benefits of a snow foam pre wash that can soften dirt and grime with the advantage removing iron contamination. Snow Soap is a concentrated formula that can be used as a shampoo and through a foam lance. It can also be used on wheels to remove brake dust and grime, just apply the Snow Soap gel directly and agitate for fantastic results. Snow Soap has a good level of lubricants in and can be used as a clay lube.
(As per CYC)

So I bought a sample to try as a shampoo. Then I read then CarPro website;

For best decontamination results wash with Iron X Snow soap first and follow with Iron X spray. Iron X Snow Soap is an EXCELLENT prep wash and degreaser for removing traffic film, grime, dirt, and some brake dust/iron contaminants. Follow with Iron X spray for heavier brake dust removal.

Now maybe I'm a sceptic, but I read that as "it works like Iron X when you use Iron X with it"...

CarPro go on to explain;

Up to 1:8 - Good iron remover but use regular IX on a "first time car". Above 1:8 it becomes a very weak iron remover, but still a great cleansing shampoo

So I made a decision to use my 50ml sample to make up 350ml (that'll be 6:1 for those of you counting... or 1:7 if you prefer) of solution in a foaming spray bottle. I then decided to test it's decontamination abilities by using IXSS on one half of the wheel, a normal shampoo on the other half and then following up with Iron X.

So, 50ml sample, diluted into 350ml solution, sprayed on between the "Forged" (inclusive) and the last spoke before the "RAYS Engineering" bit of the wheel - otherwise known as the left hand side of the wheel below.

S0104161_Fotor_Collage_zpsbteza1s2.jpg

I left it to dwell for a minute or so whilst I tried to figure out if any of the colouring was iron reaction or just the fact that the solution just happens to be that same reaction colour anyway (it's actually a lot closer to that deep red/purple colour when it's foamed up despite it looking very bright pink in the bottle).

S0134167_zpswnonfnk5.jpg

S0154170_zps2gf03xet.jpg

It was then agitated using a large Wheel Woolie.

First observations; it stinks like fallout remover. Maybe not quite as strong a smell, but the scent is the same. If you're thinking "well, if it makes a decent shampoo then why not use this anyway?", that's why not! It's not pleasant.

Secondly, there's no discernible reaction from this, so at this point I'm not convinced by it's decontamination abilities.

It is quite well lubricated though, it's not the slickest shampoo ever but it's far from the worst too.

It foams up quite well too, in case that's important to you.

It still stinks though.

After agitating the IXSS half of the wheel, the entire thing was then rinsed which left me with this;

S0164172_zpsczblirid.jpg

S0174175_zps46brslhp.jpg

S0204180_zpspwiixi9q.jpg

Compared to the untreated and only rinsed section;

S0194178_zpsafqhqq6r.jpg

And some 50/50's;

S0184176_zpsdawfiwfo.jpg

S0214183_zpsmwg8rbar.jpg

S0234185_Fotor_Collage_zpsxxrkmiju.jpg

So it's not too bad at cleaning then.

The other half was then washed with a normal shampoo (just the other half, for clarity).

Normal shampoo on the left of the spoke, IXSS on the right;

S0274194_zpsfhzam1cz.jpg

It's a fairly adequate shampoo in terms of cleaning. Again, it's not the worst I've ever used but it's not a patch on my go to products. But that's only one of it's uses, so what about decontamination then? Well, let's find out.

The wheel was left to dry for a few minutes and then Iron X was applied to the whole wheel, left to work for 5 minutes and then rinsed off. After 2-3 minutes, it Iron X had done this,

IXSS side;

S0314201_zps72mmby9i.jpg

S0334203_zpsa7u891kh.jpg

S0344204_zpsnfmdyzbn.jpg

S0364207_zpsgadibhgi.jpg

S0374209_zpsalewny5w.jpg

S0384211_zpsvos3jpio.jpg

S0394212_zpscnqmzpxo.jpg

Compared to the normal shampoo side;

S0404214_zpstc9tchpo.jpg

S0414216_zpszsjbub9h.jpg

S0424217_zpse4vqztqw.jpg

S0434219_zpsmsyd7fek.jpg

S0454222_zpsa3krdeqc.jpg

So... er... yeah... not a great deal in it. It certainly seems to me that IXSS does very little to absolutely nothing to remove fallout.

IXSS is reasonably priced, it's only a couple of quid more expensive than Car Chem's shampoo in 500ml size. Oh, except that at 1:8, you'll be getting no more than 4 litres solution out of IXSS, compared to the 1:1000 (500 litres of solution) from Car Chem. And that's just their standard shampoo. If you go for the slightly more expensive Car Chem shampoo, you're comparing 4 litres at £10 to 950 litres at £11!

Maybe it's better as a snow foam then... well, there's the other thing mentioned on the CarPro website;

Per car it will consume 400ml neat with foam lancer with a fully closed lancer valve. That dilustion is for working on iron. As you know a power washer with the foam lancer sprays lots of water which means a high dilution while spraying. This is why why we recommend it neat with foam lancer if you want the IXSS to react on iron.

So 400ml per application. Or, about £7.99 worth. And I'm not in the least bit convinced by it's iron removing claims.

Suffice it to say, I won't be wasting any more money on this.

Oh, but there was one thing that came out of this. Seeing as Iron X had such a poor showing last time out I decided it'd be good to double check the fallout removal, so I did this after the Iron X;

S0474227_zpswv1ogb81.jpg

There wasn't a huge amount, but there were a few spots here and there still (on both IXSS and the normal shampoo sides);

S0494230_zpsn6tw6qgg.jpg

S0544240_zpsdczz4uzx.jpg

S0554242_zpsfm29vtar.jpg

http://i232.photobuc...zpsaliogk7z.jpg

So on the bright side, Iron X did a much better job all round today. It may just be justified in going through to the next round. Which is handy as that brings me onto this afternoon's test quite nicely. Expect more later.

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 1

I've only have one other new (as in not previously tested) decontamination product to test today so I'm going to pit a newbie against a previous winner. Luckily this just happens to coincide (purely by chance, obviously...) with a much anticipated comparison. For those of you keeping up, you've probably guessed today's contestants already. For those of you struggling, here's a picture;

S0014245_zpsqekq8j2n.jpg

BAck to the more standard test this time; wheels were both washed with shampoo and Wheel Woolies, rinsed and left to dry for 10-15 minutes. Iron X took the left wheel, Korrosol took the right wheel. After 2-3 minutes this happened;

Korrosol_Fotor_Collage_zpsnbad9mat.jpg

Korrosol_Fotor_Collage%202_zpsgvgecmbb.jpg

Korrosol_Fotor_Collage%203_zpsoxd8f1qa.jpg

Whilst Iron X did this;

Iron%20X_Fotor_Collage_zpsz91u8p1o.jpg

Iron%20X_Fotor_Collage%202_zpsiocsm3v6.jpg

Both were left for 5 minutes in total and then rinsed. The wheels were left to dry for another 10 minutes or so before our contestants swapped over for round 2;

Round%202_zpsghqud9kp.jpg

Korrosol took the left wheel, Iron X took the right. They were again left to dwell for 5 minutes, after 2-3 minutes this happened;

Iron X;

Round%202%20-%20Iron%20X_Fotor_Collage_zpszouj5jjt.jpg

Compared to Korrosol;

Round%202%20-%20Korrosol_Fotor_Collage_zpsfxiotpml.jpg

Round%202%20-%20Korrosol_Fotor_Collage%202_zpskuhwl9hm.jpg

Which is fairly conclusive. Korrosol wins.

Some other observations - Korrosol has a very sweet scent. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a nice smell, but compared to Iron X it absolutely delightful!

I also quite like Bilt Hamber spray heads; the trigger is just the right size, shape and feel to use. the spray pattern is pretty much in the Goldilocks band too.

In terms of price, 1 litre sizes, Korrosol is 4p cheaper than Car Chem Revolt (£13.95 to £13.99 respectively). Oh, but there's good news; Polished Bliss now sell Bilt Hamber stuff, and they sell Korrosol for £13, making it a whole 99p cheaper than Revolt... before postage. PB also sell Korrosol in 5 litre size for £52, compared to Car Chem's £47.99 for 5 litres of Revolt (plus £4.99 delivery charge). As close as makes no difference to the same price then.

For those struggling to keep up with the infrequent updates, a brief summary so far for you;

Auto Finesse Iron Out beat Wolf's Decon (which had beaten AM Details Iron, which had beaten Koch Chemie. Something also beat Nanolex, I forget what though).

Car Chem Revolt beat Gyeon Iron.

Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller beat GTechniq W6.

CarPro Iron X Snow Soap is s**t.

Bilt Hamber Korrosol beats CarPro Iron X (which had beaten CarPro Iron X LS).

Therefore the remaining semi-final contestants are;

Auto Finesse Iron Out.

Car Chem Revolt.

Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller.

Bilt Hamber Korrosol.

• Like 1

It seems I got my Gyeon fanboy on today;

S0074318_Fotor_zpsv6djzce9.jpg

I did buy stuff other than Gyeon too*, honest.

Anywho, the left hand side of that picture is destined for the Z this time. The foam unfortunately has arrived a day (well, a morning actually) too late to use this time and the Cancoat will be used on something at some point. I didn't just buy that without a plan in mind at all. No, I wouldn't do that. Not me....

On the topic of Cancoat though, this is the new, new, new, new version (I think we're on 4 now... possibly), and there's been some changes. You get a cloth with it now. A cloth! Oh and there are some less exciting changes too, most noticeably is this;

S0084331_zpsjy6zyltx.jpg

That's right there's more liquid!

Oh right, yeah, it's also no longer an aerosol. So that resolves at least two of the things that made it a bit of a pain to use. The aerosol can has now been replaced with;

S0054325_Fotor_zps8iai7phr.jpg

Two thumb-trigger spray heads instead. The "can" is now a aluminium bottle (similar to those that a certain retailer will charge you a fortune for, by the way...) with a screw lid. Standard procedure with any new detailing product will lead you to removing the lid and having a good sniff, like I did. You'll find inside a clear liquid that smells a lot like Auto Smart Tardis (that is to say that all you can smell is the solvents). Now, being a thumb-trigger operated spray rather than an aerosol, this version should be considerably easier to control/minimise any over-spray. It also means that it should be considerably easier to use in less controlled environments, and in smaller spaces like a garages. It could potentially even make it usable outside, however i still wouldn't recommend that if at all avoidable due to the complete lack of control you have over that environment.

Gyeon have also addressed the notorious clogging issue - I don't know if this solves the issue yet, but I will report back when I get round to using this - see if you can spot what that solution is;

S0074329_zpsjmnaiyqe.jpg

S0094332_zpscbshvyqg.jpg

Anyway, the plan for the Z currently revolves very much around coatings - View for the glass, C5 for the wheels (and headlights), quite probably Nanolex on the trim, and... er... "something else" for the bodywork. :ninja:

(*I also bought 2 foam lance gauzes. They aren't Gyeon branded).