The ilogikal1 test thread

ilogikal1

Same as davey. I use whatever water is left from main wash to clean the wheels, goes down well with the eco types in the street. 

I then get the pressure washer out and blast them with 500ltrs which makes Yorkshire Water shareholders happy.

I usually then start on my car if the wife is happy with how ive done hers. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always do wheels first because of the pressure washer. The last rinse of the wheels is always with the pressure washer (otherwise I always, always, miss bits on the wheels) which at best means water on the pristine clean and dry paintwork. At worst it's all the filth from the wheels splattered all over the nice clean paintwork meaning you have to start again.

I always do the wheels (and exhaust) first then start with on the paintwork with snow foam.

• Like 1

When i say blast them, i mean rinse them. It was for dramatic effect. They are rinsed with rest of car after wash. I blast them first as you do then use whatever wheel cleaner/fallout remover i have to hand which gets to work whilst i snowfoam the rest of the car, then rinse, wash car, then wheels after with said left over water then rinse off with pressure washer and dry. Works for me. 

• Like 2

You guys are crazy :lol:

Lots of interesting points but the correct way ;) is three buckets, one for wheels, two for wash and rinse of the paint. Naturally nothing that touches paint ever touches anything that touches wheels. Wheels have their own mitt and various brushes. Brake dust is too fine for me to trust in my good buckets.

Decon goes on the wheels (and exhaust) first and sits there whilst snow goes on the paint. Whilst the foam dwells on the paint, pressure wash the wheels and arches, then get your soaked brushes on the wheels (no particular order, that’s weird :lol: ) then get them all clean before the snow foam starts to show signs of drying on the paint.

Proceed with normal paint wash, simples!

• Like 3

Drying the wheels? Well I've heard of everything now... :lol: I don't dry my car these days, I use filtered water for the final rinse. If I did the wheels last, the surrounding panels (the horizontal ones at least) would be dry by then. If I waited until after the wheels to do the final rinse there'd be waterspots everywhere. I'm not fussed about waterspots on the wheels though, the silver hides them a lot better than the blue.

I didn't mean to suggest you guys were doing it wrong or anything, merely explaining my reasons for starting with the wheels. :thumbs:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperStu said:

(no particular order, that’s weird :lol: ) 

a) Yes. Yes it is. But,

2) my driveway isn't flat, so when I say a particular order I mean I always start at the wheel most downhill, whichever way the car is parked - that way I'm not kneeling in water. And,

c) I'm just weird. Suck it. :lol:

• Like 2

Must make tyre changes quite emmotional. 

Matt: just be careful with Barry

mechanic: i will do, i take it thats what you call the car?

Matt: No, Barry is the left rear, take your eye off him for a second and he’ll be rolling away, little terror. 

Mechanic: right.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks all :)

I use two buckets, wheels last and with different cleaning implements, some funny long brushes and a cloth that is never used on the rest of the car.

I keep my drying cloth handy in case I get any water on the already dried paint.

Only after it is all done do I wax or detail.

1 hour ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

Do you have numbered dust caps to get the right order each time or is like changing gears so you instinctively know the next move?

I literally have a order for wheels, cleanest to dirtiest for obvious reasons so..... OSR, NSR, OSF and finally NSF every time, every car.

3 bucket wash for me...wheels first, always...nothing used on wheels goes anywhere near the paintwork.

i also have Black Microfibres for drying the wheels after....so even when they are clean, i know not to use the black microfibres on anything else

On 22/11/2018 at 21:17, ilogikal1 said:

Per the condensed thread; In the spirit of fairness on the fallout remover test, Bilt Hamber have posted the following in response to this particular test; http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=410032

Even handed, if a little patronising response from BH. I can’t help but feel whining on about weights of product and dissolved contaminants is like saying, “My VW got 75mpg in the laboratory tests” when its just killed yet another polar bear under real world driving conditions.

It was a well reasoned, if somewhat political, response. I have to admit that I completely disagree with his penultimate paragraph about the capacities of the products - perhaps it's just my layman (mis)understanding, but if capacity were the all important factor on performance, surely the only ingredient in every fallout remover would be thioglycolate...?

I believe DIY really life test more than measured lab test in the case hence your test is much more likely to give guidance to me on which one to buy. I feel BH is indirect saying your test is complete BS and should not be taken into consideration when choosing the right product. As Stu said, lab will give a MPG figure that you'll never achieve in real life. :thumbs:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

It was a well reasoned, if somewhat political, response. I have to admit that I completely disagree with his penultimate paragraph about the capacities of the products - perhaps it's just my layman (mis)understanding, but if capacity were the all important factor on performance, surely the only ingredient in every fallout remover would be thioglycolate...?

I think that goes for any product, detailing or otherwise, that has an active ingredient. There's also (amongst many other) things to consider like the overall volatility of the product, it's viscosity, how it copes with non-target contaminants or surfaces and simple usability. I'd love to wash my car in lab, where there is only brake contamination on the surface, but then I'd never be able to take it out on the road.

46 minutes ago, Ekona said:

And please don't take my use of the word amateur to be offensive, I mean it purely as an opposite of being done in a lab in scientific conditions. I know you know that, but just for clarity so no-one thinks I'm being an arse :lol: 

You can make it up to me by paying me for my detailing. I’d be a pro then. :lol:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

I think that goes for any product, detailing or otherwise, that has an active ingredient. There's also (amongst many other) things to consider like the overall volatility of the product, it's viscosity, how it copes with non-target contaminants or surfaces and simple usability. I'd love to wash my car in lab, where there is only brake contamination on the surface, but then I'd never be able to take it out on the road.

Yep, there must be other factors involved besides the concentration of the active ingredient, otherwise all offerings would be the exact same formula (such as IPA) so Pete’s comment about my test not doing certain products justice because on paper they should work better is a bit of questionable logic, IMO.

Whilst certain brands may not appreciate my test, Car Chem certainly did.... so much so, that as a thank you they have sent me their new Car Cosmetics Trio Kit (currently on a Black Friday sale, by the way; http://car-chem.com/store/car-cosmetics/black-friday-sale-detailing) on them. Cheers guys, especially Luke. :thumbs:

carchem-black-friday-455x475.jpg

My understanding is that is Super Suds Shampoo is based on their 1900:1 shampoo (which I'm a fan of), Hydro Seal sounds like it is/based on Hydro Coat (which I'm a fan of) and Iron Detox I expect is/based on Revolt (I'm sure you know how I feel about that by now!), so I'm looking forward to trying these out. Expect reviews!

(Just don't expect them soon...)

• Like 2