New hood

Clive J

Hi guys ,

Mrs Clive J popping in to say we've had a new mohair hood fitted this week.

Cost £260 inc fitting and reusing our existing rear glass window. Looks fab !

Not sure whether its ok to post where here so if anyone would like more info please pm us .

It's made a big difference to the look of the car and we are really pleased with it y2a3azan.jpgaza2u9ed.jpgy7y7ymu5.jpg

• Like 4

Ok ,

It was Jack Smiths motor trimmers

Swansea tel 01792 461022 ask for Raymond.

They don't have a web site.

Think they do have a Facebook page though.

( not into Facebook here)

They had the car from Monday lunch to thurs lunch as they don't have a spare glass rear screen to precut the hood. I'm sure if one could be found within the forum it would really speed things up! The mohair folds much easier than the vinyl . We've left him our old hood as a pattern. It's a proper old fashioned place , the service and results were excellent

• Like 1

That looks great Mrs Clive J. Price sounds very reasonable too :thumbs:

I would say we'll hopefully see it at a West Mids meet soon, but I'm hoping we don't (cos the roof will be down as it'll be warm and sunny) :lol:B)

@ 14N

Absolutely , looking forward to a meet up .

It's supposed to stop raining soon....

We've one next Sat (15th) in Walsall, but if I remember correctly, I don't think you can make it??

That's fantastic value. I had the same work done to my girlfriends car when she bought it and paid £800 which seemed reasonable for what I was getting. You have a bargain there though! Don't forget to protect it with AutoGlym or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved and pinned as that work/price is something any 350 roadster owner needing a new hood would like to know :thumbs:

Indeed, don't need a new one right now but in a couple of years, well maybe. Daughter lives not far away too (Cardiff) so the distance isn't too much of a problem. How long does the work take?

Pete

Without them having a spare glass rear window in order to pre cut the hood it takes three days . As needs to have rear window removed from your existing hood and properly bonded in. They get very booked up so allow plenty of time . They have our old hood as a template now so that will help a little . If they had a spare window would prob be half a day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
After having your hood changed have you had any problems with it ? As I might be doing a drive to were you had yours done it s about a full tank off juice to get there for me . So just wanted to check if it's worth the drive as :-) thanks

Hi there ( mrs c j here ) we've been very happy with our new hood . It's actually much less temperature sensitive than the original vinyl hood. Hood operation is smoother, touch wood no leaks what so ever . ( we've had very heavy storms since fitting !) we have other jobs left to do to the car but a new hood really makes a vast difference

After having your hood changed have you had any problems with it ? As I might be doing a drive to were you had yours done it s about a full tank off juice to get there for me . So just wanted to check if it's worth the drive as :-) thanks

Hi there ( mrs c j here ) we've been very happy with our new hood . It's actually much less temperature sensitive than the original vinyl hood. Hood operation is smoother, touch wood no leaks what so ever . ( we've had very heavy storms since fitting !) we have other jobs left to do to the car but a new hood really makes a vast difference

thanks for that will be driving there in a couple off months to get one done :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

yep Jack Smith is just around the corner from me. Had a quote last week for a new hood, again rebonding existing widow...under 300 quid fitted. He does seats too and is renound for trimming car interiors. The MX5 community rave about his work. Top guys there Lads. And the roads in South Wales.......well were spoilt. lol

• Like 1

• 7 months later...