Vortech V2 sc rebuild & upgrade

daz-zn

Firstly I'm in South Africa and upgrades and performance parts are like hens teeth

I've managed to get hold of a used vortech V2 sc kit for my 04' zed

It seems to have run a bearing so I'm thinking about rebuilding it and getting a new impeller, I've heard of impeller upgrades will be looking into that

Can you only get bearings from vortech or can you match others up?

So the question is have any of you attempted this job and if none of the housings of blower are damaged can I just rebuild it and hopefully have no issues

I plan to do this on my own and wondered are there any tips or problems I might encounter

Thanks in advance....

Depending on how cheap and quick is postage from South Africa to US I would strongly recommend you send the blower to vortech for a rebuild. It's cheap and you get proven parts. It takes about a 3week turn around but its better than putting seals or bearings that are not up to the job and bring you back to square one.

For what it's worth vortech will not sell bearings or seals or any rebuild parts.

Supercharger rebuilds.com claim to have superdupper bearings and seals but reviews suggest its bunkum! 928 Motorsports have mixed reviews. But if you decide to rebuild your self go with 928 Motorsports. They sell upgrade bearings, seals, impeller and impeller shaft depending on application. I bought seals from them to replace my rear shaft seal which is weeping and a common vortech problem. Does not affect the operation of the head unit but just annoying. I'm yet to replace it but its a very easy and dies it require me to open the unit. There a numerous DIY videos on YouTube to rebuild the vortech head unit.

Vortech can also upgrade your SC head unit to upgrade impeller, HD race gears and bearings where possible and works out cheaper or they can give you cash back for your old unit against an upgrade.

I have a V2 T trim HD head-unit and considering upgrade to a new Ti trim unit or cash credit for a new v2 Ti trim or v7 YSi trim unit but I need to sort out my engine rebuild completely first.

Good luck with which ever path you take.

Thanks for the swift replys :)

I will PM the members mentioned above and see where that goes, I wish I could just send it back to get repaired but postage to of from South Africa is neither quick or safe... Don't think parts will ever return if I let them go

I have done research that states there is other well known high speed branded bearings I can replace the originals with but I'm skeptical as I would rather use originals

Tarmac was the supplier I was going to contact in the uk and searching the internet 928 motosports seems another option for rebuild kit

The last resort I have is I work in east Anglia and will be returning in a month or so is to bring the unit and get it rebuilt or even upgraded with a cash differance will I'm on contract

I have done some research on the net and come across a post from the past on another site of bearings that will work on the slow speed side the bearing is rated to 26.000 rpm, and the high speed side 45.000 rpm

I don't know much about the speeds these blowers run during operation perhaps someone can shed some light on this

Thanks again

Around 54000rpm max.

According to the Vortech jack shaft calculator - I think and this is all from memory! the V2 is rated to 50,000 rpm - based on 6250rpm engine speed with stock main drive and the 3.33 pulley - if you go under drive main pulley and/or drop the drive pulley as nearly everyone does you will exceeded 60,000 rpm maybe why Vortech say they won't warranty the SC if you use anything smaller than a 3.33? either way you want a bearing that will take 60k +

Just my thoughts :)

I also seem to remember the V3 is rated to 60K but that might be with the upgrade option?

Rules out the aftermarket bearings I have been told works then ;)

Just seen a reply from 928 motor sports on my personal email... They have the bearings and seals in stock, for the Vortech V2 SC Trim ( will see if I can get the bearing makes and the rpm limits before I order)

However they do not carry any other parts, and cannot get for this unit... Vortech only... They working on a shipped price so should have answers tomorrow

Thanks for the help guys.. I read a lot more then I post always lots of good advice and info on these pages

Ps... Last newbie question how the hell do you post a photo on your thread from the photo album on my iPhone?... Not a link etc the actual photo :)

:lol: nice find :thumbs:

I was basing mine on the Vortech jack shaft calculator http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=33511

If you find all the numbers and punch them in I'm sure it comes up higher than the rated rpm - was a long while ago though :)

Hands up though I was defo wrong on the warranty speed - how will I live with the shame :scare:

:p

Like I said before I would not trust any of these super duper bearings or upgrade parts from any other than vortech or to some degree 928 Motorsports. I have spoken to Carl the owner there before and he will tell you that the bearings supplied by vortech are the best fir thirse class of blowers and that's what they(928)supply themselves. Their seals seem to be better than vortech's as its twin-lipped so less likely to weep. However all seals fail so its not a biggie wherever you buy it and its an easy fix DIY. I bought this and yet to fit it.

The 928 impeller upgrade on the V2 S trim is proven to make more power than the vortechs and its rated to 60krpm but that's a moot point as the bearings for these class blowers that fit the Z are all between 53-55k If you want a blower with bearing that can go beyond 60k then you need to swap your unit to a V7 YSi with will need to be clearance but doable and has been done before. This blower is a monster HD race rated to 65k.

Otherwise the V2 T trim blower like I have is rated to 55k.

Other than this I think bringing your blower to the UK and sending it to vortech is the best either cashback or with/without upgrade. Simple vorteck inspection/ refresh is in the order of $300 while a full rebuild is $700 excl postage.