Suspension enhancements - is this the correct order?

Dynamic Turtle

So the ARB's, although perhaps not optimised and needing some minor suspension tweaks, are probably the right choice. It's easy to say try this / try that, but if you can't install and replace these things readily yourself, the cost and hassle becomes significant. You maybe just the geo looked at, and as above, perhaps some toe or camber adjustment. The next step (if you felt you needed it)would likely be stiffer dampers like Bilsteins (sounds like I sell them :D) for improved damper control. I read on here from someone who tried them, and they seem to feel they do not negatively affect the ride quality to any significant degree.

I might actually have a pair of OEM Rev-up ARB's available once I fit my Eibach's, but I'd question these being much of an upgrade TBH... 17% on a spring rate is about noticable, but on an ARB its a relatively small amount..

I had Abbey do a "fast road" geometry reset after the new ARBs were fitted

The Bilsteins might be a worthwhile compromise and I'm going to wait back for that user's impressions once he's put a few thousand miles on them - very little info on them (even on the US forums). On the upside if the don't work out I can't imagine losing much on a resale.

I dont know if anyone covered this, but i just put poly banana arm bushes in (courtesy of CS) and am amazed at the difference in the feel of the car. i had read everone saying they were good but didnt really believe it, but now i want the poly bushes everywhere!

I dont know if anyone covered this, but i just put poly banana arm bushes in (courtesy of CS) and am amazed at the difference in the feel of the car. i had read everone saying they were good but didnt really believe it, but now i want the poly bushes everywhere!

Yep, I felt the difference once I put new banana arms on that currently don't have the superpro bushes in them (need to get it done).

The steering feels slack compared to before :wacko:

Yep, I felt the difference once I put new banana arms on that currently don't have the superpro bushes in them (need to get it done).

The steering feels slack compared to before :wacko:

Interested in this also. Granted for some the change will feel a significant improvement in moving from tired bushes to new, and for a road car polybushed complete suspension can feel unnessesarily harsh (ulthough undoubtedly improves feel and response), but I appreciate small details changes like this that can have a significant, positive affect on how the car feels (increased sportiness!).

My banana arms are relatively new, replaced by the previous owner, so assuming the bushes are currently ok, however, Ill consider this one for the future. Likewise the polybushed diff.

• 6 months later...

I went with Eibach anti roll bars soft front middle rear setting, as I felt my car body roll alot being the V35 version much heavier and less underbody bracing in comparsion to the z33, cancelled out the bodyroll nearly completely unless changing directions rapidly at high speed but it just reminds me to slow down. Im contemplating coilovers but im not looking to drop ride height just feel the damping on the original shocks are on its way out. Deciding between HSD or HKS as heard comfort isnt really sacrificed and I doubt il see much track action.

Edited by SkylineV35

Briggsy I'm great with spreadsheets but not with screwdrivers - I can just about change the pads and top up the oil, that's about it :blush:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Whitelines, £70 cheaper than the Eibachs but still a bit toppy in material terms!

I have whitline on my 370z loads better not dramatically just feels like the front turns in nice now instead of pushing out

I actually found that fitting BC coil-overs to my Skyline 350GT made quite a big difference, in that they did not over damped like most, but the 350GT is about 100kg more than the Z so I think that's where it came from,

Having fitted both coil-overs and ARBs to other cars, and mostly found it too stiff without the benefits it should have, I am now very reluctant to fit both to a road car.

I actually found that fitting BC coil-overs to my Skyline 350GT made quite a big difference, in that they did not over damped like most, but the 350GT is about 100kg more than the Z so I think that's where it came from,

Having fitted both coil-overs and ARBs to other cars, and mostly found it too stiff without the benefits it should have, I am now very reluctant to fit both to a road car.

Interesting im thinking of coilovers i was looking at kw v3 or ohlins but im wondering if it cant much better than something nissan spend thousands on researching ?

Interesting im thinking of coilovers i was looking at kw v3 or ohlins but im wondering if it cant much better than something nissan spend thousands on researching ?

Ask yourself what Nissan was aiming for when they designed the OEM suspension, and you'll know if you want to change it.

To save the time, I'll tell you: A balance between comfort and sportiness (more towards the comfort spectrum) and longevity. The 350 is a GT car, and has very soft suspension if you wanted a sports car. Just ask the guys who have tracked theirs on OEM suspension and they'll tell you roll is a major factor, certainly was on mine! You can of course run something stiffer and accept the sacrifices made towards comfort, and whilst adjustable options will let you dial in as much as you want they'll never get back to OEM squidgyness.

Nissan designers/engineers are very good, but they're not suspension experts. We've not had a modern Nissan with what you would class as world-class suspension: 350 JDM is too stiff, 350 EU is too soft, GT-R is rock hard, and I won't even bother with the more generic stuff. KW and Ohlins are the masters of aftermarket suspension when it comes to performance (along with Nitron), as that's all they do. I'd personally only class Lotus as better, but you're unlikely to convince them to make you some shocks for a 350 ;)

It all comes down to a personal preference of what is 'better'. Better for me would be stiffer to stop roll, better for others would be softer to soak up the bumps. That's where Lotus are masters, as their cars can do both.

• Like 3

^^ What he said. For me, Eibach ARBs and MeisterR Zeta S coilovers has made the change I wanted - possibly more by happy coincidence, as it worked out serendipitously for me, than by knowledge or design choice, but I am very happy with my car. I made it go faster too :lol: Love my car :thumbs: