BMW M6 V10

Ekona

as mentioned, if you're considering fuel economy, this isnt the car for you, but in all seriousness... any indication of mpg from your drive? not expecting a lot, but surely it'd get mid twenties on a cruise?

A friend of mine recently sold his v10 m5 for the new v8. In the time he had it he averaged 17mpg mixed town & motorway driving.

Seems to be the general consensus from other owners, too. I reckon you'd get maybe 23mpg on a run in low power mode, but could you resist gunning it given the chance?

The more I think about this car, the more it has me completely split. I adore that engine, and the style of it ticks boxes, and from a pure heart perspective I crave it. From a more sensible viewpoint, could I really live with such a short range and with something that needs to be driven at silly speed to really enjoy? I genuinely do not know.

i like the look of the M6! fairly subtle german ubercoupe... whats not to like!

hmmm its certainly a tricky one - on the one hand, who wouldnt want a have access to a V10 engine that revs to 8000rpm... the sound and power would be enough to make a grown man weep. but on the other hand, considering the severe impact to wallet in fuel, tyres and servicing costs, is it worth it?

I rarely give the zed the full beans and thats only got 280bhp - when would i ever use nearly twice that power?! One small twitch of the right foot would see you north of 120, and rapidly climbing! :surrender:

if i had a lot more money and my commute involved 40 miles along a derestricted autobahn, and i did lots of cross continent driving, and i had a lot more money, i might consider an M6, but unfortunately its not for me at the moment!

Tyres and servicing aren't any more than the 911, which isn't any more than the 350Z was, but the fuel thing is definitely a huge jump from the current 30mpg I get from the Porker. I could live with 19mpg though, as I only got 23mpg out of the Zed so no hassle dropping back down. It's more the range that causes issues, as I like getting 400+miles out of a tank on a run atm. Still, the Zed isn't much better, so that's not a huge issue I guess.

Tyres and servicing aren't any more than the 911, which isn't any more than the 350Z was, but the fuel thing is definitely a huge jump from the current 30mpg I get from the Porker. I could live with 19mpg though, as I only got 23mpg out of the Zed so no hassle dropping back down. It's more the range that causes issues, as I like getting 400+miles out of a tank on a run atm. Still, the Zed isn't much better, so that's not a huge issue I guess.

Just buy it, you know it makes sense .. ;)

Tyres and servicing aren't any more than the 911, which isn't any more than the 350Z was.....

My mate that had the M6, came from an E92 M3, he said that he went through tyres much quicker on the M6 than he did on the M3.

For no apparent reason either.

I don't know but that's what he said about it.

His M6 was a soft top (M3 coupe) too, so maybe weight had something to do with it.

3.8 litres and 6 cylinders to 5 litres and 10 cylinders? Seems like a step forward to me ;):lol:

I know what you're getting at though mate, and you're right, but there's something to be said for a completely different ownership experience. I don't use the 911 as a sports car any more, it's mostly as a long distance cruiser. Put it this way, would the M6 have been any less fun on my Spain trip? Or doing LM this year? Or raping it round the IoM? Probably not.

Very interesting and articulate write up. Since you're never backwards in coming forwards with your opinions about cars you don't like, I'll give you mine. Although I'm not a fan of 911s, I can see why you'd want to own one; it's a classic and undeniably a handsome car with more than adequate performance etc. Conversely, the BMW to me is an ugly lump of a thing. No amount of performance would make me want it. Each to his own though. If you've got the itch own one....enjoy.

Edited by sipar69

If its never going to see a track and you want to experience Das Uber Barge then you can't go wrong can you? I've never been in an M6 but by all accounts the acceleration surge is immense. I just never 'get' Bimmers - even the coupes :shrug:

where are you based Dan? cos if you're midlands way, you should definitely buy it, and then give me a ride in it ;)

actually tell you what, you give me a ride in an M6 on road, i'll give you a ride in our beemer on our next trackday. it only ever gets compliments!

Edited by brillomaster

• 9 months later...

So with the prospect of moving the 911 onwards this year, my search for a new car starts with one of Munich's finest. The E63 M6.

M6front.jpg

M6rear.jpg

Yeah, awful pics! The ad itself is here, which is much better.

Still, no-one wants to see pics of it really. What you really want to know is whether a fat, lardy-arsed barge with a stonking great lump up front could possibly replace the greatest sports car ever. No chance, surely?

Initial impressions are quite positive. It's not that much bigger than the 911, certainly not in width but then the Porker does have that posterior which helps the girth comparisons. The M6 is bigger, of course it is, but the lines and possibly the deep black of this car help shrink it to the eye. It's very subtle too, with just the single labelled badge on the rear to accompany the two M logos on the side strakes by the repeaters. The biggest giveaway that this is something special is the trademark quad exhaust, the sure sign of an M-car. Considering this is a Bangle-era car, it really doesn't shout too loudly, and maybe my aging 34 years finds this to now be a plus point.

The doors open with a solid movement, and clunk with that reassuringly expensive Germanic manner. Dropping into the seat is a cinch with the large door opening, and the seat itself is a curious combination of a sofa chair (big padded bolsters) and a race seat (a billion motors in those bolsters to lock you in place).It's comfy, sure, but it's also grippy. There's leather everywhere and it's held up well in this car, with only a smidge of wear on the door cards giving away the 50k miles this 2005 model has done. The steering wheel is like new, which is pleasing, unlike the scratchy centre console plastics. It's better than the Zed, but still disappointing.

What isn't disappointing is the noise. Not of the interior, although the Logic 7 stereo is superb, but of the engine. It throbs into life with a smoothness to settle the slightly busy idle, but at this point it's still maintaining the subtlety of the outside. Click the SMG III lever across from neutral to drive, and off you go. It's a fully automated manual 'box, unlike my dual-clutch PDK in the 911, so there's no creep at all. I make a somewhat jerky move away, which is my fault rather than the car, but it's a pussycat.

If you know all about this era M5/M6 you can skip this next part, but I'm a gadget freak so I love this stuff. The car starts up with only (!) 400bhp, with the SMG in slowest change mode, and the three-stage EDC dampers in soft. Like this, it's a lovely wafting bargemobile. It feels docile, but it's got more than enough shove to overtake with ease, and with plenty in reserve. You can then push the power button to give you the full fat 500 bhp, and then you can change the shift mode into a more aggressive change whilst adding manual changes with the paddles if you prefer, and then finally cranking up the damping level. I settle for P500S, SMG 5 and EDC 2. The S in the P500S stands for Sport, which is activated only by pushing the M button to recall your favourite settings. Basically, it's a sharper throttle response, and activates the HUD which shows gear, speed and rev counter so you no longer have to adjust focus when pressing on.

And finally, after all that, you find a straight and you press the throttle to the carpet. And then you hold on.

Make no mistake, my 911 is a quick car, but the M6 makes it feel like a diesel Fiesta. The rate at which it gathers speed is utterly immense, and it's done with a soundtrack that gives you a full aural eargasm. The V10 wants to rev, and when you really ring it out to 8500 RPM it's got that beautiful metallic tingle right at the top, a proper vee-ten shriek. It's not like some uber-barges where you don't know what speed you're doing: Every millisecond that goes by, you're acutely aware that this thing is shifting hard. I've never driven something so ferocious, yet had so much control because it's NA not the false shove you get with a turbo. Honestly, I could rant about it for days, but make no mistake that this is a very special powerplant. I've topped 175mph in the 911 which has a max speed of 186mph, but the grunt this thing has leaves me in no doubt that it'll hit 200mph. It's savage. Watching the rev counter climb higher and higher into those big numbers would never get tiresome, although keeping an eye out for blue lights might.

And yet, it never feels out of control. The steering is perhaps lighter than I'm used to, but it's accurate and I had no troubles placing the the car on some very tigt twisty bends. It doesn't feel any bigger than the 911 either, which is good, so I know that when I chance upon the right road the M6 won't leave me hungry for Pork. The middle EDC setting seems well suited to the British B-road, and the nose settles very quickly allowing you to press on with confidence. The brakes are typical BMW sharp, and I suspect they'd wither on track, but on the road? They're solid, and stop the 1700kg+ with ease and more importantly with feel.

So would I change? Well, my love for a Temper Orange HR 350 is still there, so I need to drive one of those to find out exactly where I want to go to next. It's not certain the 911 will even go, I'm just exploring options right now. The one issue I may have with the M6 is that it's too quick for the UK roads, which is a criticism I've laid at the door of the 911 in the past. That said, I've still found many occasions to enjoy the flat six to the full, so is it less of an issue now I have a dedicated track car? I'm not sure. What I do know is that I adore the M6 in a way I never did with my very brief flirtation with the V8 M3, and I'd be very happy with one in my garage.

Although I need a bigger garage for that, as the M6 is 191.8" and my garage is only 192" long, and I'm not that good at parking :blush::lol:

Great write-up you have more info than a car salesman.

I shall come to you when I change my car as its either the BMW or a Audi A8 with the V10. My back saysI need a wallowing machine.

• Like 1

Audi S8 would be a lovely barge, I'd also look into something like the E63. The Mercs have the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. :)

Couple of years ago I was driving Jermain Defo to a venue at the Albert Hall.

I has a new S class and I found the seats in that quite hard as was the ride.

Now this could have been down to me not setting the active suspension.

But it had supposedly Air suspension so not impressed.

Possible the only way I would keep the zed is fitting air ride.

Never driven an E63 but have a 760 which was lovely.

I reckon one more year and my Zed will be floating around the Tradelink web site

I often drive my mates Lexus 600L with the 420bhp lump in it.

By ar the most comfy car I have ever spent time in.

But a car that depreciates by £200 everytime you sneeze.

He paid £94k in 2009 for it and it has 80,000 on the clock full service no expense spared.

He has been offered £12k against a new A8L 3.0 cdi.

What a joke

Audi S8 would be a lovely barge, I'd also look into something like the E63. The Mercs have the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. :)

Couple of years ago I was driving Jermain Defo to a venue at the Albert Hall.

I has a new S class and I found the seats in that quite hard as was the ride.

Now this could have been down to me not setting the active suspension.

But it had supposedly Air suspension so not impressed.

Possible the only way I would keep the zed is fitting air ride.

Never driven an E63 but have a 760 which was lovely.

I reckon one more year and my Zed will be floating around the Tradelink web site

56395860.jpg

• Like 1