Secret performance mods

Robothobo

Go for a nice panel air filter like the HKS Super Hybrid. It might help suppress your zeditis for a bit :D.

I have a 2008, VQ35HR motor of course.. and Nissan took out some of the "few" bolt on's we could to the car by making it more efficient. lol.

So no Spacer..

The fact is.. there just aren't many Bolt ons you can do to an HR.. and frankly to the 350 of the older motor or newer one. Or let me put it another way.. the bolt ons you can do.. which are all crazy expensive just don't net much horsepower. You could easily spend 8,000 in bolt ons and get maybe 5hp per 1,000 if you are lucky.

But I'm not complaining.. just searching for something I'm missing really.

Now as for the VQ35HR motors with the Dual intakes. I've done a TON of research on the CAI's vs. Stock box in airflow.. and there's really only one intake that beats the Stock airboxes on these newer designs.. and that's the Injen Long Tube kit.. (remove your front bumper to install this one).

The BEST bang for your buck that DOES gain HP (let's be honest ANY CAI is only a few HP on a stock car.. with all breathing opened up you can get above the 10hp mark.. but that's with intake manifold, piping, Headers, Test pipes (or HFC's I suppose),.. and full dual exhaust from there.

Point I'm making here.. is more than one CAI (several hundred dollar) kit actually makes zero gains, and on some Dyno's cause a loss of hp. Imagine that.. bolting on a CAI and losing power! lol..

So definitely go with something to free up a little bit of air -- And again, for the money -- with our Dual intakes and much, much better designed airflow in these 07-08 cars.. (pull air from beyond the engine compartment) grab two K&N drop in Panel filters (direct replacement for OEM).. and be done with it.

If you want to get a few more ponies,.. Go with the Injen Long tube dual Intake kit.. but the price doesn't justify the gains in "my book". Sub $100 for drop ins for 2-5hp (at best).. Or $500+ for maybe another 3-6 hp plus removing your front bumper (also have to remove that bumper each time to clean them.. must think ahead. :).

Exhaust, hrmm.. I'd grab a Cat-back for sure. They are louder.. but get a reasonable one like the one I just put on.. the Invidia Gemini -- Which from my experience is only noticeable louder at Idle and up to 2600rpm or so.. It's deep,.. but the tone shifts dramatically past that 2900 or so RPM mark.. Outside the car it's louder at any RPM range.. but it's not anywhere close to obnoxious loud.

As for other bolt ons.. I'm struggling myself to find some that give even 5-10hp .. Besides something like Pulleys, which make things like the Alternator , AC Compressor and so on move slower and I don't want that at all. You can get a light weight crank pulley and so on.. but not sure how much that is going to help.

I remember when I had my Mustangs.. $1000 would get you 30-40horsepower.. and there were half a dozen "free" mods you could do for another 10-25hp.. I guess I was spoiled on that non import, V8 that had a great deal of room to make "more efficient".

Not trying to start a debate here.. but you know the stock airboxes are much better than putting cone filters even with the shields in the engine bay like that. It's very Dyno proven.. The dual intakes with the newer engines vastly improved where the air was coming from by those two holes you see the stock airboxes were going to prior. The stock airbox with drop in K&N (or similar high flow) filters is the second best intake solution aside from an Injen Long tube intake ($550 or so). Many people even report some loss of power with the "in engine" short CAI cones after they go to the dyno and swap them in and out with the stock airboxes and HF filters in the later model 350Z's with the VQ35HR.

Now, in the Older engine design.. VQ35DE's -- the intake in the engine were absolutely better.. and of course a GOOD long tube intake that fed air from the bumper area was even better. But I thought all those long tube intakes were the same.. but Dyno tests show that most of them are even power from stock, or a loss.. The only one that consistently pulled more power was the Injen Long tube.. Something with the design, .. as longer tubes, more bends, etc = less air force/flow.

But I will say the Cone intakes in the Engines do look very cool. -- And i"m sure you have no intention of changing them lol.. it's just something that shocked me, and I frankly, didn't believe it until I saw a bunch of Dyno results from several people who actually tested all of this out.

Now even with all that said -- Your Takeda intakes very well may give you a few horsepower over stock.. only a true base dyno would show that.. and really the variance in dyno results is about what any intake is going to give you.. so it's really, really hard to tell if they are working or not.

But it's hard to argue with pulling air from outside the engine in the front bumper area in front of the radiator vs the ambient higher temps inside the engine bay, especially with a hood that isn't vented. Though sometimes the Sound from a Pop charger, etc .. is worth a few horsepower either way (plus or minus) :D