Best model year to buy?

clockwize

Hi mate. Just had a quick look on Pistonheads and there are a few there that meet your requirements. You made need to travel but thats a small price to pay to get the right car.

Payco

That one is now sold :( you snooze you lose :)

This... and this...

You made need to travel but thats a small price to pay to get the right car.

Payco

When I bought my 2007 HR Roadster a few years back, it was one of only 3 on Autotrader within 100 miles of my house. I drove to the first one, only to find it was sold, went straight to the 2nd one, and it was midnight blue... which just didnt do it for me. Garage also refused to budge even £1 on the full screen price. So, I called up about the 3rd one, which was at a main dealers, about 80 miles from my house and arranged a test drive for the very next day.

I turned up, car was perfect, had every single optional extra ticked - it was an ex Nissan Press car so they spec`d it as high as they could. But it was slightly over my budget. No matter what I tried the garage would not budge on the screen price at all. After about 2 hours of negotiating I got 6 months road tax included and that was it. I was a cash buyer too! One of the reasons they said they werent budging was that they had someone else interested in the car who would turn up and buy it the next day. I dismissed this as a typical salesman`s spiel, but after I bought the car and joined this forum, the guy who was actually going to buy it was on here and was a bit annoyed at the dealer as apparently they had already agreed to sell it to him!

So, just goes to show how rare the HR ones can be, how quick they can sell and how inflexible dealers can be on the price when they know they have something rare.

HR's have dropped dramatically in price recently...really closing the gap of the model years.

For 7k your not going to get anything better than a decent low mileage DE. GT4 was a good shout but holding there value too well for this budget. Personally for me the 06 rev up isn't worth buying and a HR at this price would be a dog/damage repaired.

I recently bought a 2004 GT in black for £4550, it has 117, 000 but full nissan service histort. My advice is not to let mileage put you off as other cars with half the mileage were complete dogs.

With a 7K budget you can any OEM pre 2005 model you want. As has been said do get a GT as the brakes are better, the bose system is incredible and the cruise is a god send.

Good luck!

Zeds do seem to get written off easily but if it's been repaired properly I can't see a problem with a cat D. I would have it inspected by someone to be certain though.

Not all, I had £5k of damage done to a 2004 UK Zed on close to 100k and it was all repaired :thumbs:

Sent from the golf club...

I recently bought a 2004 GT in black for £4550, it has 117, 000 but full nissan service histort. My advice is not to let mileage put you off as other cars with half the mileage were complete dogs.

With a 7K budget you can any OEM pre 2005 model you want. As has been said do get a GT as the brakes are better, the bose system is incredible and the cruise is a god send.

Good luck!

I was with you 100% until you said the Bose was incredible, it is not it is complete and utter cack...

Do you mean the sound quality / speakers etc or the ACTUAL head unit? My head unit with 6 disc must be the only one that works as ALOT don't. I think with an uprated HU the standard Bose speakers and sub sound great and could remain.

I had a 2000 Volvo C70 T5 which had a Dolby Surround soynd system and that was amazing as well. Can't say which was better as this was a few years ago.

HU - dated but fair enough its a 10y/old+ car

SQ - awful, tinny and bass is like someone farting in a tin can

Speakers - awful Mexican paper crap

Amp - the smallest, crapiest 'amps' I have seen

All in all not fit for purpose in what was a £30k car brand new...

Anyway music/sound systems are all down to the listener, most people would not dream of spending £1,000's on a good system and to be fair wouldn't appreciate it anyway...

No disrespect but the 'Bose' (not Bose) was not a good system 10 years ago and certainly isn't now

Edited by spursmaddave

. As has been said do get a GT as the brakes are better, the bose system is incredible and the cruise is a god send.

Good luck!

Err... brakes on all the UK ones are the same Brembos.. its only imports which didnt always have Brembos. The UK GT pack added bose, climate and leather seats. It was a very very very popular option which dealers pushed, so you`ll find the majority of UK cars have the GT pack.

As for the Bose, I wasnt overly impressed with it. Sure you get about a million speakers, including a subwoofer under the drivers seat, but I really struggled to get the settings to sound how I wanted. Then id find, the next song I played sounded terrible and id have to start adjusting things again. Still, having the tape slot is handy for doing the ipod hack.

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, Mariodiablo said:

I have 2006 gt ,and is fully loaded..300hp ,go it for 6500£ ,2018, was on 93000km.I think is perfect value for the money.

Pretty sure the OP will have found a car of some description in the past five years!! Thread revival haha.