A BUSY WEEK OF CHEAP MODS

blindbandit

This week I thought i'd have a play with some black matt carbon wrap, cost £5 and I'm chuffed with the results. I gloss wrapped the roof with a lot of help from a mate and then had the rear windows tinted. Finally installed some LED front reflectors from flea bay.

Thoughts please??

Dan

BEFORE

20131217_132656.jpg

20131217_132643.jpg

AFTER

20131224_150140.jpg

20131224_150118.jpg

20140123_163159.jpg

20140123_215836.jpg

Vinyl gloss roof wrap with rear window tints.

20140124_162124.jpg

20140127_155656.jpg

IMG-20140128-WA0001.jpg

Edited by blindbandit
  • Like 1

Love the LEDs and the roof. Not sure on the B-pillars (cant tell from the pic but looks like different vinyl to the roof?)

Not a fan of the badge though.

Have you thought about doing the front lip? That would look good.

last pic shows the front lip done, agree not so sure about the badges

Love the LEDs and the roof. Not sure on the B-pillars (cant tell from the pic but looks like different vinyl to the roof?)

Oh yeah, haha. I didnt see that.

Oh yeah, haha. I didnt see that.

or he took you're suggestion and put the pic up after :ninja:

• Like 1

Looks good, really like the front lip!... but not the badge like others have said. You want the badge to stand out really, and yours does the complete opposite.

How difficult did you find wrapping the roof and how long did it take time wise? Have 7.5 square metres of the stuff that i ordered off ebay and am planning on doing the roof and A pillars this weekend but think ive underestimated how difficult it will be!

Did you remove your a-pillars to do it, or just do it with them left on?

Edited by ostego

Thanks for your suggestions, firstly I agree with the badge, I wrapped it as it was starting to flake and I had some vinyl left. I plan on buying a set of high gloss black badges off Ebay. The roof wrap took 4 hours and was a bitch to be honest but this was mainly due to the cold weather and doing it on my drive. The contour of the roof makes it a timely process but well worth it :teeth: After reading lots of info on A pillar removal I decided against it as they are very easy to crack and expensive to replace. I can show you a close up of mine and its a neat job, I just overlapped the edges and then tucked under the rubbers on 3 sides. B)

Cheers Dan :)

Thanks for your suggestions, firstly I agree with the badge, I wrapped it as it was starting to flake and I had some vinyl left. I plan on buying a set of high gloss black badges off Ebay. The roof wrap took 4 hours and was a bitch to be honest but this was mainly due to the cold weather and doing it on my drive. The contour of the roof makes it a timely process but well worth it :teeth: After reading lots of info on A pillar removal I decided against it as they are very easy to crack and expensive to replace. I can show you a close up of mine and its a neat job, I just overlapped the edges and then tucked under the rubbers on 3 sides. B)

Cheers Dan :)

Could i get a close up pic of how you did it on the sides?

Have @*!# loads of this wrap, so am fine wasting 1 square metre if it doesn't go to plan but may try doing it without removing the pillars at first just to see how it comes out, as like you I've heard of horror stories removing them, especially in cold weather

How did you handle the cutting along the rubber seams that go around the roof pannelling though? would be terrified that with a knife cutting along that you could easily damage and cut into the seams

I'll try and take a few in the morning if it stops pissing down for 5 mins. The guy I had helping was a professional sign writer so he overlapped the vinyl on to the rubber by 2-3 mm then cut it with a scalpel. He said with a little bit of practice it's easy to cut the vinyl without marking the paint or the rubber. After this he warmed the rubber up so it was supple then lifted it with a thin plastic ruler and pushed the vinyl under it with a credit card edge with electric tape round it.

A couple of tips from my experience:

1. do it indoors if poss
  2. get the temperature up of the ambient air and vinyl as it makes it so much easier to stretch over larger areas
  3. go to ebay and buy the proper vinyl squeegee and scalpel with a round handle as it makes life easier and is cheap as chips :D

Hope this helps, this was my first play with vinyl so I'm not expert, but made a lot of mistakes that could of been avoided if I did the above.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...