Battery upgrade

GT4 Zed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/04/2019 at 21:24, cob1980 said:

Just thought I'd expand on this old post if anyone is interested.

The Bosch S5 008 (AH 77 CCA 780) recommended above is the biggest capacity you'll find but it doesn't fit the tray. Won't move about much but still, if you want next best thing....

Bosch S4 026

It fits the tray nicely, capacity wise isn't too much less, and if you have a blue Z then it's win win!

AH 70

CCA 630

20190411_124201.jpg.fbcc89d2058f85b10ac12614229931a7.jpg

Cheers for the reccomendation @cob1980.

After 12 years my zeds original battery finally gave up the other day, replaced it with one of these and like you say it fits perfectly :D 

My OCD wouldn't have been happy with the S5 if it doesn't fit in the tray properly :lol:

11 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Cheers for the reccomendation @cob1980.

After 12 years my zeds original battery finally gave up the other day, replaced it with one of these and like you say it fits perfectly :D 

My OCD wouldn't have been happy with the S5 if it doesn't fit in the tray properly :lol:

Hello mate glad it was of use to someone, same here my OCD got the better of me and I couldn't cope with a battery that didn't fit in the tray. I must have wasted hours of my life trying to find the biggest capacity battery that would fit the best :wacko::lol:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bagz said:

I don't know if you have a different tray but the S5 is millimetre perfect in mine. It took a bit of wiggling to get it seated but it's not going anywhere. 

Must have, it was definitely too big, I took the tray out to check. Mines an 05, presumably you have a later year then? 

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a new battery. I have a 54 plate 350Z. And am confused

Can any confirm which battery will fit please. The Bosch S4 026 is L 266mm x W 175mm x H 220mm so I'm assuming anything less that that should be ok?

*** Update ***

Decided to take a punt at a ADVANCED POWERPLUS 068XD Car Battery 75ah 630cca.

Dimensions are the same as above and it does say (but it would, wouldnt it lol) that it is ideal for cars that do low mileage and performance vehicles.

Edited by heyho
Update

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

@V1H post some details about your new battery here.

Hello, I just upgraded my 370Z's original 6.5 year old SLA battery with an ultra-lightweight LiFePO4 battery: Powerlite PS-30. This 30Ah model goes for £250, which sounds expensive, but is perhaps the cheapest weight-saving mod there is. Which other aftermarket part saves 15kg for just £250? :)

LiFePO4.jpg

LiFePO4 also lasts ~5x as long as Lead-Acid batteries, and has no memory effect.

Cranking power is much greater, too, when comparing like-for-like size. Hence, this small 30 Ah battery has 800 CCA, which is even slightly more than the big old one's 740 CCA rating!

As seen in the photo, I added the optional copper terminals to my purchase (#PS-CU0930). The battery comes delivered with an unbranded cheap LiFePO4 specific charger, but I opted to buy a proper CTEK Lithium XS multi-stage charger with trickle function so I can plug in my 'garage queen' over winter and forget. ;)

(Just make sure you don't charge your LiFePO4 with a conventional Lead-acid battery charger)

Although such a (internally 4-cell) LiFePO4 battery has a nominal voltage rating of 12.8 V, a single cell when fully-charged has 3.65 V, that is, the battery voltage is 14.6 V (100%). I read that a cell charged to 3.4 V is already 95% full, that is, 13.6 V (95%) for this battery. And a conventional automotive alternator outputs around 14.4 V. So, no worries, this battery will charge to about 99% anyway. The battery also has internal short-circuit, deep charge and over-charge protection, as well as, a handy built-in voltage LED display.

Edited by V1H

1 hour ago, V1H said:

Hello, I just upgraded my 370Z's original 6.5 year old SLA battery with an ultra-lightweight LiFePO4 battery: Powerlite PS-30. This 30Ah model goes for £250, which sounds expensive, but is perhaps the cheapest weight-saving mod there is. Which other aftermarket part saves 15kg for just £250? :)

LiFePO4.jpg

LiFePO4 also lasts ~5x as long as Lead-Acid batteries, and has no memory effect.

Cranking power is much greater, too, when comparing like-for-like size. Hence, this small 30 Ah battery has 800 CCA, which is even slightly more than the big old one's 740 CCA rating!

As seen in the photo, I added the optional copper terminals to my purchase (#PS-CU0930). The battery comes delivered with an unbranded cheap LiFePO4 specific charger, but I opted to buy a proper CTEK Lithium XS multi-stage charger with trickle function so I can plug in my 'garage queen' over winter and forget. ;)

(Just make sure you don't charge your LiFePO4 with a conventional Lead-acid battery charger)

Although such a (internally 4-cell) LiFePO4 battery has a nominal voltage rating of 12.8 V, a single cell when fully-charged has 3.65 V, that is, the battery voltage is 14.6 V (100%). I read that a cell charged to 3.4 V is already 95% full, that is, 13.6 V (95%) for this battery. And a conventional automotive alternator outputs around 14.4 V. So, no worries, this battery will charge to about 99% anyway. The battery also has internal short-circuit, deep charge and over-charge protection, as well as, a handy built-in voltage LED display.

That's quite a neat little product, I'm always in for weight saving. My battery is due a change so interested in this.

Would this just work fine all year round without the additional charger and did you manage to fit it snugly given it's much smaller than the OEM battery?

18 hours ago, Exotic said:

That's quite a neat little product, I'm always in for weight saving. My battery is due a change so interested in this.

Would this just work fine all year round without the additional charger and did you manage to fit it snugly given it's much smaller than the OEM battery?

Yes, it fit in straight away with no modifications whastoever. Even the OEM battern clamp works as there's a provision for shorter batteries, i.e. a 2nd lower sitting hole on the fire wall for the short hook. I can make a picture later today.

I am not certain on using the battery for daily driving. I think I read the battery has ~2000 cycles? So I don't actually see why you couldn't daily the battery. Just remember the reduced capacity of 30 Ah. That is, don't run your HiFi in Key-On-Engine-Off

• Thanks 1

I'm very Happy with my Optima Red Top battery i bought from Tanya 

https://www.tayna.co.uk/brands/optima/ 

815CCA and smaller than the OEM battery leaving plenty room in the bay.

Have left car in airport parking lots for over 2 weeks in the coldest months of january/feb each year iv'e had the battery and car starts up straight away every time. Longest i left the car without starting was a month and even then it started fine.

Edited by DarmoZ

• 4 months later...

I've just replaced my Bosch S5 in my 05 with an Exide 096 AGM Car Battery 70Ah AGM700 EK700 from Tayna for £108 including delivery and VAT.

Brand    Exide
Range    Exide Micro-Hybrid
Voltage    12 Volts
Technology    AGM
Capacity (C20)    70 Ah
CCA (EN)    760 A
Length    278 mm
Width    175 mm
Height inc. terms    190 mm
Guarantee    3 Years

The S5 was OK and has lasted 3-4 years (notably less than the original battery). That said it did run flat once over a 2 week holiday in the winter and struggled to hold charge for long thereafter.

Given the price, I thought I'd try an AGM battery as they're supposed to hold their charge for longer, especially in colder conditions. Of course, only time will tell, but so far it's been top notch and appears to be operating very comfortably (not surprising given its spec).

Like the S5, the Exide AGM was a tight squeeze but fits snugly once installed. Just make sure you remove all the plastic edging held in with the standard poppers and pull all wires out the way before installing as it's pretty heavy.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Just a note - in case your terminals don't fit anymore (mine fell out on track :) ) then you can buy these lovely little battery shims (made of lead) which you can crumple into the terminal posts (just open up the terminal cable eyes as wide as you can and then tighten with a rachet wrench until it clamps around it tightly and the lead will compress into a tight fit):

796344064_Screenshot2020-07-13at16_46_13.png.fefc2a078cf5106db18c67398cf5df14.png

Then you'll get a nice snug fit like this:

20200713_163828.jpg.4b2fba064c7212c66ed9dd572d983eb5.jpg

shim_a.jpg.d29b52367a0336295c6b131a46af4d3a.jpg

Beast of a battery!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection here. 

My battery is an RAC / Exide one with 540CA from memory. Iy cranked over worryingly slowly yesterday morning after being left only since Saturday. Luckily in work we stock 100's of Yuasa batteries & I'm debating whether to upgrade to the 096AGM. It's a 70Ah with 760CCA & it's quite cheap to me. I'm a little worried by conflicting info on the internet whereby you can't fit an AGM to a non-AGM system, or that once you change to AGM you can't go back to lead acid. Other places saying the alternator & electrics aren't compatible with newer AGM batteries.

Anyone?

Can only comment from personal experience - my Exide AGM is still going strong with no obvious compatability issues with electrics or alternator. It tends to last longer when not in use (useful right now) than the standard lead acid battery in my other car. It also looks to have the same specs (see previous post) as the Yuasa you're considering. Just make sure it's dimensions aren't bigger than what other people have reported being able to fit as it was a tight squeeze even after removing bracket/trim parts (if I remember correctly) to get better access to battery compartment.

Thanks Daveymonkey. My other worry was the replacement (for me) must sit inside the original battery tray without having to butcher it. Mine is my daily driver so I may not benefit from an AGM, maybe just an 096. 

Has anyone had to cut their battery tray or do these 278mm wide batteries fit in 'properly'?