Bonnet hinges

cmp999

61 reg 370 went in yesterday for new hinges and the bottom of the "A" post re-spraying. I went to fill up the screen wash a couple of weeks back and on lifting the bonnet I heard clicking noise and felt a vibration. It turned out to be the passenger side of the bonnet catching on the "A" post, this in turn has chipped off the paint. Also on further inspection I noticed that the bonnet was not fitting flush against the wings, so off it has gone to the body shop. :wacko:

61 reg 370 went in yesterday for new hinges and the bottom of the "A" post re-spraying. I went to fill up the screen wash a couple of weeks back and on lifting the bonnet I heard clicking noise and felt a vibration. It turned out to be the passenger side of the bonnet catching on the "A" post, this in turn has chipped off the paint. Also on further inspection I noticed that the bonnet was not fitting flush against the wings, so off it has gone to the body shop. :wacko:

Hope they are doing this under warranty.. :scare:

I've seen a few threads about this and when I was looking for a 370 I went to see a red 370 that had this problem, corner of the bonnet touched the wing when the bonnet was opened and did not align correctly when closed

Glad you're getting it sorted

How can it come out of the factory like this, what about Jap quality control

also should be picked up on pre-delivery inspection... :blush:

I've seen a few threads about this and when I was looking for a 370 I went to see a red 370 that had this problem, corner of the bonnet touched the wing when the bonnet was opened and did not align correctly when closed

Glad you're getting it sorted

How can it come out of the factory like this, what about Jap quality control

also should be picked up on pre-delivery inspection... :blush:

it wasn't new Will, it was a 59 plate, the nissan dealer wasn't overly concerned "we'll sort that for you" but I didnt want to buy a car that needed repairing for £19k, plus the steering wheel wasn't straight when driving straight, just had a bad feeling so I walked away

The bonnet hinges were not like this when we bought the car, to be honest they do look flimsy and they are designed to pop up in an accident. I also think part of the problem is that when cars go in for services these days things like hinges are no longer lubricated like they used to be. That is something that I will be doing in the future and hopefully it wont happen again.

Certainly a known issue - Will370Z had this with his 370.

Kinda think that in the design they did not leave enough tolerance for the movement and the setting is critical. Have to say mine has been OK but only by thickness of a fag paper

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive been watching mine to make sure this doesnt happen, but today it got very very close on the driverside.

Lubed it up, and it appears better, however the driverside is still very very close to the wing (2-3mm) where as the passenger side has much more clearance (5-6mm).

It doesnt appear to be very obvious what i can/am supposed to adjust to fix this?