Boot not releasing properly.....

Space Cadet

I didn't hear back from zmanalex, but have just replaced the lid weight and even without the washers in the poppers it now releases fine?! So its now completely back to normal and is working properly for some reason. Presumably having being messed around a bit its sorted itself around. Worst case i can pop one or two washers back in the poppers.

I've found it can be intermittent too, not sure how much tempreture is a factor and also length of time the boot has been unopened. These do seem to have an impact in my experience. It clears 99 times out of a hundred now, and so far I have:

Replaced pop springs with genuine Zmanalex/Nissan pop springs

Replaced boot struts (this was to stop tailgate falling on my head when open, not to assist boot pop!)

Removed rear wiper (this was for cosmetic purposes, but there is a not insignificant weight reduction too)

Removed boot weight

Added rubber "bumper" feet (approx 1cm in height) to the pop springs

The last two on the list had the most noticeable effect, but were also the last steps I took - so not exactly scientific proof :lol:

I don't experience any drafts or any increase in noise since these have been done, there's no water ingress (which would suggest the seal is still tight).

Anyway, that's all the steps I could find on here and it's now sorted, fingers crossed. Glad you seem to have it fixed too bud, hopefully it won't come back.

• 1 month later...

Following on from this, I think my boot latch may need adjusting so as when the boot is closed it’s held a bit closer to the bodywork and therefore the rubber seals. I can hear the two parts of the latch knocking against each other when I go over bumps etc. Thanks.

Yep! The boot weight is there to assist with the closing of the boot, not the opening, the latch keeps the boot shut. As per my 350, I removed the weight and had no issues thereafter, the 370 has had the same treatment and no probs there either. As per all the previous advice, if required a couple of common tap washers as spacers will help, 50p spend :) . Of course if you've £140 to blow... :wacko:

Thanks but not sure I understand your response.

My boot is completely back to standard now with the weight back in place etc. and as previously posted all is working fine.

My 'new' problem is the knocking from the two halves of the latch (I think) and my request is if anyone knows whether it's able to adjust the latch so as to bring both parts tighter to each other?