Engine Starting Consistency...

Kuro

Given that I'm such paranoid Zed owner, I thought I might open this one up to the community :)

Ok, starting the Zed.

Normally I dip the clutch, turn they key get a couple of 'chugs' and a whoosh, and all is well. Everything is fine, nice and stable etc.

Very occasionally (twice this month) The Zed has struggled a bit getting going. It actually fires up, and then coughs a bit (the revs drop really low) before eventually settling out and running fine.

All of this brown-trouser-facilitating stuff takes place very quickly I have to say. It always seems a bit 'air' related to me (I may be barking up the wrond tree) and it seems like the Zed hasn't enough air to get going. Albeit for a second or two...

So, is that normal? :) (95% of the time it's fine!)

I mean, what's other owners start-up consistency like? (for sound, feel, time etc)

I think I know what you mean. Mine normally starts no problem, but I have experienced similar to what you describe on a handful of occasions. I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

cool B)

Funny ever since we had a flat battery ours does exactly the same, fine on cold start but after switching off and restarting when warm does as you describe, we have tried to fathom the problem but without success.

I know there's a specific start procedure for a warm engine, but mine doesn't like it too much - either that or I'm doing it wrong. In the manual it says something about starting (hot) with the loud pedal depressed..?

My Scooby was like this, it's as if the car knows when you are taking it for granted, or getting used to it and likes to give you a mild coronary now and again... :)

If your like me, it was the throttle body getting dirty. Mine got so bad that once i disconnected the battery, when i reconnected it, it wouuldnt re-start without some throttle when it was warm. I assume the computer had compensated for it up until the point it got reset.

cleaned out the throttle body, and its smooth as now. Idle without A|C on isnt to lumpy either

Jamie

Guest prescience
Phil, would you like to post a quick "how to" on this?

Yes that would be nice given that the advice solved the problem :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Same in the US and particularly in the south on hot (really hot) days after driving for a bit. Usually a small blip on the throttle while cranking will bring her up alive.

Now for the bad news, particularly those running high boost (high intake temps). You can kill the electronic throttle control/throttle position sensor mounted on the throttle body quickly. I'm on throttle body number 6. It's so bad that I keep a spare throttle body on hand. I think it's heat related so I'm working to get some more cooling air flow in that area. Nissan now sells factory rebuilt throttle bodys at a fraction of the cost of brand new ones -- I can buy 4 rebuilt ones for the price of a brand new one.

I'm so good at swapping 'em out it only takes 10-15 minutes and I'm back on the road again.

Basically, I've broken every part on the 350 that's easily breakable simply because my 350 operates beyond the original design limits. Remind me to post photos on a clutch thread of a throughly cooked stock clutch.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...