The 2014 F1 Chat Thread.

WhackyWill

Not a good sign for tyres again in 2014.

Nico Rosberg suffered a 200mph tyre failure on Thursday at a private Pirelli test in Bahrain. The German's Mercedes outfit are among four teams helping F1 supplier Pirelli with development work in the Gulf state this week. Damage to Rosberg's Mercedes caused by the spin and the tyre failure meant the team had to end its programme for the week. Red Bull, Ferrari and Toro Rosso are also taking part in the test, which started on Tuesday and ends on Thursday.

:scare: :scare:

Not a huge issue IMHO, these are test tyres and won't be used again. If they don't know where the failure point is, then they can't move forwards. Unlucky it was Rosberg and at 200mph, but that's what testing is for.

• Like 1

I do love it when one or two people go to another team and people think it brings the team down :blush:

What people don't realise is that there are so many people back at the factory behind closed doors it's not going to make a difference. As long as you have Newey and Vettel together they will do what they do best

Absolutely true. : :thumbs:

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has slammed Formula 1's reliance on simulators as a 'joke'.

With F1's recent strict in-season testing ban having forced teams to rely on ever more complicated simulator technology, di Montezemolo thinks the time has come for a rethink.

He believes that the expense of simulators is now such that serious consideration should be given to a wholesale return to testing as it would be better for teams - and cheaper.

"It is a joke," said di Montezemolo during a lunch with media at Fiorano. "We have been forced to invest a huge amount of money in these terrible machines, artificial, instead of testing here [at Fiorano] and Mugello.

"If somebody has no money to do tests, it is better to race in GP2, in go karts or go and play basketball. I want to do testing to first of all give new drivers the possibility to drive cars and get experience.

"But I also want to give more opportunities to the public because from one race weekend to another it is silent in F1. There is nothing, nothing.

"Testing is also a good opportunity for the sponsors, to call the public. And tests are less expensive than building and developing every month the terrible simulator. This is something we have to discuss for the future."

Although di Montezemolo is aware that F1 costs are too high, he believes restricted testing dumbs F1 down - something he is vehemently against.

"I think in soccer if you want to compete in the Champions' League, you have to buy good players, you have to train sometimes even five times in a day. This is competition," he said.

"I think that it is ridiculous that in F1, from one side, we are not allowed to test, and from the other side we are forced to spend a huge amount of money in the windtunnel in which we develop aerodynamics that I cannot transfer any of to my [road] cars.

"I don't want it to seem that I am a conservative old fan of F1. I think if we were allowed to do more testing, the scandal of the tyres [in 2013] would not have happened because even for Pirelli it is very difficult as they cannot do too many tests."

F1's testing ban has been relaxed for 2014, allowing a number of in-season tests to take place following grands prix during the year.

But then you'd have an even bigger disparity between the richer and poorer teams. Imagine the big four (Fer, McL, RB and MB) lapping all the other cars by two or even three times per race. Would that be better for the sport? I'm not so sure.

Personally I'd rather see Marussia and Caterham kicked out, as they have made precisely zero progression over the last few years in terms of fighting for points. Bin them, let someone else have a go (assuming there's another team with funds to try).

But then you'd have an even bigger disparity between the richer and poorer teams. Imagine the big four (Fer, McL, RB and MB) lapping all the other cars by two or even three times per race. Would that be better for the sport? I'm not so sure.

Personally I'd rather see Marussia and Caterham kicked out, as they have made precisely zero progression over the last few years in terms of fighting for points. Bin them, let someone else have a go (assuming there's another team with funds to try).

There's currently applications being accepted for new teams for 2015. They have to pay £5k to apply and then have to provide evidence of how they can afford it, who their backers are, drivers, technology owned/ with access to, staff you have available etc. Applications close at the end of Jan.

There's currently applications being accepted for new teams for 2015. They have to pay £5k to apply and then have to provide evidence of how they can afford it, who their backers are, drivers, technology owned/ with access to, staff you have available etc. Applications close at the end of Jan.

£5k...Try $5 mill...!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

No, $5k.

"Several specific requirements must be met for initial consideration to be added as a 12th team in Formula 1, according to the FIA. These include a $5,000 "initial registration" fee.

Other requirements include: "A cover letter introducing the candidacy; the candidate’s full contact details; the candidate entity’s certificate of incorporation, details of its administrative headquarters, the date of founding/registration, its company number, a copy of its statutes/memorandum and articles of association or equivalent as well as details regarding its management generally."

In addition, potential teams need to submit: "the identity of all shareholders and the ultimate beneficial owner of all shares; a curriculum vitae for each director and officer of the company; and information on the candidate’s relevant experience and capabilities, including technical experience, racing experience, facilities, equipment and engineering resources."

All of the above needs to be submitted to the FIA's Secretariat before 5:00 p.m. CET on January 3, 2014. Late submissions will be considered only at the discretion of the FIA.

The FIA indicates that once a formal expression of interest is filed, the full application process will commence. This will include a total application fee of $130,000 (against which the $5,000 will be applied). Among its selection criteria, the FIA has indicated the following may be considered: "the technical ability and resources of the team; the ability of the team to raise and maintain sufficient funding to allow participation in the Championship at a competitive level; the team’s experience and human resources; the FIA’s assessment of the value that the candidate may bring to the Championship."

No, $5k.

"Several specific requirements must be met for initial consideration to be added as a 12th team in Formula 1, according to the FIA. These include a $5,000 "initial registration" fee.

Other requirements include: "A cover letter introducing the candidacy; the candidate’s full contact details; the candidate entity’s certificate of incorporation, details of its administrative headquarters, the date of founding/registration, its company number, a copy of its statutes/memorandum and articles of association or equivalent as well as details regarding its management generally."

In addition, potential teams need to submit: "the identity of all shareholders and the ultimate beneficial owner of all shares; a curriculum vitae for each director and officer of the company; and information on the candidate’s relevant experience and capabilities, including technical experience, racing experience, facilities, equipment and engineering resources."

All of the above needs to be submitted to the FIA's Secretariat before 5:00 p.m. CET on January 3, 2014. Late submissions will be considered only at the discretion of the FIA.

The FIA indicates that once a formal expression of interest is filed, the full application process will commence. This will include a total application fee of $130,000 (against which the $5,000 will be applied). Among its selection criteria, the FIA has indicated the following may be considered: "the technical ability and resources of the team; the ability of the team to raise and maintain sufficient funding to allow participation in the Championship at a competitive level; the team’s experience and human resources; the FIA’s assessment of the value that the candidate may bring to the Championship."

That's the FIA fee structure, Bernie hasn't applied his fees yet...!! ;)

Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport so they should be allowed to spend all the money they have on faster/better cars. I also like the idea of 3 cars per team, that way you have more top drivers in top teams and makes for a closer championship. IMO teams that have financial trouble don't belong in F1 (harsh but true)

I agree that Caterham and Marussia should be kicked out! they are a joke and shouldn't be allowed on the grid! GP2 cars would make mince meat of them :lol:

Cannot wait for the new season.

New rules look interesting, energy recovery and fuel saving looks like new/bigger elements compares to last year. So drivers are going to have to adapt/change their driving style mid race even more compared to last year, can honestly see one man benefiting the most from the new rule changes....youngest driver to win 5 world championships, personally I wouldn't bet against it!!

Cannot wait for the new season.

New rules look interesting, energy recovery and fuel saving looks like new/bigger elements compares to last year. So drivers are going to have to adapt/change their driving style mid race even more compared to last year, can honestly see one man benefiting the most from the new rule changes....youngest driver to win 5 world championships, personally I wouldn't bet against it!!

I agree it should be an interesting season.

But isn't motor racing about doing 65 or so laps in the fastest possible time by the fastest car and driver.

This will just be another season of first 3 laps will be exciting, then all will go into energy / fuel saving mode

for the next 55 laps and then the last 10 laps will be the race. Give everybody enough fuel for the whole race

and give them enough tyres that will last, then let them race each other.

As regards the "Green" lobby, just tell them that the amount of fuel used by the cars, transporters, and all other vehicles

involved over the 5 days of GP is equal to the amount of fuel used by a Boeing 747 travelling one way between Heathrow and NY.. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Good job for Ross Brawn..!

Formula 1's owners should prepare for a totally new way of running the sport after commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone steps down from his role, reckons Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.

Rather than being replaced by a single individual, di Montezemolo thinks F1 should be run by a group of experts that can help ensure grand prix racing maintains its popularity.

Too much tinkering by far to try and make it close racing, which has obviously failed, particularly this year. Stop tinkering and introducing stupid rules like double points, drs, kers or now ers, tyre design etc etc

No point in having a full grid if half the cars cant compete, i would prefer to see 3 teams and 6 cars if the racing was tighter, who really cares about what is going on half way down the field, does anyone really have any interest in caterham (apart from being british) and Marrusia and what they achieve. Its just a fill in until you see the leaders again if you are at the circuit.

I want to see drivers racing their cars to their full ability for all of the race, not a number of laps and then 70% or so.

Seven-time Formula One racing champion Michael Schumacher is thought to have suffered a serious head injury following a skiing accident.

French broadcaster Europe1 said it had obtained information that the 44 year-old German had been sent to hospital with a head injury, described in some reports as 'cranial trauma'. He had been skiing in Meribel in the French Alps.

No further information is currently available about the incident.

Schumacher became the most successful Formula One driver of all time after a string of championship wins between 2000 and 2005 took him to seven titles overall.

He retired in 2007 but made a comeback with Mercedes three years later before quitting the sport again in 2012.