Cyclists reaction

coldel

Seems that something is happening, although just a short term measure that will have no long term impact

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-25080427

But for me here-in lies the problem:

"In four hours, the officers stopped 70 lorries and issued 15 fixed penalty notices for offences such as the vehicles not being fit for the road.

They also stopped 100 cyclists, who were given safety advice."

You can't fine cyclists.

Edited by coldel

I won't go biking with my dad and brother as they have no respect for traffic laws and I am constantly embarrassed and having a go at them.

I know there are points to be made on both sides about cyclists on the roads and everyone get tarred with the same brush.

However if I see a cyclist on the road at night with no lights I will shout at them, the same way I will hold my horn constantly if I see a car at night with no lights on.

Tbh, and this may sound harsh but maybe it's Darwin's theory sifting out the retards. Hmm. Maybe not because a retard car driver can kill a cyclist but you see my point. 95% of people are idiots.

Edited by CrumbMC
  • Like 1

I hate it when I see a cyclist jumping red lights. I will never forget the time I saw an old lady nearly hit on a crossing when a cyclist came through the traffic and thought he was above stopping at the red. To this day I have no idea how she wasn't knocked over

Edited by 350 Russ

I hate it when I see a cyclist jumping red lights. I will never forget the time I saw an old lady nearly hit on a crossing when a cyclist came through the traffic and thought he was above stopping at the red. To this day I have no idea how she wasn't knocked over

I was crossing the street in London a few years ago, saw the cars were stopped on my right as I got to the junction, looked to the lights on my left which were red with a green man, took 1 step on to the road and heard a cylcist screech to a stop and almost go over his handlebars... then proceeded to shout at me!?! WTF F'off mate!!

The majority of road (pavement) cyclists are selfish moronic idiots imo. Almost got knocked over today by some stupid woman riding her bike on the pavement. :angry: They pay nothing to use the roads ~ do not have to take a test to ride there bikes on the roads and constantly flout the laws of the roads!! Yet tax payers foot the bill for millions if not billions spent on the roads each year to make it safer for them to use!!! :rant:

• Like 1

The majority of road (pavement) cyclists are selfish moronic idiots imo. Almost got knocked over today by some stupid woman riding her bike on the pavement. :angry: They pay nothing to use the roads ~ do not have to take a test to ride there bikes on the roads and constantly flout the laws of the roads!! Yet tax payers foot the bill for millions if not billions spent on the roads each year to make it safer for them to use!!! :rant:

How do you know they aren't tax payers? ;)

I cycle from time to time and I agree with the comments on the lights/pavement thing but there are some really worrying comments in this thread.

I nearly got knocked over by a cyclist while I was walking the dog about 30 minutes due to him cutting from a cycle lane to the pedestrian side going around a corner.

The side by side thing is a legitimate formation in the Highway Code if you read it properly, admittedly most cyclists dont know this or use it properly either.

There are always two sides to every story. We all have to use the roads safely and it only takes common sense from everyone :)

• Like 1

I can only assume you just cut and pasted that straight out of the Daily Mail.

• Like 2

How do you know they aren't tax payers? ;)

I cycle from time to time and I agree with the comments on the lights/pavement thing but there are some really worrying comments in this thread.

I nearly got knocked over by a cyclist while I was walking the dog about 30 minutes due to him cutting from a cycle lane to the pedestrian side going around a corner.

The side by side thing is a legitimate formation in the Highway Code if you read it properly, admittedly most cyclists dont know this or use it properly either.

There are always two sides to every story. We all have to use the roads safely and it only takes common sense from everyone :)

Yes you are right. :blush: What I should have said is "they do not pay road tax for there bikes". Don't get me wrong; I have various work colleagues who cycle in to work each day and I know there not all bad but imo the majority of cyclists on the roads are absolute selfish stupid idiots. I've seen cyclists abuse motorists, damage cars and every day I see them riding with; no lights/no helmet/on pavements/riding against the flow of traffic/undertaking/running red lights etc etc. Really what I'd like to see is a test similar to a vehicle driving licence which cyclists would have to pass before being allowed on the roads along with laws making it illegal to ride a bike without; lights, a helmet, high vis jacket or similar, number plates (so they can be traced when running red lights or causing vehicle damage), insurance to pay for accidents/damage caused by them and some sort of tax on them to help foot the bill for cycle lanes etc. But I know this will never happen unfortunately. :dry:

I can only assume you just cut and pasted that straight out of the Daily Mail.

:lol: What can I say to that?!. Touche. :lol::)
  • Like 1

You don't pay "road tax" either.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but people get very confused over the "tax" they pay. There is no such thing as a tax for using the roads, it all comes out of a big pot of money we ALL pay for.

Well that is assuming we all pay tax :)

Its a just a very very poor rant. You could say exactly the same about spending millions of pounds laying pavement to make it safer for those pedestrians who apparently "pay nothing to use the roads", just like car drivers incidentally.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but people get very confused over the "tax" they pay. There is no such thing as a tax for using the roads, it all comes out of a big pot of money we ALL pay for.

Yes you are right. I pay Vehicle Excise duty. Which I understand is a tax on the vehicle and not for using the road.
  • Like 1

Re: the side by side formation. It does say it is allowed I. The Highway Code when safe to do so... Not on a narrow country road on the wing side of the pavement or 3 a breast like Hal the cyclist do round here. As I said I. My first comment everyone seems to get tarred with the same brush I this matter, but that's because it is nearly every cyclist that breaks the rules.

As I said initially, I won't cycle with my dad it brother as they constantly go 3 up next to me round blind corners and I tell at them like I would any other cyclist.

If you want to use the road for pleasure it doesn't give you the right to ignore the rules or not concentrate. When I cycle I do so as I would when driving. Signal correctly, be wary and currious of other road users, and not cruise along next to someone chatting away swinging out into the middle of the road all the time.

It boils down to the fact that most people don't use roads properly while driving, then while cycling they are having a recreational moment so they are even worse.

Yes you are right. I pay Vehicle Excise duty. Which I understand is a tax on the vehicle and not for using the road.

BTW I'm as confused as hell over the various taxes we pay but we need to be careful over how we present them in a debate such as this.

I think the problem is a general degradation in road use, I nearly got chopped up and sprawled over someone's passenger window a couple of weeks back as I was positioning myself in the road to overtake a stationary bus and queue behind the cars waiting to safely pass it when a car decides he wants to get around me and cut in front to queue himself. Now if I'd undercut all the cars that wouldn't have happened........ The gimp just so happened to turn into the office car park behind me and was very sheepish and apologetic.

I think sometimes people don't look beyond the object directly in front or behind them cyclist or motorist.

I can't speak for cycling in major cities as I just wouldn't contemplate it it's nuts as crumb says.

The best comment I can add to this is maybe that we all (motorists / cyclists and pedestrians) need to think more, look more, listen more, anticipate more and perhaps, just perhaps, be a little more patient.

That way, we'll all be a little safer and using the roads will be more of a pleasure.

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 6

Don't even get me started with motorbikes. The amount of riders that wear their c0ck on their head weaving between the traffic, almost falling of their bikes because they've chosen a gap they weren't never going to get through.

It's like the M4, if you hit the section before the flyover in morning rush hour, you kindly move over when in the outside line to the far right to allow them space. Most bikes cruise through at say 30mph whilst the traffic isn't moving. Others seem to think 50+ is acceptable. You may be a good rider, but your brain cells are lacking. All it takes is for one person to change lanes, not expecting a bike to be hurtling down, and then it's a god damn mess on the M4. All because Mr biker isn't paying attention to exactly what "could" happen if it all goes wrong.

Also, bikers that whilst rush is on full flow, the tail end of the M40 to the M25, we're cruising along at 70'ish. When Mr Biker once more thinks the white line is a lane for bikes. Narrowly missing other cars, and to the point again, if one of those cars changes lane they won't be expecting a bike.

I know the saying "Think Bike" I think more like Think tw@t, he'll be along in a minute.

Their riding is appalling in some instances.

The best comment I can add to this is maybe that we all (motorists / cyclists and pedestrians) need to think more, look more, listen more, anticipate more and perhaps, just perhaps, be a little more patient.

That way, we'll all be a little safer and using the roads will be more of a pleasure.

That's the point I have been trying to make, although it has been fluffed with typos (loads in that last post, sorry) and raging.

Most people don't use the roads properly. My work college was shocked the other day when I pulled over in our big van to let a rs Clio past on a B-road. He said he would have never done that, to which I replied, "That's why I'd rather drive than sit in the passenger seat with you behind the wheel. If everyone thought about the big picture a bit more the roads would be a much more pleasant place."

Same goes for cyclists and those damn pedestrians who suddenly stop in the middle if the pavement. Or isle in a supermarket. I swear some people should be banned from walking in crowded areas!

And wasso you couldn't be more right. Nobody buys a bike to ride sensibly. I want one, purely because I can go at stupid speeds for cheep, and that's why I won't get one. Sorry mate I didn't see you, I'm not usually on the lookout for riders dressed all in black going 160!!

Mannnn. I'm having a ranty evening!

I think it's easy to judge motorbikers and cyclists badly but regardless of what your opinion or heart says they are more vulnerable than car driversnand killing another human being is wrong so everyone should drop their emotive responses and remember that we're all put on this planet to live and not get squished.

• Like 2

I hate it when cyclists ride side by side holding up traffic- does my head in!

Had it yesterday, two lycra clad overweight to55ers, riding along side by side for about a mile in a narrow road,

I'm amazed they are still alive, you could see they were deliberately doing it , to make a "stand for cyclists".. :rant: :rant: :rant: