Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

Changed the front two calipers this evening to try and solve my brake feel issue. It's a 20 min job, until you finish packing up and wonder why you've got a spare washer for the brake line floating in the tray you've been catching fluid in... :blush: Wheel off again! :lol:

Not had a chance to test it yet, but am going to be changing the rears at the weekend too. No harm in that, it's a 90k miles car after all and probably due a refresh.

:lol:

Remind me never to ask you for your help if I rebuild an engine. :D:lol:

Changed the front two calipers this evening to try and solve my brake feel issue. It's a 20 min job, until you finish packing up and wonder why you've got a spare washer for the brake line floating in the tray you've been catching fluid in... :blush: Wheel off again! :lol:

Not had a chance to test it yet, but am going to be changing the rears at the weekend too. No harm in that, it's a 90k miles car after all and probably due a refresh.

:lol:

Remind me never to ask you for your help if I rebuild an engine. :D:lol:

Its a standard thing when working on cars, always 1 small part left over after. A man who says otherwise is a liar! ;)

I think you'll be having us under braking at Bedford... while our new car is certainly fast in a straight line, I suspect the many big braking zones at Bedford will cook our still standard brakes quite quickly.

be interesting to see how your MR2 compares to Phils MR2 on track as well.

You'll leave me for dead on the back straight without breaking sweat, but I would be disappointed if I wasn't quicker than you through the corners and definitely under braking. Assuming I get the brakes fixed of course, else I'll be taking the 911 instead.

No comment on driver talent or lack thereof meant, purely on a physics thing :) What MR2 has Phil got again?

I was a passenger in a track prepared Clio last week at Oulton and exactly the same thing happened, despite being much quicker in the corners; maybe people are scared of being overtaken by cute looking cars?! :ninja:

Got a couple of (fast) mates with Clios that do trackdays with us, at least 3 times they have had to let me come past in the Zed then follow on the bumper so the M3/Porsche/whatever in front of them will actually let them through, ridiculous really.

At Anglesey (only place Ive had both cars at the same time) I was braking later in my MR2 than I was in the 350Z, weight > massive discs, expensive pads and braided lines ;)

oh yeah, we'll be slow round the corners and under braking for sure - decent brakes and decent tyres and number 1 and 2 on the list of mods, along with much adding lightness! hopefully the standard M sport suspension will be reasonably competent and wont need changing urgently.

Phils MR2 is identical to yours, although I think hes only changed brake pads and tyres so far.

There was a Uno Turbo at Brands (indy) with us a few weeks ago.

Striped, sat low Compomotives and was pwning all, GTR's the lot.

It appeared as if it was constantly travelling at at the same speed the entire lap :lol: .

I'm really looking forward to seeing your new toy on track, will be very interesting to see how the two cars compare. I'll have to chuck you the keys to mine and see how you get on with it.

I'll be on 888s, so if the weather is dry (if!) taht'll make more difference than anything. It's almost like cheating really :lol:

oh yeah, we'll be slow round the corners and under braking for sure - decent brakes and decent tyres and number 1 and 2 on the list of mods, along with much adding lightness! hopefully the standard M sport suspension will be reasonably competent and wont need changing urgently.

I found the suspension isnt bad but the standard open diff (youve got a 328, right?) was shithouse, and M3 LSD is a worthy purchase but not cheap, I ended up welding mine and it was a lot better ;)

Should be pretty close between the Mr2 and the Bimmer though, looking forward to vids :)

ah no ours is a 330 now, but still with an open diff! yeah putting power down out of tight corners was a challenge... was a case of power down, spin one wheel up, then back off until it regains traction again. I can imagine a welded diff would be awesome for me, but Ken and Will might object to having a car that goes sideways everywhere!

I'm really looking forward to seeing your new toy on track, will be very interesting to see how the two cars compare. I'll have to chuck you the keys to mine and see how you get on with it.

I'll be on 888s, so if the weather is dry (if!) taht'll make more difference than anything. It's almost like cheating really :lol:

Well you're welcome to try the beemer out - we loved the old one, so predictable on the limit, it was great. hoping the new car is more of the same!

Hopefully once we've added as much lightness as we can, sorted the braking and put decent tyres on, it'll be a very formidable track weapon. Still looks like a drug dealers car since its black with black wheels and a dark window tint, but hey ho.

Hopefully once we've added as much lightness as we can, sorted the braking and put decent tyres on, it'll be a very formidable track weapon. Still looks like a drug dealers car since its black with black wheels and a dark window tint, but hey ho.

Is there a build/progress thread for this 328 anywhere ??

It will obviously want to go more sideways with a welder, but the predictably under braking and acceleration outweighed that for me.

Actually, what am I saying, I love going sideways as much as possible so it didnt even come into it :lol:

At least it wasn't on camera, eh Dan? ;):lol:

Ive actually found that the last few days Ive been to havent minded a bit of slidey slidey, TBF after discussions with marshalls it comes down to whether they think you know what youre doing or not. Dont know how I got away with it then ........ :lol:

• Like 1

So, all four calipers now changed (rears were a pig, clevis pin for the handbrake was seized in both sides) and the car... is still not fixed. :(

I still get full brake pressure but only at the end of travel: However, if I pump the brake a couple of times whilst in motion, I get full pressure exactly where it should be. I'm guessing that either the master cylinder (likely) or brake booster (less likely) is shot and needs replacing. Unfortunately I'm now out of time to do this myself, as I'm on holiday from today for a month so I'm going to give it to my local Porker indy to fix whilst I'm away. Probably won't see much change from £500 if I'm lucky, but I've no choice as Bedford is rapidly looming on the horizon.

On the upside, once it's all done then I won't need to worry about the brakes at all for the next 100K miles, apart from discs and pads. :)

Only just seen this thread, going to have a proper look through when I have a bit more time but I've been considering a Mk 3 MR2 for a fun road car and occasional track car, it's that or an EP3 Type R but I think the MR2 might drive more like my old Exige with less power.

No contest, MR2 over any Civic if you want something that handles beautifully and doesn't want to understeer all the time ;)

I've got mine setup now so I can fling it in as quick as I could my old VXR220, it's just massively lacking on power comparatively. With the right setup, it can be made to feel very similar to an Elise-chassis car, just without that fantastic steering. Don't get me wrong, it's great in the MR2, it's just that the Elise is that step better due to no assistance on the rack.

• 2 weeks later...