SSD hard drives

ioneabee

looking to build a new PC before xmas - fairly high spec

and was wondering about these - is it usual to team up say a 60/128gb ssd with a 1tb sata drive

or have just seen a few hybrid drives

thoughts / suggestions please

I've done a fusion drive set up on my iMac, 250gb ssd and 1tb hard drive, works really well, boot up and shut down speeds are quick but not quite as quick as my mac book which is ssd and as Craig said is ridiculously quick. There is an argument to just use the ssd for boot up and most used progs and I think this is quicker but I wanted the ease of 1 drive and the benefit of improved speed.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

I have a 120GB Intel SSD which contains the OS and common programs (Office, PS, FF, TB, etc) and then I have two standard SATA 2TB drives for data, one of which mirrors the other.

Best thing I ever bought, an SSD. I've got a spare one sitting here so that I can use one for editing media rather than using one of the standard drives.

Aye same here, Just use the SSD to run the Operating System and then I have a few other hard drives for other things like Games/Movies/Music etc.

If you install games on the SSD you may notice a faster loading time, never tried it but I've been told by a friend that when loading between maps on BF3, it's so much quicker :)

Yes - Load your Operating system and frequently used programs and games to the SSD.

I can run things like Adobe PS, etc in under a 2 seconds. They work like a flash drive and have an incredibly fast read/write rate. (Depending on the spec)

Novatech or eBuyer.

Edited by Dave-350
  • Like 1

I had a hybrid in my windows 7 laptop and once it "learns" your common taks it does provide a nice boost on big jobs like boot a launching iTunes for instance. Think it was a seagate momentus, performed well. When I sold my laptop, I popped it in my PS3, but with less noticeable gains there where the Blu-Ray drive seems to be the bottle neck. I'm tempted to go full SSD in PS3 for GT6, as the load screens should fly by (providing you've done a full game install).

On my iMac I went for a Vertex 3 512GB and it is ridiculously fast, boots in seconds, all applications (even the big ones) pop up in the blink of an eye. Even with the512GB I still have 2TB for media storage and time machine. Can't ever imagine going back to spindle now, it makes even old hardware feel like new!

• Like 2

I think i'll go for a 128gb one - I usually buy from ebuyer - any one have any particular preferences ?

also - they appear to be laptop size ie 2.5 inch - I take it I'll need a caddy as well ?

I rate my vertex ocz 3, there's probably a version 4 release by now. Go for brands IMHO or have a quick look on a website like PC Pro at their listings/reviews

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/380449/best-ssds-of-2013

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/ssds

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist/solid-state-disk

Always check the dates on any review, 6 months is a long time in IT!

I think i'll go for a 128gb one - I usually buy from ebuyer - any one have any particular preferences ?

also - they appear to be laptop size ie 2.5 inch - I take it I'll need a caddy as well ?

Yes you will need a caddy. Unless your rig caters for 2.5" HDDs :)

Edited by Dave-350

I have a samsung one, but most will all do the same job :) Just check the read and write speed.

Also my HDD just rests in the case :lol:

I have a samsung one, but most will all do the same job :) Just check the read and write speed.

Mine hang out the side lol

• Like 1

I personally would keep away from OCZ they don't have a very good reputation.

However everyone experiences different things. :)

SSDs are great as boot up and system drives. For data I use cloud/NAS/file server combination - which replicates no matter where I save to. :)

Make sure you do some research iLittle, a cheap crappy SATA 2 SSD with poor caching can be little quicker than a decent standard drive.

I have SATA 3 drives in my iMac & PC, not just boot times as I leave them on mostly, but if you have programs you use a lot installed or like me my whole itunes collection it makes accessing them wirelessly super fast B)

Sent from the golf club...

Mine hang out the side lol

Whats a case :lol:

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

Definitely the way to go. Make sure you go for a good brand with good read and write speeds.

As has already been said make sure you back up your data. When they go wrong that is it.

Backup your data whether you use SSD, spindle HDD, 3.5" floppy disks, tapes or punch cards for storage! :)