diy rear mount

andybp

Turbo speed sensor? Or is that a pain to fit? (clueless about them). Other wise engine oil pressure should be fine.

speed sensor would be cool to have but wont really tell me how much oil I need to scavenge I think oil feed pressure based control is going to be the best bet :)

So all of the oil pipework is now fitted I've decided to try to control the scavenge pump based on the engine oil pressure obviously when the oil is cold the pump will be running faster than necessary but nothings perfect (well except me )

I've made a new scavenge pump controller basically a Darlington driver driven from a PWM signal from an Arduino NANO which will be looking at the engine oil pressure and controlling pump speed based on my dodgy maths

to keep the wiring simple the driver is going to be next to the pump so this

IMG_20160927_181150_zpsn2esl1oo.jpg

is now sealed in potting compound which when it's cured should protect it from the elements

IMG_20160928_180650_zpsdtqawiws.jpg

yea I know it looks like a mess right now but it'll look fine when it's done hopefully when i get home tomorrow

:)

95% finished just need to set the Wastegates and adjust the scavenge pump controller as it's running too slow on idle except when cold and it runs at 100% due to the viscosity so I may add a temperature sensor to offset this, also the valve in the silencer is not connected electrically yet it's just wide open will get a couple of hours to play tomorrow morning while the missus has her piano lesson then I need to finish the conservatory roof before I play anymore or the missus will beat me :blush:

• Like 1

Awesome thread bud

You only joined yesterday did you read it all ?

That would take a while :wacko:

I looked at all the important bits/looked through all the pics lol.No it's some great Diy skills bud.Have you redirected the exhaust gas flow to the turbo first fan in some way.

• Like 1

Had a few annoying problems with the latest version of my rear mount setup the BOV wasn't opening causing compressor surge sounded cool the first couple of times but became embarrassing and annoying very quickly

there were metal filings between the piston and the bore of the BOV

IMG_20161004_173007_zpsc1n2ff0e.jpg

my own fault must have been while it was sitting in my garage during the rebuild I should of covered it :blush: it was too loud anyway

Luckily I had one laying around I believe off a skyline

IMG_20161004_173013_zpsu3v87ege.jpg

IMG_20161004_173019_zpsvx69xuap.jpg

So I made an adapter up from some ally plate

IMG_20161004_173036_zpsxnqv3b9s.jpg

And we're back in business

IMG_20161004_180225_zpsdkpt86gl.jpg

The new compressor I went for on this turbo is excellent feels less restrictive at lower revs and makes more boost than I know what to do with

• Like 1

Awesome thread bud

You only joined yesterday did you read it all ?

That would take a while :wacko:

I looked at all the important bits/looked through all the pics lol.No it's some great Diy skills bud.Have you redirected the exhaust gas flow to the turbo first fan in some way.

I made a quick spool setup on the first version using a wastegate to control the gas flow but the turbo sizing was way off on the third turbo now it's like Goldilocks and the three bears but Andy and the three turbo's

the first one was too big, the second one was too small the third one was just right :)

• Like 1

I was still having a few issues with the BOV looks like the small vacuum hose connecting it to the intake was collapsing under vacuum have now changed it for a thicker walled pipe all okay now, still a few rattles from some of the new pipework also need to sort out a usable all weather air filter setup as I wouldn't want to drive through any deep puddles so will have a play tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

So the setups been up and running for a couple of months now had a few issues with the scavenge pump not keeping up at high engine revs after fitting a 2mm restrictor in the oil feed and a small ally sump on the turbo drain that was all sorted it made 5psi from 2500 rpm up to the redline Achieved everything I set out to do but now I'm bored :blush:

I did it , it works it wasn't about the power I can't use it around here anyway I just like a challenge.

So it's all coming back off and going back to an N/A setup (maybe DIY individual throttle bodys :teeth: ) some people may think i'm mad but why pay the extra insurance on something i'm not using I've had great fun doing it but it's time to put this project to bed :)

Thanks to everyone for their interest in this project and putting up with my ramblings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally understandable Andy, ....nah I'm kidding, you're bonkers really. :wacko::lol:;)

Seriously though I do kind of understand where you're coming from as I do get a lot of satisfaction from making things myself often with the end product/kit/part etc not being as fun as the fun I had along the way making it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just spent the last 4 hours reading these 24 pages.. to find no dyno run or finished photos!

its like waving sweets infront of a child and eating it yourself.

amazing work and great fab skills and know how!

love the commitment even when your car takes you for a walk!!

just spent the last 4 hours reading these 24 pages.. to find no dyno run or finished photos!

its like waving sweets in front of a child and eating it yourself.

This is pretty much the finished setup minus the small ally sump for the turbo drain

20160828_182011_HDR_zpsf50n7a7b.jpg

I would have taken a few final photos for you but it's all removed now just a turbo an intercooler and a big pile of pipework in the corner of my garage not sure what I'm going to do with it all yet it has to go it's in the way.

so the Z now has a dual hks type exhaust,high flow cats,phenolic inlet spacer and the fuel return system and I'm still using the utec ecu so pretty stock for me until I start the individual throttle body setup when the weather improves.

its like waving sweets in front of a child and eating it yourself.

This is pretty much the finished setup minus the small ally sump for the turbo drain

20160828_182011_HDR_zpsf50n7a7b.jpg

I would have taken a few final photos for you but it's all removed now just a turbo an intercooler and a big pile of pipework in the corner of my garage not sure what I'm going to do with it all yet it has to go it's in the way.

so the Z now has a dual hks type exhaust,high flow cats,phenolic inlet spacer and the fuel return system and I'm still using the utec ecu so pretty stock for me until I start the individual throttle body setup when the weather improves.

Work a price out and let me know pretty please lol.

such impressive work!

loved all the electronic magic!!

looks great too. shame your not a fan! im sure someone will snap it up for £5k ;) half price turbo kit right there

if i sell it will be as a load of pipework+ miscellaneous bits a turbo and an intercooler maybe even an ecu as i have a spare not as a ready to go turbo kit some of the welding especially the ally is crap but if i do it will be to someone with sufficient skills to install and fabricate the mounts for the intercooler etc and if i do it will be a few hundred not thousand to a good home.

Edited by andybp
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Diggerman said:

I'd be more than interested in buying it off you if you do sell, I was about to book mine into a local garage for a rear mount after I watched countless videos on YouTube of the std kit which just sounds evil :)

All gone sorry, another member on here is playing with it :)

Dam I thought it would be a slim chance of you still having it :)

one question I do have though is the oil scavenge side of things, would I be right in thinking that a feed from a sandwich plate and then a 1mm restrictor into the turbo would be enough and then run the scavenge pump straight to sump? Possibly via a small sump

7 minutes ago, Diggerman said:

Dam I thought it would be a slim chance of you still having it :)

one question I do have though is the oil scavenge side of things, would I be right in thinking that a feed from a sandwich plate and then a 1mm restrictor into the turbo would be enough and then run the scavenge pump straight to sump? Possibly via a small sump

yes but bear in mind the scavenge pumps are the weak point in these setups and have a tendency to fail the final setup I did before I removed mine controlled the pump speed based on the oil pressure feeding the turbo most people just run them full speed :)