diy rear mount

andybp

Good progress, and project.

I was contemplating this the other day, and something like this would appeal to me, but, rather than a kit that offered +400bhp, a basic kit that was easily DIY'able and used much of the original exhaust system, didn't require engine modifications (including drivetrain) and offered a similar performance gain to some of the basic supercharger kits (so perhaps ~380 bhp / 350lb/ft) but very responsive

In my mind I had:

It would use a smaller turbo unit, with a smaller A/R (something like GT3017R with a 0.63A/R) for improved low end response

Use the majority standard 2.5" Y-pipe / mid-pipe, but with decats / HFC's to improve flow but maintain exhaust gas pressure / speed

A remote oil system and small oil cooler - Lower operating temperatures of remote mount should be ok

Enclosed air filter (some thing like a BMC type)

Non-intercooled - the offset of not having the pressure loss associated with an intercooler would mean it could run lower (cooler) boost pressure. Insulating the boost pipework may or may not be a good idea depending on the amount if natural cooling from underbody air flow, but potentially radiated heat from the exhaust / engine / drivetrain..

My understanding is the key to decent response with remote-mounted turbo's is the relationship between pipework (exhaust and boost) and the respective turbo unit. You don't want to go too large diameter which has the effect reducing gas pressure and deceasing response.

Somebody tell me if I've went wrong somewhere..

Edited by Rosssco
  • Like 1

this is similar to my thoughts before starting this project i've already put in the high flow cats but i think your exhaust sizing is a little offf I think a turbo that size will be a restriction which is why i went with a larger turbo with a quick spool setup to try to reduce lag

dont lag the boost pipework it shouldnt be close enough to the exhaust to worry about and as long as you fit an intercooler with a high enough flow rate the charge cooling benefits outweigh any pressure drop across it

as for the stand alone oil system its far more troublesome than it seems if you can get a pump matched to the flow and pressure requirments of the turbo it might not be too bad a ball bearing turbo will definatley be easier than a journal bearing

but the off the shelf pumps are too big even with a speed controller and pressure regulator i couldn't get it to work reliably i'll probably give it another try just not right now

as for the exhaust size i think the standard centre pipe is 60mm which is probably a restriction on a standard z at 380 bhp it's definately restrictive

just got a new pressure gauge as the only gauge i had was from my nitros mr2 and started at 100 psi not much use when i'm only going to boost to 7-8 psi

have tested my wastegates and the standard wastegate starts to open at 7 psi as i hoped

the second wastegate that i'm using for the quick spool setup starts to open at 3 psi

so to the point of my rambling does anyone have any experiance with quick spool setups where should i start to open the valve ?

if i open it too early will it cause the boost to drop off again i get the feeling it's going to be trial and error

Any thoughts ?

ok first off been working all week just got home to find my turbowerx pump had arrived had to rush straight out into the garage to play so please forgive the quick and dirty setup

IMAG0242_zps9522c2b2.jpg

i was having trouble with the previous pump maintaining a steady pressure the exact same setup using the turbowerx pump is working a treat making 35-40psi just ticking over

IMAG0247_zps259eb173.jpg

i also have an oil cooler to go into this setup though i need to get an oilstat should get a chance to play later this week if the missus lets me (yes i'm under the thumb)

also might make a new tank (again) something with a lower profile with some baffles in it maybe in ally if my spool gun shows up

no replies to my previous post i see, was hoping someone might have used a quick spool valve an have some insight never mind trial and error it is

Edited by andybp
  • Like 3

Since the stand alone oil system seems to be working with the new pump i decided to make the oil tank today didn't quite get it finished as i ran out of gas (another £60)

I'm making it out of 75mm box section sloping down from the inlet where the drain from the turbo will go to a small perforated baffle at the bottom of the slope to stop the oil surging back (hopefully)

IMAG0274_zps27e9f996.jpg

IMAG0278_BURST001_zpsd5d8e2cd.jpg

IMAG0280_zps1203b8d8.jpg

IMAG0283_zpsee2732fb.jpg

this is the other end where the outlet will be

IMAG0287_zpsdef7051a.jpg

this is the inlet end again hole cut waiting for the weld on an fittings i'll be using

IMAG0290_zps0e4af6f0.jpg

these are the weld on an bungs 3 x an10 and 1 x an6 the an6 is the oil return from the pressure relief valve

IMAG0289_zpsf0f6d9f8.jpg

inlet an10 welded on

IMAG0292_zpsd330704a.jpg

outlet with my earth clamp still on it and oil filler on side

IMAG0293_zpsd2e86d28.jpg

and this is where i ran out of gas

got most of the stand alone oil system sorted this afternoon

IMAG0302_zps460817d4.jpg

IMAG0303_zps1b508909.jpg

IMAG0295_zps02ff9809.jpg

the oil cooler is roughly where it will be i'll find out tomorrow if the weather's good i'll get the back box off the car and take some measurements then i can make some hoses up and run the system up

the hose from the pump to the pressure regulator is a temp as i'm waiting for some fittings

Edited by andybp
  • Like 2

Nice work on the oil circuit. Is this going in the spare wheel well or under the car? Was there not an off the shelf tank suitable (maybe you answered that above, sorry)

it's going under the car

IMAG0310_zpsa1a311d0.jpg

IMAG0311_zps214914a1.jpg

there were tanks available but not with all the connections i wanted

still waiting for a couple of connectors to finish the setup and i still need to get gas for the welder will hopefully get something done on friday

tied the setup into the other exhaust mounting today

IMAG0330_zps46e0ea36.jpg

put the sight glass in for the oil level

IMAG0323_zps7f77b107.jpg

got all the oil system sorted other than the oil cooler as i'm waiting for an an10 fitting

IMAG0321_zpsb3f9bedb.jpg

ran it up bypassing the oill cooler sounds quieter than it does with the back box on also much more definate burble

just got to sort out the charge pipework and fit the intercooler or aftercooler(depending on your age)

cant remember if you have said already as it was a while ago i read the rest of the thread but what are you doing for an air filter? are you making a custom airbox to protect it from the water and dirt?

I was going to but space is rapidly becoming an issue might just put a cone filter straight on the turbo and see how it holds up i was going to hide as much of the oil tank/pump etc as possible with an ally tray which would shield the filter from direct spray anyway

cool. i suppose at least if the turbo shits itself it wont be taking the engine oil out of the engine. its a safe but cheap(ish) build. also if you decide that you want something bigger on there its not that a big job to swap it. the twin turbo kits would be a nightmare to swap a duff turbo

yea if i'm not happy with the turbo there are other options holsett hx35 ,to4e-60 as i said at the start i'm just playing the z's just a toy as long as i dont kill another engine (that was painfull) i'm not worried