diy rear mount

andybp

does anyone have a rearmount turbo setup on a z there seems to be a lot of talk and people slating this setup but not from anyone with actual experiance of one

yes i know its laggy but most of my driving is around town 30mph limits and when it's not i rev the s##t out of it

i'm going to start my own rearmount soon a little winter project so if anyone has any actual experiance of this or tips i'm all ears

Already got the turbo twin scroll gt35 gonna make a quick spool setup for it

and i know it goes against public opinion but i'm seriously considering a dedicated oil system with a cooler really dont like the idea of running the oil feed all the

to the way back

was gonna run the oil pump through a speed controller fed from a pressure sensor to give me control of the oil pressure should extend the life of the pump as well

Kudos to you fit trying this. Should not be too hard to copy what has been done by STS in the states if you have fabbing skills but trying to make it complicated with a dedicated oil system maybe a mistake as goes the adage " don't fix it if .....,........:) A good HD scavenge oil pump and good drainage setup will take care of business.

My preferred option would be to go with the boosted performance mid mounted turbo kit which has clear advantages over the rear mount. The guy is amazing with Fabbing and specced some very good parts to his builds. I would have gone with his system instead of sc but for the issues if fitting as it has been developed on RHD cars.

The issue about lag with the rear mount is not as bad as usually thought on paper. The reviews are very favourable.

Go to my 350z.com and read in both systems which will put you in good stead.

Good luck.

yea i dont disagree about the oil system if it aint broke dont fix it but it wasn't designed to be run to the rear of the car and back again

and looking at the scuffs under mine from all the huge speed bumps around here i'd be paranoid about it worst case is i try a dedicated system and it kills the turbo

it was a cheap chinese knock off and i'm doing this for fun so i'll give it a go any way

i do 1000 miles a year its a toy so i quite literally dont care how long it lasts i'm just having fun.

This is how life should be!! Just having fun :) a lot of sbody's run those Chinese turbos and have them for years no problem... Some people need to be more open minded

for the record guys i do have some experiance in this sort of thing diy turbo capri,x19 and golf gti ,v8 into capri,bmw and ,nitrous mr2 gt turbo so as much as i'm making it up as i go along

and a z newbie i have some idea what i'm doing. i've had my z for 2 years had 3 differant exhausts on it ,decats,silenced decats and now sports cats and recently changed the engine(dont want to do that again)

that said i dont know it all far from it (dont tell my son i said that) so any comments or suggestions are much appreciated

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

always the way

anything i want to buy thats too heavy/big to post always the other end of the country

when i had my mr2 i was talking to a guy on one of the forums we were both doing nitros on our mr2's except he had the camry v6 he says come have a look turns out he's in scotland

like i said always the way

Edited by andybp

Good luck with the build, I`ll be watching closely & intrigued as to how it will pan out. Not to far away near gillingham, kent. I`ve done a fair few SC builds on 350`s & Mx5`s, If you ever want a hand with spanners let me know, always willing to lend a hand or help with ideas

• Like 1

hey guy's has anyone technical knowledge on turbo's i'm trying to reduce the load on the electric oil pump i'll be using for this project

what i want to know is can i reduce the oil pressure to the turbo as the load/boost drops off the reason i want to do this is the oil pumps

seem to be a weakness in rearmount applications

Reducing oil pressure is probably the worst thing you can do. You may be reducing boost on the turbo but the temp will not drop that quickly, and you will want the cooling properties of the oil as much as the lubrication.

Bigger oil pump is the way forward.

• 2 weeks later...