To Spacer or not to Spacer - That is the question -370Z

K370Z2

Just ordered My Eibach Pro springs & sway bar kit from Tarmac (appreciation thread & build thread to come) & still deliberating on if i should get some spacers to finish the job. If i do get spacers should i get 20mm or 25mm all round but definitely do not want any rubbing or any chance of rubbing. So if you done a build something similar to my new set up what spacers have you done.

You will need spacers otherwise the wheels will not look good in terms of how they sit in the arches. I went for 25mm spacers all round to start with but had a little too much 'poke' at the rear so then changed just the rears to 20mm. I had no rubbing on the rear but did have rubbing on the fronts but only when suspension is under load. Some will say 25mm all round but for me 25mm front and 20mm rear is perfect.

Cheers,

Scotty

I went for 25mm front & 20mm rear after i lowered mine on the Eibach Pro Kit. One of the few mods i've done that i've been happy with from day 1.

You are more likely to get rubbing under the car & front lip due to the 30mm drop the pro kit gives rather than rubbing under the arches.

With careful driving over low speed bumps & knowing your cars limitations you'll be just fine.

Thanks for the replies so far much appreciated. It looks like a defo Yes to getting spacers. Now its whether to go 25mm all round or 25mm on front & 20mm on rear as some different opinions on whats best. Rubbing or damaging the zed is my biggest concern. I kinda new i would order the springs then have a rite head storm if i should of bought the spacers as well and i dont want to get the geo done twice. I could be spending that money on other mods Ha

Make sure you get an alignment straight away or you will eat tyres and it will handle like a bus.

Hmmmmmm, I've been told by a number of suspension technicians from big dealers that spacers won't affect your geo at all.

I struggle to see how that will be case to be honest but they insist.

Make sure you get an alignment straight away or you will eat tyres and it will handle like a bus.

Hmmmmmm, I've been told by a number of suspension technicians from big dealers that spacers won't affect your geo at all.

I struggle to see how that will be case to be honest but they insist.

If your camber and toe is a tiny bit out before you got spacers it will be multiplied once spacers are on.

I put 25mm spacers on the rear and 15mm on the front and I was running over 4.5 degrees of camber which is mental. Stock camber is around 1 - 1.6 I believe

Edited by BillyZed

I went for 25mm front & 20mm rear after i lowered mine on the Eibach Pro Kit. One of the few mods i've done that i've been happy with from day 1.

You are more likely to get rubbing under the car & front lip due to the 30mm drop the pro kit gives rather than rubbing under the arches.

With careful driving over low speed bumps & knowing your cars limitations you'll be just fine.

Mark, I thought yours had rubbed on the the front wheel arch liner (sticky out bit) like mine and that you had done a fix for it?

So just to clarify - the front wheel arch liner has some protruding bits to it near where it meets the edge of the wing. Whenever the suspension is under load say for example going fast over a dip I can hear the tyre just brush the bump on the wheel arch liner and when I look at this protruding bit of the liner I can see the rub marks. I thought it may just be my Swift Springs but was pretty sure marconorth had the same issue and he is running with the Eibachs.

Mark, I thought yours had rubbed on the the front wheel arch liner (sticky out bit) like mine and that you had done a fix for it?

So just to clarify - the front wheel arch liner has some protruding bits to it near where it meets the edge of the wing. Whenever the suspension is under load say for example going fast over a dip I can hear the tyre just brush the bump on the wheel arch liner and when I look at this protruding bit of the liner I can see the rub marks. I thought it may just be my Swift Springs but was pretty sure marconorth had the same issue and he is running with the Eibachs.

Yes Scotty you are right of course!

I did initially have that small issue with rubbing on the protruding bits (where wing joins to bumper panel) but it was so minor that i'd actually forgotten about it.

My fix was basically to cut away the protruding plastic mouldings slightly on each side (i removed a piece of plastic no more than 1" x 1/2" using a Stanley knife) then pull down the edge of the arch liner, clean & reaseal the top side of the liner with a good black insulation tape.

I have never heard any rubbing since & miraculously the insulation tape has stayed in place too :)

i see you...

nope - 25mm all round, nowhere near the arches

P1060838_zps5a2e7c69.jpg

P1060846_zps0e46b9a0.jpg

i see you...

B)

In the second photo you can see the tyre poking beyond the wheel arch at the top - which is what I had. I lived with it for months but it bugged me so much that I changed to 20mm on the rear and was really glad I made the change - it just tucks that tyre in a little bit more. It's all of course a matter of opinion though. I'll try and get some photos up at the weekend.

Thanks for the photos gives me a better idea looking at,would be interested in seeing scottyZ if you can up load them up. Passed a big convoy of golf gti's today and seen the poke that was mentioned earlier in this tread, must admit the tucked in look was more pleasing to my eye & really dont want to start rolling my arches. Just Woundering apart from the rubbing on the front arch mentioned has anybody has any wheel arch/tyre bashing issue if so what size spacers were you running.

Here you go:

IMG_2154.jpg

20mm spacer on the rear.

Looks just right to my eyes. I've been dithering over spacers for a long while. I had my alignment done after new tyres recently. Would I need to get it done again if I put spacers on?

Yes. I managed to get back to within factory tolerances bar one wheel and that is only just out. You can buy camber kits that will get you back to spot-on alignment but it's extra expense and to be honest my tyre wear whilst not perfect is pretty even.