Android app works with BT and JDM

rodgeevans

After ages waiting for torque to work with my jdm car I have found an android app that works called car guage it doesn't have all the same features the same features that torquel has but it works and also the pro version shows code engine codes and allows you to clear them the pro version cost 4 pound

I have a 2003 japanese import and 1 of the ebay 15 pound bluetooth OBD adaptors

Screenshot_2013-09-21-22-05-03_zps9cc3e6e3.png

Edited by rodgeevans
  • Like 3

Cheers, Yeah theres a free version but lots of the features are locked down and didnt seem as stable.

I just downloaded all the free ones i could find and this one worked you have to select nissan > ecm gasoline > ecu adress 10 on the connection and it should connect

I started looking as i had given up on torque ever working and thought if i couldnt find anything i would buy something like a data scan but came across that yesterday before a ebay shopping trip occurred

Yeah sure does give us JDM owners more options

Edited by rodgeevans

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a few similar apps via my Pioneer Appradio so for a few quid happy to take a punt see if it will work as also have a galaxy tab kicking around I can revert to

One very noob question - where do you plug in the OBD reader ? and is it designed so its plugged in and left or just do the diagnostics and remove ?

OK sussed where it is also ordered a wifi version (iphone) as they are both cheap so will see how I go then post up findings on my AppRadio thread

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

There is a reason why this will work with some JDM'S not not others.

Mine is 2003 import says 2002 on books?

We can see that Mudman has Uprevved, I think this changes the way the ecu talks to the device. or they swapped ecu from the original JDM ECU.

There is some information about Nissan Consult.

"In Japan this standard is not mandatory. So RHD cars produced for the Japanese market in the majority do not support the OBDII standard. If the Japanese make a car for the US/EU/Chinees market, they add support of OBDII standard."

OBD2 plugs are fitted on European cars as they have to confirm to European legislation and all use the same obd2/3/4 software, but as Japan aren't in Europe they don't have to conform , so although they fitted obd sockets they do not run obd2/3/4 software.

Calling the 16pin socket an OBD II socket is technically wrong and causes confusion but alas that's what its called,

OBD II is another protocol,

you may as well talk French to your Nissan ECU as it understands French as much as it does OBD II, you need to talk to it in Consult.

• 1 year later...

Hello , been trying multiple WiFi, by OBD2 readers and finally got them to work on 350z JDM . Tried these expensive ones Obdlink LX, MX and cheap Amazon ones . Verdict : all work with different apps .

Obdlink LX, MX scanner works with Car gauge Pro and Motor Data  only.( Checked lots of different apps and these 2 apps successfuly established connection with ECU  , while OEM app didn't find protocol and manually changed to right one didn't work.

Cheap Amazon scanners do exactly the same job . 

Car Garage Pro - after installation tick Japan OBD and connect / Nissan/ECM Gasoline / engine 10. 

This should establish connection between ECU and scanner.

MotorData - first thing after installation you need to create profile for nissan z33 ( it's free for testing, after successful connection you have to buy plugin for £4.99) and you ready to connect , app will automatically find right protocol. 

Both apps have all you need . Car Gauge Pro fast live readings and MotorData great for diagnosis , let's you fully understand codes and all warning light etc . Thanks.

IMG20180826132829.jpg

IMG20180826132239.jpg

IMG20180826132209.jpg

• 4 years later...

Torque works on JDM  JUST DONE IT.  First attempt too . Now have to work out how to get Torque app on my head unit. NEW install not worked her out yet. Torque app came FREE with OBD transmitter. BUT HELL COULD I DOWNLOAD IT from their CD ?  Had to buy Torque app. DAM I HATE GOOGLE ! Allways have. 

Edited by Laurence C

54 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Interesting, I'll have a look later , maybe they have changed something it Torque app since my last testings. Thanks for information 

Make certain you select ISO 9141-2 MANUALLY in vehicles profile. Do not let it detect protocol automaticly

Definitly JDM car and ECU The protocol ISO 9141-2  entered in Torque SPECIFICLY.  Not auto detect In car details. OBD Bluetooth device is Vgate iCar2 ELM327 V2.1  Tho I will be changing this as it does not auto switch on. Off it does On no. For mobile phone usage that is fine as a head unit app it is NOT GOOD ENOUGH do not want one running constantly either. The bit more costy  Vgate iCar Pro BT4.0   does auto switch on and off.  I have one winging its way here now, as I want Torque to opperate in car live on the fly from JUST a touch on the head unit .(Live in car diagnostics). Vehicle profile on the head unit will be exclusive to my car meaning just select mode I want so no faffing about. On my phone I may well have other car profiles. Nothing special about the settings just normal pairing and specify the protocol.  Did have to reboot the phone tho. ( Nearly forgot to add that. )  Actually surprised Torque is working myself from what I have read. Was kinda suspecting / EXPECTING to have to use a different app. But NOPE !   Torque works. FINE BY ME !  BTW  What year is your car ?  All JDM cars 2006 and newer require a paid for permision ( probabaly temporary too ) Mine is 2005 so okay.

ANOTHER EDIT    Just had a look at the Torque app not connected. See one the available plug in's racing telemetry NO CHANCE !  Do not want to make my own car able to testify against me IN GREAT DETAIL in court. That was a real consern in my old car 1970 Triumph Gt6 retro fitted programmable ECU which data logged. Only 3 miniuets but in a SERIOUS event enough info to prosecute.

Funny side note.  Arseing about with Torque on live connection yesterday. I looked up fault codes It came up with a WARNING of a specific code  number impending.  Auto transmission ECU fault on CHRYSLER JEEP !  Mine not even automatic NEVER MIND A JEEP !

Edited by Laurence C
Author is a spelling retard ( Dyslexic )
  • Like 1