Bilstein B6 dampers. Any experience?

ewanbcfc

But some people can tell you that coilovers are very nearly as compliant as shocks and springs but considerably better dynamically because he has tried them on the same car ;)

Likewise, if the same person had run 8 different sets of coilovers + 3 or 4 springs and shocks combinations on his last car he might have a fair idea of what he was talking about. Someone suggesting running correct offsets rather than spacers (good advice but not really relevant here) or that £1500 coilovers "arent good enough" (they are, trust me) might not.

Im not saying I the worlds leading expert on suspension but Ive had a lot more experience than most, and some of whats on this thread just isnt accurate.

• Like 1

Simply put - HSD coilovers are very nearly as compliant as shocks and springs but make the car a lot stiffer and better for feedback. Ive no doubt that BC's and the other popular varieites are the same, technology has come on a lot recently.

Long answer (from another thread):

I didnt want to come across as an expert, because Im not, but on my last car I ran 5 different types of coilies*, 2 sets of springs and shocks, 5 different ARB combinations, 4 diffs, literally innumerate tyres running every variation or pressures, 4 or 5 different alignment settings and used it for commuting to work and back, trackdays and drifting in anything up to 4th gear.

You want to know the performances differences between HKS Hipermax and Tein Flex coilovers? No problem. You want to know whether a 1.5 way or 2 way diff would suit your driving style? Easy. Tell you about the difference driving a 200SX on 12/10, 10/8, 8/6, 6/4 spring rates? Ive done it. Drifting on the same? Probably the same answer.

You arent going to know who to listen to and who not to pay so much attention to, all Im trying to do is give the benefit of the experience that Ive had (how much do you think I spent on suspension before finding the right one?!) as a balance to other advice that may be valid but is not founded in as much experience.

Apologies if that comes across as supercilious, its not meant to :o

* Christ only knows how many Ive driven on 200SX's but a lot. :lol:

• Like 1

But yeah, he really does know his onions. I'd listen to the man, whilst it's only one opinion it's a very knowledgeable one. :thumbs:

I'm certainly 'all ears' (or eyes in this case), and for me I don't want the pain of setting up coilovers at the moment, so this certainly isnt a VS thread. I'm only interested in doing a few mild things to my car in order to enjoy the use I have for it, which is largely just some b-road fun. On the chassis side of things, some poly bushes, springs, shocks and if needed arb's.

The last time I had coilovers it started going down a rabbit hole of change this, change that - etc etc (more so than the above :teeth:)

As another friend has said, 'there are no trophies for track days', nor in this case having a bit of fun down a b-road.

• Like 1

Each to his own, all I was saying is not to write off coilovers as being crashy when the game has moved on a lot even in the last 5 years. As for setting up, we put mine on 2 years ago and I changed the damping on the first trackday, not touched them since :)

Sorry guys, I've been overseas a lot and not really driven the car properly with the B6's installed. Put a few thousand miles on it in the last weeks, so here's my update at last:

My general impression of the B6's is that if Nissan had offered a 'Sport Suspension' over the standard setup, this is how it would feel. I'm pleased with the setup, it is noticeably firmer than standard in terms of pitch/dive under acceleration and stability under braking, as well as direction changes. The occasional slightly underdamped sensation at the rear over rolling undulations at speed does remain, but it's much better than standard. I only notice it on bad backroads now, rather than on the motorway like before. Also, the most noticeable thing for me, even at around 30mph, was the response to the steering. With the standard suspension, you can feel a small amount of compression in the suspension before the car changes direction. With the B6's, this is gone at normal road speeds, the car just moves as soon as you turn the wheel. Makes the car feel lighter on its feet. Perhaps the same amount of body roll still occurs (I think that's the how it works, in theory), but the speed with which is rolls is reduced, so the sensation is much less noticeable.

The downsides to all this is, of course, that the ride is stiffer. Around town potholes and sunken drain covers are a bit more annoying. Difficult to quantify how much more than standard. For me, it's entirely acceptable, but if you never left town centres, I'm sure it would get wearing. But then, if you never left town centres, you probably wouldn't be in the market for uprated dampers.

Part of this increased stiffness at the rear shows itself in small lateral 'hops' over bumps. And not just in corners, but going over, say, a stone on the motorway, the rear end will feel like it hops an inch to one side. This has never caused a skid or triggered the stability, but I feel it should be mentioned as I don't remember it before the change. Certainly makes the car feel more focussed.

I can only compare this setup (standard springs and B6 dampers) with standard springs and dampers, I haven't been in a 350Z with coilovers or any other setup.

Overall I'm certainly pleased with the change, and I'm glad I didn't go for anything stiffer. Haven't taken the car on track yet, so can't comment on that side of things.

I don't come onto the forum regularly, so if anyone has any questions or wants to go for a ride, just drop me a PM.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned, I said I'd come back and post here as I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't want to go down the route of coilovers & all of the other potential parts (I've done it before :lol:).

This is purely just a preliminary quick blurt of thoughts as I've not had a chance to go for a 'proper' drive.

So I installed them Thur/Sat, so my set up at this moment is:

Bilstein B6 shocks

Tein S springs

Standard sway bar (with poly bushings)

MPSS Tyres

(this week will see other poly bushings fitted by Sly and a very much required alignment !)

So once the old shocks were off, I compressed them to see how long it would take for the piston rod to extend - the front ones took probably 15+ mins hah, the rears probably about 1-2 mins. So obviously they were for the bin anyway about 20k miles ago I think.

I've not had a real chance to push them as of yet, so I can only comment right this moment on initial impressions of typical daily driving. Which was driving from Surrey back into London.

The ride now rebounds far quicker, so it feels harder but the actual sensation from this is more rounded, it's not harsh at all and certainly gives you a more confident feel.

I've noticed that the tyres remain in contact far better than before, as a couple of joins on a bridge near here would slightly unsettle the car, it doesn't at all now.

So far, so good and I can only echo what the other guys have said.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to stick another update on here for Bilstein B6 with standard springs/ARB/everything else in the suspension.

I drove across one of my 'regular' fast bumpy roads over the mendips the other day. This was one of the roads that convinced me the stock suspensions was not up to scratch. The car used to bounce around all over the place and it really felt like a battle keeping it on the road. With the Bilsteins on, it was transformed. The car stayed nice and level and well controlled, almost as if the road had been re-laid. This is what I was looking for from the change: better damping and body control over bumpy country roads.

It was a good thing I had this drive as I was starting to wonder if the new ride stiffness around town was a little too much. Overall, I am still pleased with the change, but would recommend anyone considering it to try and get a ride in a car with them fitted. I certainly wouldn't want any more ride stiffness for the amount of road driving I do.

• Like 2

Yep, I agree at low speeds it can feel a little harder but otherwise these are a must (imho) if wanting standard ride heigh, slightly lower with Tein S or far lower with the B8's and matched springs.

I'm very pleased, just the ARB's to fit now :thumbs:

• 4 years later...
On 20/01/2015 at 14:08, docwra said:

Ive said many times that the HSD's Ive got on my 350 are up with anything Ive ever used and I think offer better ride than standard, never mind the handling.

For me, when the HSD's (and BC's and probably some others) are as good as they are, are compliant over the bumps and make the car much stiffer and more communicative its a no brainer.

Which HSD's are those @docwra

On 16/02/2015 at 22:47, RobPhoboS said:

my set up at this moment is:

Bilstein B6 shocks

Tein S springs

Standard sway bar (with poly bushings)

MPSS Tyres

I'm contemplating a similar setup as this @RobPhoboS

I'm sold on the Tein S springs as limited drop, previous 350z with these handled much better than my current one (that also has twice the miles and not wearing MPSS, so not a great comparison but feels more unstable, will be doing tyres asap, may be try the GYSS ;) 

Other options to B6 seem to be Tokico, KYB or even Tein EnduraPro (which are also excellent value)  

Did you stick with this setup or did you fit some ARBs / coilovers later on? 

Hey there.

Oh it's changed a lot since then, it's more track focused now so I went a different route.

They were good for the road.

I guess it depends on your budget. You might be able to get some coilovers that'll offer a but more choice in ride comfort. 

As I've no idea what price they would be now.

On 26/01/2020 at 18:12, Oversteer said:

Which HSD's are those @docwra

Dualtechs, it was a while ago but when  I came to sell the car on it handled so well the guy couldnt believe it hadnt had anything else done to it :lol:

Ive got Meister GT1 on my current car and Im pretty blown away with them for the money but would probably still stick HSDs on a Z33 if I ever got another one. 

4 hours ago, docwra said:

Dualtechs, it was a while ago but when  I came to sell the car on it handled so well the guy couldnt believe it hadnt had anything else done to it :lol:

Ive got Meister GT1 on my current car and Im pretty blown away with them for the money but would probably still stick HSDs on a Z33 if I ever got another one. 

I'm about to pull the trigger on those, good coilovers and dw have good service. Good to see you on here Doc thought there would be more sxoc people knocking around

20 hours ago, Eddie_r32 said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on those, good coilovers and dw have good service. Good to see you on here Doc thought there would be more sxoc people knocking around

Likewise, its surprising more didnt move onto the 350Z after the 200 - cant say the same for BMW's or MX5s though :lol: