Suggestions for a project car (budget)

Stutopia

When I got the Zed and saw all the cool mods members do, I had big ideas for getting a bit greasy. A combination of her being my daily driver and me being too scared to break the car I've come to love, I've only done little bits 'n' pieces. The stuff I'd like to learn is going to require a sandbox car, something that can sit around when I have no budget, with zero pressure to finish it.

I'm hoping for some suggestions for something cheap to buy, but most importantly, relatively easy to get to grips with for a learner. I think an old beetle might be a good starting point but I'd really appreciate suggestions from people who actually know their shizzle, over my guesswork...

Thanks anyone who has any ideas along the lines of; upto 3k to buy (cheaper is better), easy to work on, cheapish parts, not massive in size, I'm not a brand snob, could be anything at all with 4 wheels and an owner community as good as this one :)

There's a guy up the road from me who always seems to be playing about with MGTF's. He nearly always has 3 or 4 and I once counted 6 on his land. They're a pretty looking car IMHO and for sure there'll be online community.

Pete

Mazda MX5. Check out MX5Nutz.com, there are a couple of mk1s with a supercharger conversion for less than £3k at the moment and its a great community.

Edited by Gudzy

Can't believe how little you can pick them up for, especially MR2s. I used to love them as a kid.

Anyone owned a Celica GT4, another car I had thing for a while back.

my mates got one, cheap to buy, but can be expensive to maintain, still think the mr2 is the better bet. I found working on mid engine really easy. exhausts are cheaper as they are a lot shorter. manifold changes took very little time as you were looking straight at it. 2 seats light, and as you can get turbo you have new things to play with.

• Like 1

Starlet gt turbo you could pick one up for 1-1.5k that needs work there easy to work on and parts are cheaper than the zed. I used to have one it was like a big go cart and there forum is full of really helpful and friendly people. It's the car I most miss and wish I haven't sold. At 180bhp there bloody quick as well.

Edited by Pete87

Well you've certainly given me some reading to do gang, thanks for the suggestions. The MR2 & MX5 are extremely intriguing, as are Starlet & Pulsar. The Mini is an interesting shout H5, especially with Keyser's blueprint being just a few clicks away, classic got me thinking - I've occasionally thought there might be a bargain dry state Mustang out there somewhere with my name on it...

I brought a Peugeot 106 GTi a little while with the intention of having a better winter car and something I can practice modifying for track use.

Paid £1100 for it and have now spent nearly double that on mods/replacement parts :lol:

Im actually in the process of rebuilding the rear axle which involved learning how to make up copper brake pipes after I had to cut them to get them off the car. Never expected to be doing that!

Been expensive but good/worth while learning experience to be fair :thumbs:

I used to have a Mk2 MR2 which I did some work on but the engine location can make it a bit fiddly, something like an MX5 is probably a good idea.

That or any small light hatchback will be a lot of fun with a bit of weight reduction :teeth:

Edited by longsh07

If you have a garage or lock up, how about a Kit Car Caterham, Locost - F27 etc, great for open & exposed access to all th mechanical & running parts, most built on popular donor cars so the parts are cheap. You can pick cars up well below your budget & on resale you will certainly get your money back and any money youve spent on Mods.

• Like 1