BMW Z4M - Opinions please

georgerobertfreeman

having driven the m engine in a couple of m3's I would take it over the 350z DE any day, I haven't been an HR so i cant comment on that.

Only reason I never went for an m before was people scaring me with running costs, but My mates let me drive his m a few times lately and its very very tempting, the high revving engine is magic, although my zed feels a lot more planted, but that maybe down to my lowered suspension and wide tyres

Edited by flamez

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a Z4M and previously owned a 2006 350z 300 GT.

Dynamically the Z4M is quite far ahead. The engine is an absolute peach and it is faster and sharper than a 350z.

The best was I can describe my opinions of the engines is that the S54 feels like it was designed for its purpose as a high performance engine whereas the VQ35 was designed for a SUV and modified to be suitable for a performance car.

The only disadvantage with the running costs is you have to factor in the valve clearances being done every 28000 miles apart from that the running costs/mpg are similar.

My 350z insurance was £800, Z4M £780 so the same give or take. Interestingly an E46 M3 quote was £1400.

As with the 350z you need to throw away the standard rubber (RE040-350z / Conti M3-Z4M)

The 350z is more comfortable on long journeys and spacious inside – both boots are equally useless although both can easily be used as daily drivers.

Also do not go in a normal Z4 and think the Z4M will ride and handle the same, they are very different.

The 350z looked better but the Z4M drives & goes better.

A 3.0Si Z4 (260-odd BHP) was equal (give or take a car length) to my revup 350z :)

• 4 weeks later...