Cobra v Scorpion

-H-

Having a good look through the forums for some ideas on a replacement exhaust as my stock one sounds horrendous. It's been patched once already and its time for a little upgrade.

I'm wondering how the Scorpion compares to the Cobra? Is one louder than the other. Another concern I have is the drone that several members mention you can get with the Cobra in the 2-2.5 k rev range. Is that really a problem with the resonated version? Would it be the same with the Scorpion? What about build quality and fitting - are both straight forward no-nonsense and will fit without modification? Also having seen pics of the Cobra I'm surprised that pipes from the back box are delivered separate. Why are they not one unit? Are the clips really obvious when looking at the rear of the car?

Thanks.

H

• Like 1

Cobra are not the prettiest IMO but sound better than the Scorpion and the Tip choice is better, unless you prefer the slash cut of the Scorpion, I personally prefer rolled tips.

Benefit of the Scorpion is you can work your way up to a nice sound level, purchase that system first and if you find you want more sound add a Stillen Y pipe, If you want even more then add some High Flow Cats..

If your on a desk top or lap top there are sound clips embedded on most of the exhausts below:

http://tarmac.silver-pride.com/products.aspx?CategoryId=32850911-9f8a-43e4-a5fc-24678e254d1d

I haven't put the Scorpion on just yet, but its probably the most refined

• Like 1

I would just like to weigh in with support for the Cobra.

I had it fitted about a month ago, and I am seriously impressed.

The exhaust sounds subtle and calm below 3k rpm and subsequently didnt upset too many people at the wedding I attended last weekend. But then when you want to make some noise, it is MORE than capable of doing so. When it does so, its a great note that doesnt sound manufactured or over the top, i'd call it "tuneful" ;p.

I guess its personal choice, if you want something that can drive away from your house in the am without waking the neighbors but also alert the M3 you've just overtaken that he's just been overtaken. This is a perfectly suitable choice.

As for the fitting, it was all done at Cougar Store and Mitz there says they are always bang on. He didnt have any issues with mine.

Give Mitz a call at the Cougar Store, he is a good chap and could maybe understand better what you are after over the phone....

Where abouts are you based? I'd be happy to come give you a little spin.

Edited by Jaz 350z
  • Like 2

Where abouts are you, I'm more than happy to let you hear my setup, cobra resonated with motordyne art pipes and stock y pipe for now, did have the cobra y pipe but was to raucous for me :lol:

I have videos in my journal if you want to listen

i really like my scorpion exhaust, quiet when you want it to be but meaty on the throttle. Im looking to get some HFCs to make it a little more loud as I'd like it a little louder. a clip from last year when I had it fitted:

Edited by dave1221

The scorpion ruins the v6 rumble, my mate has it and it sounds like a little 2 litre rally car

Sorry don't agree with that one bit, I have heard plenty in the flesh and they sound nice and beefy like a V6 should

I heard it in the flesh and compared to my nismo system it sounds pathetic

Far too raspy for a v6

He probably has HFCs or decats then as just a scorpion backbox will not be raspy

Yeah he had decats, that's what ruined it

Decats will be raspy with pretty much any exhaust on a Zed, HFCs also, some like the sound, some don't all personal preference.... I put a Pop Charger on which covered up most of the rasp anyway ;)

I have the cobra non resonated, its pretty loud on throttle but does sound great, the drone is quite loud

crusing at 60mph in 6th maybe with 2.5k rpm, mind you it only drones when you want to accelerate slightly,

off throttle its quiete. I dont do many journeys so not a problem for me.

Exhaust does sound great, but does slightly lose the burble tone you get when you release the accelerator

with the stock exhaust, instead you get a pop and a bang... but still sounds great and not chavy.

Hope that helps

Edited by BLINDS122000

Far too raspy for a v6

He probably has HFCs or decats then as just a scorpion backbox will not be raspy

Decats will be raspy with pretty much any exhaust on a Zed, HFCs also, some like the sound, some don't all personal preference.... I put a Pop Charger on which covered up most of the rasp anyway ;)

Don't mean to argue but he has the pop charger, decats, toyo y pipe and the scorpion back box. He even admitted he made a rushed decision he regrets

Only thing I don't like about the Cobra is the puny little backbox, it doesn't sound puny put it certainly looks it....

Small box, big noise :)

Far too raspy for a v6

Don't mean to argue but he has the pop charger, decats, toyo y pipe and the scorpion back box. He even admitted he made a rushed decision he regrets

As Dave said, personal preference :)

Far too raspy for a v6

How is it an argument, like I said personal preference ;) I loved my setup, others thought it was too quiet and too raspy that doesn't make me wrong or them right does it :shrug:

Far too raspy for a v6

How is it an argument, like I said personal preference ;) I loved my setup, others thought it was too quiet and too raspy that doesn't make me wrong or them right does it :shrug:

It isn't an argument just didn't want it to sound like I was going against everything you said, personal preference mate :)